Lifter tick and oil weight

DG500

Established Member
Okay, so let me start by saying that I have searched up and down and get a lot of info, but nothing definitive. I have what sounds like a lifter tick coming from the drivers side rear of the motor. It only make the sound when hot and at or just above idle. In other words, in clears up when oil pressure is restored.
I read dozens of posts. Some claiming it was spark plug threads (I pulled the plugs and checked that out) so saying they replaced lifters and had the noise leave for a while and return, some have blamed an exhaust heat shield.

Since it only does it under the circumstances described, I can say that it isn't some exhaust thing and it isn't a lose plug.

I bought the car a couple weeks ago with 11k on the odometer and clean as can be. Traded in my terminator for it. The first night I noticed the lifter tick in a drive through. I immediately took a look and noticed that the car calls for 5w50 and it had some cheap carquest filter and some conventional looking oil. I rad to the dealer the next day and picked up the ford racing filter and 9 quarts of 5w50 MC. That didn't help at all.

I do have a warranty but I trust dealer mechanics about as much as my dentists assistant that he bones on the side.

I have seen plenty of threads where people swear by 10w40 amsoil in this application and a few cases where people state that it cleared up the lifter tick. Can anyone say without a doubt that they changed oil weight and it cleared up lifter noise?

My terminator which was basically the same motor (same lifters, same oil pump and same overall oil design) ran great on the recommended 5w30 or 5w20. Does this car call for 5w50 because of the piston squirters or the oil cooler? I don't know what advantage there would be to the heavy weight.

To the people who have had a different weight help, is that the 10W or the w450 part that helps? Is it too thick or too thin. I would rather run an oil I can pickup locally. I am half tempoted to drain the $100 worth of oil in it and refill with my leftover mobil 1 5w30 and mobil 1 filter I still have on the shelf for the old terminator.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
My 14' has the tick, same as my 2005 and even my 1995. Drove me nuts at first as well, but it seems to be a Ford thing. I run 5w50 MC and the factory stock filter, $3.95 at Walmart. Some go with the Racing, but the info I have read on it, its is higher flow, less filter, because it is changed after every race. So I just go with he factory recommendation. Just my two cents, I am sure others will chime in with theirs.

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
I have a similar sound that seems to be more or so present when the motor is up to operating temperatures, but is a bit intermittent and random as to it's audibility. The sound I hear is a bit of a tapping sound, and will increase in speed with rpm of the motor, but is mostly audible at idle. It's sourcing from the drivers side of the motor as well and is most noticeable near the wheel well.
I've taken it to the local Ford dealer who claims it's normal operation and not to be concerned. I've hear several other 2013/2014 cars and none of them exhibit the same noise.

With that said, I would encourage you to keep posted on this as I'm curious as to what others find.

DaveJP

Established Member
Seems to be common to 13's and 14's without any effects on performance or durability. You can search on several forums and some members have gone through replacements, tear downs, etc...never solving this ticking noise. I can tell you that my observations are:
- only happens after engine is warm and only at idle to 1500 rpm
- like clockwork, the noise goes away after about 1500 to 2000 miles into an oil change - after a fresh change, it comes right back under the same conditions.

mrpork

Established Member
hmmm i have a noise but only at 3000 rpm's. sounds like an exhaust leak kind of. It's louder when warm up. Thought it was piston slap. Anyone ever hear of this in our 13-14's.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I have a 12, I had the noise as well only from the passenger side. It bothered me, so I started trying what everyone said. I went with Amsoil 10w40 with Amsoil oil filter then Royal purple 10w40 with Royal purple filter. Both these combos proved to be a waste of money as NO CHANGE in small knocking sound around 1500 rpm was apparent. Honestly I gave up on it. Then my next season came around and I thought I would give Royal purple 5 w 40 a try with the Ford Motorcraft filter. Truthfully I wasn't even trying to solve the mystery noise anymore but after that oil change I noticed it was running smoother. I then backed it into my garage (when i always hear the small knock) and it was GONE! Of course the regular sounds of this engine are still there (timing chain running along its guides,injectors, small gear whine from the charger) but that knocking is gone and has been gone for more than a year and two oil changes. Its worth a shot if you ask me. Also took it to the track twice so the oil must have sheared by now having been around (and into ) the raised red line of 6525 rpm. Hope this helps.

paluka21

Established Member
I run Motorcraft oil and filter.

Mine doesn't change regardless of oil life.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone install a real oil pressure gauge to see just how much oil pressure you're pushing at idle on a hot engine? There's a lot of places oil pressure leaks out on these on these engines, 32 lash adjusters, 24 cam tower oil holes and 4 chain tensioners. But, I'm wondering if the oil squirters aren't just another source of leakage that further serves to bleed off pressure. I had those oil squirter passages blocked off in my 5.8 short block.

DG500

Established Member
so, I just had a thought about this... My terminator used to get a similar tick when it was really hot (some nasty hard driving) but I would also get a little knocking from the same spot. I installed the head cooling mod and cleared up both. on the newer motors, did they add any coolant relief at the rear of the drivers side head? does anyone do the head cooling mod on the 5.4 and 5.8s?
The lifters in these motors get soft when they get hot. My terminator would sound like a sewing machine when it overheated.
It kinda leads me to wonder if a 170* thermostat would help.
I would think if it were oil pressure you would be hearing all the lifters. I had a Mitsubishi Starion with a missing oil plug and every lifter clattered equally.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There is a port in the intake manifold in the rear with a cross over. I'd give the 170* stat a shot. The reason I say it's pressure related is because when oil gets hot, the oil pressure drops. Typically heat expands components, so it's not likely to be related directly to the lash adjusters or the followers making the tick. It's the drop in viscosity caused by heat.

paluka21

Established Member
OP or others experiencing this ticking/tapping sound: Can you post a quick video providing an example of the noise you're hearing.
The breakdown in the oil causing a pressure drop would make sense, but as mentioned I would expect to hear a similar issue on the passenger side as well. With a 5 weight oil it would "seem" that using a heavier oil may help to coat the engine parts better.

paluka21

Established Member
Here's a quick cell phone video of the tapping sound I hear, which seems to source from the drivers side near the oil pan.

[video=youtube;du-2FuAqeDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-2FuAqeDM[/video]

Last edited:

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
As soon as I bought my car new in March 2013, I changed the oil to 10w30 M1 and eventually Amsoil SS. I switched to Amsoil 0w40 SS last year and the engine has no tick.

Last edited:

DG500

Established Member
so, I went to do a video of the sound today and it stopped. I did a lot of driving this weekend and I think it is just as people have been saying, the 5w50 sheers down a little and pumps easier. Thinking about changing over to the 5w30 M1 trhat i already have in the garage and see.

One other note though. My car has the track pack, so it have the track pack cooler. Can anyone else who has the noise tell me if they have the standard or track pack cooler?

fearthesnake

Established Member
People are running 5w40 Oil with no concerns? How does this help stop the tick and any long term effect on the motor?

DG500

Established Member
well, it came back. Got to work in the morning and heard this.

[video=youtube;fUO2U7CVNE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUO2U7CVNE4[/video]

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
I have that same tick but it comes and goes. I've taken my car to the dealership I bought it from three times and they claim nothing's wrong with it.

paluka21

Established Member
well, it came back. Got to work in the morning and heard this.

[video=youtube;fUO2U7CVNE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUO2U7CVNE4[/video]

That's the exact same tap/tick that I'm experiencing. Given these motors are hand built perhaps it comes down to tolerances in the motor. It's just odd that it's not present 100% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread