Lincoln MKS at the dragstrip

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Took my 2012 Lincoln MKS to the dragstrip last Friday. Weather was crap and the DA was 3260, but it was the only time I could run. A guy was going to bring his 2016 Chevy SS sedan because we’ve been talking smack for the last two months but ended up not making it. My mods are 3-bar, 170 thermostat and Livernois 93+X tune. Car weights 4617 with me in it! (I’m 170)...

With the weather being crap, there was plenty of time to run! A friend recorded all my races and the only one to beat me was a Scat Pack Challenger with the 6.4/auto. Otherwise, I beat a C5 Corvette, Focus RS and VW GTI (Cobb tune). My best run was a 13.32 @ 103mph. With better weather, camera gear/baby seat/spare tire removed, 12’s are more than doable.

4637EFF5-3E48-430C-BD57-6A438A73AA45.jpeg

7F8FE995-D2DC-45A3-8BBC-58D99115E79E.jpeg

67F84B60-E031-4E34-8A49-0D721C4C1075.jpeg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I love those cars. Great interiors and comfortable. Plus they look pretty good in black.

When they're modded, they can really roll out. I'm impressed

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
That's just cool! Awesome runs man!

Thanks! The cool part was a group of guys who came out with a Hellcat Charger and Challenger. They were sitting next to my buddy during my first solo pass and were seriously impressed. They had no idea the car was going to be that quick or knew what it was. Hell, no one really knows what an MKS is and most probably expect an old man with a walker to step out.

Nice! Can't wait to get a baseline on my new truck before the track closes for the season.

I'm curious to see how the newer 3.5/10-speed work as well! There was a '15+ 4-door F150 that was hauling the mail. Started off around a 13.0 and the last pass I saw was a 12.5. No idea who tuned it and what all was done, but he was moving for sure.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very nice runs! Congrats! I'm sure you surprised them all with your sedan. It runs really strong. You caught that RS pretty much just like the Scat Pack caught you. Hope you dip into 12s soon. ;)

Kiohtee

Established Member
Are you sure they were racing you and not just the clock? When i go to the track, i am there for a slip, not to beat the guy next to me.

Even if they were, so what? Watch his videos. Only one car, the Scat Pack, was quicker and/or faster. So, while I agree that when I'm at the track I'm only racing the clock, your theory doesn't hold up in this case.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Yea my old '15 ran 12.98 @ 104 with a tune and basic boltons. I'll tell you the '17 with the 10 speed and gen 2 motor feels noticeably faster.

black92 said:
I'm curious to see how the newer 3.5/10-speed work as well! There was a '15+ 4-door F150 that was hauling the mail. Started off around a 13.0 and the last pass I saw was a 12.5. No idea who tuned it and what all was done, but he was moving for sure.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Are you sure they were racing you and not just the clock? When i go to the track, i am there for a slip, not to beat the guy next to me.

Each person I raced other than the Corvette, I asked if they wanted to run and only the Scat Pack had the faster ET against me.

Very nice runs! Congrats! I'm sure you surprised them all with your sedan. It runs really strong. You caught that RS pretty much just like the Scat Pack caught you. Hope you dip into 12s soon. ;)

Thanks Bob! The RS was using his launch control and was KILLING it on the reaction time. He hot lapped that car and drove it like he stole it!

Yea my old '15 ran 12.98 @ 104 with a tune and basic boltons. I'll tell you the '17 with the 10 speed and gen 2 motor feels noticeably faster.

I'm curious to see how the gen2 motors respond and if the fueling limitation has been addressed. I look forward to your updates!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm surprised at the trap and ET of the scat pack, especially being A8. I went a 12.7@113 at that very track in my 2012 GT with a DA of 3159. My car was stock on the stock pirellis.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
The livernois tunes are pretty solid. Took my 17 fusion sport on the 93 tune for a few runs yesterday and managed to pull a [email protected] 1.8 60ft. Was in the mid 80s out so looking forward to seeing how it does in cooler air as well.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Awesome.

My Jetta is too slow. I need a faster beater lol

The values on the MKS/SHO have tanked lately and IMO, they are underappreciated cars. The only complaint I have about mine other than not being a cornering monster are the brakes. That's easily fixed by upgrading to the 2013+ brakes and master cylinder (all a direct swap). I have only spent $600 in mods. Next and last on the list will be catted down-pipes which should improve the top end pull and put me solidly into the 12's.

I'm surprised at the trap and ET of the scat pack, especially being A8. I went a 12.7@113 at that very track in my 2012 GT with a DA of 3159. My car was stock on the stock pirellis.

This was the guys first time out and he started off running 13.9's. After he dropped to a 13.0 is when I asked if he wanted to run because it would be a fun race. He did end up running a 12.93 later that night and he is a pretty big guy himself. I have no doubt that he can push it a little faster once he gets more seat time.

The livernois tunes are pretty solid. Took my 17 fusion sport on the 93 tune for a few runs yesterday and managed to pull a [email protected] 1.8 60ft. Was in the mid 80s out so looking forward to seeing how it does in cooler air as well.

That's moving! 1.8 60ft is very solid and you must have had decent track prep! My best was a 1.9, but the trans refused to go into second, so I backed off and didn't try launching hard again. I only launched around 1800 rpm and it struggled even then to find traction and it didn't help any that I had around 35lbs in the tires. My thought was to run the car as if I were to pull up to a stop light on the street.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
track prep was good - always try and be one the first cars to make a pass after they open things up.

Starts to get sloppy when all the newbies don't know how to drive around the water box.

Never_Enough

Established Member
track prep was good - always try and be one the first cars to make a pass after they open things up.

Starts to get sloppy when all the newbies don't know how to drive around the water box.
Or it could be like here & no way around it. The 1 thing I don't like about Atco when I am on street tires.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Or it could be like here & no way around it. The 1 thing I don't like about Atco when I am on street tires.

Getting around the water box was pretty simple. I think they didn’t prep the track all that great since it was just a test and tune night. Here’s a picture I took before my first run.
E41D8FA4-652F-489E-99A8-EA39716B7CFE.jpeg

Focus RS and VW GTI
42ADA084-208B-4B9C-955D-32D7D8008E13.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread