Legal advise on truck theft

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
Hope I'm in the right place with this.

So my 2000 f350 was stolen from my work place.
I work 15 days out in the field and leave it at a gated parking lot at work. The only way in is with a key card. Well that day the gate was broken and left open. There is NO signs stating that the company is responsible for lost or stolen personal items. The truck is not stock and has a lift, mud tires and performance stuff. The insurance company will only compensate the truck, tires and wheels. I'm pretty much loosing alot on this if I go with the insurance claim.

Is my work responsible for this? I'm gone for 15 days and they should protect my property while I'm gone right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Unless your company explicitly stated to you that they will provide shelter and security for your property while at their facility, they likely don't owe you anything. This is why you have insurance.

You can get modification riders on your policies if you start doing that, but your insurance isn't going to reimburse you modification costs if they didn't know it was there and they couldn't adjust your premiums as a result.

You can always talk with your company to see if they can help you out.

Finally, while there's a few lawyers on this board, if you're seeking legal council, you need to actually talk to an attorney in your area that specializes in such matters and knows your local codes, laws and ordinances.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You might want to be careful. If you tell your insurance that you think maybe your company should pay, they could likely decide to pursue it with or without your blessing. That could mean a very very long time before you see a penny.

MG0h3

Established Member
Man sorry to hear about the theft.

I'd say it's a fine line because you don't want to burn your employer, or more likely yourself, by taking legal action. Even taking a hard stance with them may hurt your position there.

Fwiw, a good friend works for the GOV on a military base. They had a contractor come paint some buildings and the guy did it in high wind and overspray hit several vehicles. His is an 11GT and the other was a Raptor. Both guys had to use their own insurance and pay the deductible. I was pretty surprised.

oldmodman

Established Member
Any security cameras in the lot? It would be interesting to know if it was a single person theft, at night, or a tow truck, or??

jshen

Established Member
NO- they are not responsible, unless you can show company agent stole it! You can sue the thief when arrested....if arrested/caught. However check with company insurance and see if their policy covers thefts on premises. Otherwise you only have your insurance.

Mach828

Established Member
Don't accept their offer, and get an independent appraisal done. Hopefully you have all your receipts and plenty of photos. Once I didn't accept and had my own appraisal to back it up, they did a third appraisal. I still took a hit when my truck was stolen but it wasn't as bad as their initial offer of a stock truck.

o2gt

Established Member
what have the police said? you might be able to get restitution from the thief if they have any money and are arrested. whats has your employer said at this point? they might not be on the hook even if the thief is an agent or an employee.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
So no signs stating there not responsible isn't enough? It has to be on paper?

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
You might want to be careful. If you tell your insurance that you think maybe your company should pay, they could likely decide to pursue it with or without your blessing. That could mean a very very long time before you see a penny.
To late for that I already did the claim and waiting for the estimate. I have feeling it's not going to be anywhere near the value.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
Man sorry to hear about the theft.

I'd say it's a fine line because you don't want to burn your employer, or more likely yourself, by taking legal action. Even taking a hard stance with them may hurt your position there.

Fwiw, a good friend works for the GOV on a military base. They had a contractor come paint some buildings and the guy did it in high wind and overspray hit several vehicles. His is an 11GT and the other was a Raptor. Both guys had to use their own insurance and pay the deductible. I was pretty surprised.
Thanks man. Ya I don't want to loose my job, I love it. But this is just wrong. At least state it somewhere or send a company wide email saying there not responsible.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
Any security cameras in the lot? It would be interesting to know if it was a single person theft, at night, or a tow truck, or??
It happened while I was gone. But someone saw my truck leave at 4-6pm. They thought it was me. There is security cameras but there protecting the company vehicles and shop area. There is 1 camera facing the parking lot where my truck was parked but it's very hazy and you can only make out colors of the vehicle if that. It's about 300-400 feet away. The camera needs to be cleaned and that's another battle

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
what have the police said? you might be able to get restitution from the thief if they have any money and are arrested. whats has your employer said at this point? they might not be on the hook even if the thief is an agent or an employee.
By the time I found out it was stolen it had been 2 days. The sheriff said it's most likely in mexico already. If they do catch someone there will be charges filled.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
By the time I found out it was stolen it had been 2 days. The sheriff said it's most likely in mexico already. If they do catch someone there will be charges filled.

They think it's an inside job because my truck isn't the first one to get stolen or broken into. All they are doing is having the police investigate. But that's going to go nowhere.

AAG

Established Member
You think your place of employment is responsible for someone stealing your modified truck that you failed to insure properly because they didn't have a sign???

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
You think your place of employment is responsible for someone stealing your modified truck that you failed to insure properly because they didn't have a sign???
If I went home everyday no. But if I'm gone on a job they should have proper security for my personal property. Modified or not it's just wrong. What if I happened to show up while they were stealing it. Security should be provided.

Well I talked to a lawyer and he said I could win but wouldn't be worth it. I should just take the hit and learn from it.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
well they found my truck!!:) the tail gate, rear bumper, side steps, interior lights, rear cab light and a XD40 all gone. he did some damage to the seats and body. he left some stuff on the truck where he could have made some good money from. he also left me a needle with a baggy of heroin in it lol. lucky for me he was a heroin addict and not a cartel lol. the insurance company cut me a check for the damage and with a clean title.
learned a lot from this experience and for those fellow F series owners get as many anti theft devices you can, I got the viper alarm, gps, remote start, revalco and a custom made steering column lock. if a thief wants your truck hes going to get it but atleast make it hard for them.

CV355

_
Established Member
Wow, glad you got it back!

I wouldn't worry too much about the scum-sucking burglar- sounds like his days are limited anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread