Lightweight Brakes

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I am looking for recommendations for a lighter brake setup. 2013 Base Auto stock brakes are in need of replacement and I figured I may as well choose something lighter since they have to be done anyway.

The car sees 90% street driven time, 10% dragstrip so they must perform well for daily duty.

Also, what do the stock brakes weigh?

Any input is appreciated!

WIST2013GT

Established Member
What's your budget?
Why the weight concern if its a 90% daily street ride?
Just curious.

The car needs brakes soon anyway, so its a good time to upgrade. I'm looking to compare the price of stock replacement pads and rotors to an upgraded light weight system and determine if the weight loss is worth the coin.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know what the 13.2" rotors weigh but this link shows the 14" rotors for brembo cars weigh 25.4 lbs each. I'm guessing the 13.2" rotors weigh about 20.

The quickest & cheapest way to get lighter rotors would be to get drilled and slotted rotors from PowerStop or StopTech. Probably only a 1-2 pound difference per rotor.

RockAuto usually has the best prices but you might be able to get a local chain auto store to price match.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,mustang,5.0l+v8,1503807,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

A two-piece rotor would be lighter still but expensive. More importantly, I am not aware of anyone making a 2-pc rotor for a 13.2" size. Probably because a 2-pc rotor with the stock 2-piston sliding calipers would be wasted money and look pretty silly.

I don't think there is any measurable weight savings to be found with different pads but I would recommend ceramic pads to improve your braking performance and reduce brake dust.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
J
The car needs brakes soon anyway, so its a good time to upgrade. I'm looking to compare the price of stock replacement pads and rotors to an upgraded light weight system and determine if the weight loss is worth the coin.
I just remember reading somewhere that upgrading to the Brembo calipers and rotors that were offered were the most cost effective upgrade. I believe that is the 14 inch rotors.
One of the guys that tracked his car mentioned that non slotted Centric premium rotors were just as good as anything else they tested on a budget.
I am sorry as I cannot remember who but they said the only upgrade that made a really noticeable difference on the track was upgrading to one of the high dollar kits.
Guess that doesn't help with "lightweight" too much.
Stock brakes performance can be improved with upgraded pads (aggressive) but it wont save you any weight.
The whole slotted and drilled never got my attention because of reported cracking with the drilled holes...
I remember reading about a guy that dropped a couple thousand on two piece rotors ....don't know if my memory is correct about the exact price and cant remember if that included calipers or it was just rotors.

noldevin

Established Member
Those Baer front drag brakes are pretty nice and shave a lot of weight. Perfectly fine for street duty or drag strip use. I wouldn't want them for repeated heavy brake use though, they sacrifice fade resistance and a bit of stopping power to shave all that weight.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I'll save some money and go with a new rotor and pad combo and call it a day.

chris_302

Established Member
DO not purchase drilled and slotted, they tend to crack. I would stick to slotted only.
Look into a 4 pot brembo kit from a 12-13 GT, that should be more than enough.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Drilled/slotted are generally for looks and I doubt it really saves much weight. Since you have a non-Brembo car there is probably no viable lightweight option, as others mentioned. For lightweight 14" (Brembo) rotors, assuming you have a big budget, 2-piece are the way to go. You will save approximately 5 lbs per rotor.

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Front-2pc-Floating-Rotors-for-Mustang-GT500-07-12_p_6316.html
http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2011-2014_Mustang_GT_with_Brembo_Brake_Parts.htm

For track days I run the Centric Premium rotors as it's just hard to beat for the price. Even the good 2-piece rotors will start to develop cracks over time if you run enough heat into them. So it's hard to justify unless you have really deep pockets. $200/pair vs $800+ (or $600+ just for replacement rings).

chris_302

Established Member
You get your money's worth out of the 2-piece rotors. BTW you will not crack them at all if it's driven 90% of the time. They are great rotors and there are many 2-piece rotors on OEM vehicles.

jayk17

Established Member
Try to check out aerospacecomponents. They have lightweight brakes for Mustang.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Former sponsor Full Tilt Boogie Racing has some nice light street/strip rotors.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread