Liquid wrap?

Bioburner

Established Member
Tried a search and that was a bust. A CL listing the owner is selling a 13 Gt with some serious body mods had his car done and looks pretty good.

I had never seen it before with a clear finish. Was a silver.
Anyone tried it and where is more info available?
2013 ford gt with effects.jpg

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Bro don't go anywhere that stuff..... You will be so disappointed. I had a beater dipped, it was terrible. It was a real ****ing pain to take off also. I'm sure there will be people to argue this all day, but do this. Go to the parts store and buy a spray can of plastidip. If you have an old fender around or really any old piece of metal laying around. Go ahead and put several coats on it. Let it dry and check it out, make your own mind up. What you will find out is you basically you sprayed a layer of latex on the piece. Take a wash mit and soapy water and wash it just like you would your car. It will drag etc, now imagine your whole car like that. I hated it. I didn't really look that great either. Sure it looks great on internet videos, ummm up close i think you're going to find it a different story. It felt just like latex glove was stretched over my car. I was always on pins and needles when I filled up with gas, thinking oh man if I get 2 drops of gas on this is it going to eat a whole in this. Like I say go ahead and spray some scrap item first and see for yourself. I doubt you're going to like it. If possible, check a dipped car out in person. On the internet this looked awesome, I went ahead and had a beater dipped. Once I saw it in person I hated it. Even if it does "look" perfect, its still just a thin rubber coating. Thin rubber coatings are not tough....lol.....

Bioburner

Established Member
When and what was the manufacture? I can remember when auto paints started to go to water base.
I have used plasticote for the roof on a Scion Xb aka the dog hauler and its on the second year.
Trying to find car shows in South TX this late fall-winter and see if the local shops will show off the product

SilverCoyote

Established Member
To be honest...it was a buddy of mine that was trying to start a business. Im not really sure what he used. This was a year or so ago. I tried couple different kinds of spray from parts stores and scraps just to see if they were better. It seems like everyone is making a "plastidip" type spray rubber coating. I coated some stuff with a few different types, personally I didn't care for the whole premise. Even if it was applied perfectly, which mine wasn't....lol... After getting a closer look I didn't care for the whole idea. No matter what the brand, or how it is applied, it is still just a thin rubber coating. Rubber really doesnt hold up well to oils, gas etc. If you sprayed it on the roof and you are happy with it, thats cool. I just didn't care for it at all and I thought I would share my thoughts in case you had never dealt with it.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Also... Plastikote is actually enamel spray paint, which is actually tough and will hold up pretty good. So.... "Plastikote" brand spray paint is not the rubber spray im talking about.

well... unless Plastikote is also making some type of "rubber spray" in addition to their spraypaint...

Bioburner

Established Member
It did the job of helping keep the car cool and I experimented two days ago removing with turbo nozzled 1600 psi power washer and not a problem with removing. Will probably have a shop paint the roof and hood a nice platinum. But the car was a cheap salvage that just kinda grew on us.

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
I did mine. it peels fine, i've redone the roof and the passenger door. Peeled easy. Dont use dipyourcar spray cans to paint anything related to your car. Spray with the gallons and the spray system and you'll have completely different results. I've got 8 coats on this thing. It peels off like a vinyl wrap.

i take it to car washes and hit it with the pressure washer all the time, its durable as hell. I even run it through the automated car washes.

Everything peels easy and clean as long as its applied properly.

Attachments

• IMG_7312.JPG
    IMG_7312.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 176

Zemedici

Established Member
^^Looks good

Would y'all set up avatars? Looks like 15 of the same person talking to himself. hahahah

Users who are viewing this thread