Liberty 26 Spline Input Shaft Installation,,,Pix!!

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Everyone has different opinions about the transmission fluid.

For the Cobra transmission Tremec recommends dexron III and that's what I used. I can't remember the quantity off the top of my head but I want to say 4 quarts. The auto parts store should be able to look up the quantity.

The easiest way to fill it after it's installed in the car is to open the fill plug on the side and buy about 4-5' of rubber line that fits over the quart nipple and inside the drain hole and let gravity fill it until it comes out of the fill hole.

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
nice yeah i searched a bit. seems gm synchromesh is one of the better and 4 qt fluid. I have royal purple so may just go with that.

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
so i found the problem the tremec shaft does not come with the race installed in the back of the shaft......:fm: so after the 3$ race put it in with factory .034 shim and what do ya know perfect :lol: good to go

So does anyone know this race's part number. or some specs so we can get it before we get into this job

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
new and old version of the 26 spline
P1040490.jpg

and the new clutch
P1040494.jpg

Maverick281SVT

tHANKS eviL FOR POSTING THIS, the picture of the TOB sleeve saved me. My dealorship had no idea what i was talking about then i had them look at the pics and then they found it for me. Mine just broke today...always happens on the weekends for some reason. So new clutch and and sleeve go in monday... Anyway thanks again for the great post.

Same here Dealership was at a loss i showed them pics and they figured it out. I had already ordered the Lethal Performance Retainer Sleeve though. Awesome write up :rockon:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Tremec Transmission Service Manuals and other service docs. FREE
Check it out.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ct.asp#Service

FASTENER TIGHTENING SPECIFICATIONS
No.V DESCRIPTION TORQUE
2 Adapter Plug 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m)
178 Adapter to Transmission Case Bolts 26 lb. ft. (35 N.m)
59 Backup Lamp Switch 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m)
166 Clutch Fork Bolt 18 lb. ft. (25 N.m) w/ Loctite 242
163 Clutch Housing to Adapter Bolt 26 lb. ft. (35 N.m)
48 Cover Plate Bolts 15 lb. ft. (20 N.m)
101 Extension Housing Plug 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m)
100 Extension Housing to Transmission Case Bolts 26 lb. ft. (35 N.m)
133 Reverse Idler Shaft Bracket Bolts 18 lb. ft. (25 N.m) w/ Loctite 242
90 Reverse Lockout Assembly Bolt 13 lb. ft. (18 N.m)
89, 181 Reverse Lockout Solenoid, Skip Shift Solenoid 30 lb. ft. (40 N.m)
97 Shifter Bolts 15 lb. ft. (27 N.m)
56 Shift Detent Assembly 30 lb. ft. (40 N.m)
45, 46 Shift Lever Guide Bolts 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m)
54 Shift Guide Plate Bolts 16 lb. ft. (22 N.m)
60 Transmission Case Fill Plug 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m)
88 Vehicle Speed Sensor Bolt 7.5 lb. ft. (10 N.m)

Maverick281SVT

@mobius @EvilBlack thanks for the input i used the untra black RTV sealer and tighened the bolts tight but not too tight wouldnt want to strip trans case threads... Got the bearing retainer on and case back together next up TOB and tranny reinstall

five 0 ninja

Established Member
I have the tranny out to do the clutch. Also bought the lethal bearing retainer. Never really worked on tranny internals. Trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done to replace the sleeve and what I will need. Sounds like I unbolt the front of trans. Will anything be falling out at that point like bearings or races or anything? Then I simply hammer out the old bearing retainer? Will seals or anything need to be removed seperately? Then hammer new retainer in with a socket? Is everything needed to seal already installed on the lethal retainer when you recieve it? Then I put some black or grey rtv sealant on front cover and bolt it back on? No need to mess with the input shaft or shims or anything else? Thanks

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I have the tranny out to do the clutch. Also bought the lethal bearing retainer. Never really worked on tranny internals. Trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done to replace the sleeve and what I will need. Sounds like I unbolt the front of trans. Will anything be falling out at that point like bearings or races or anything? Then I simply hammer out the old bearing retainer? Will seals or anything need to be removed seperately? Then hammer new retainer in with a socket? Is everything needed to seal already installed on the lethal retainer when you recieve it? Then I put some black or grey rtv sealant on front cover and bolt it back on? No need to mess with the input shaft or shims or anything else? Thanks

Having the service manual will help...

swisscobra

I'm confused now. Some people are talking about freeplay of the input shaft, others about preload. I read the manual from TTC Transmission Technologies Corporation, there they're talking about preload for the countershaft shim and freeplay for the input/mainshaft shim and also for the countershaft extension shim. In my workshop manual from the ford company(technical support operations) they set a preload of 0-0.05mm for all the shafts? What is now correct? I should learn for my semester exams instead of searching such infos :)
To set the input shaft to a freeplay is easy to measure when it's assambled. A preload i think first measure with freeplay and ad the correct shim that it result in the correct preload?!
Thanks in advance for your help. And please excuse my english, it's not my native language. By the way im from switzerland.

Users who are viewing this thread