LIttle P1 that could.... Procharged S550

DarkMach1

Established Member
I'll check it out, but no the maf table used in previous gen mustangs is no longer used.

Planning on throwing on a good belt too? Man I was doing some late night forum reading and saw on the blower thread you have a D1x with a 4.5” pulley and seeing 9psi. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome of the BOV swap. Procharger themselves says it’s difficult to get a D1sc to stay below 12psi. Normally requires a 4.88 pulley and still hits 12. Excited to see your results.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Planning on throwing on a good belt too? Man I was doing some late night forum reading and saw on the blower thread you have a D1x with a 4.5” pulley and seeing 9psi. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome of the BOV swap. Procharger themselves says it’s difficult to get a D1sc to stay below 12psi. Normally requires a 4.88 pulley and still hits 12. Excited to see your results.

I currently have a gates RPM belt and a gates green belt as a backup to that. I read that post as well about the dialing back the d1sc ;-)

S550 is a little different than s197. S550 I believe the majority of the kits use a shared drive vs S197 typically uses a procharger crank pulley so the blower speeds could vary from s550/s197 even using the same blower pulley. Monday the new BOV should be installed though so we'll see at that time. It will be interesting to get before/after data though.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
SO I guess your results^ changed Bill's mind on the Pro-Flo valve that he thought was fine, haha! Can't blame him I praised it in my first post too in this thread..

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
SO I guess your results^ changed Bill's mind on the Pro-Flo valve that he thought was fine, haha! Can't blame him I praised it in my first post too in this thread..

Not really, I'm definitely glad it worked out for him but I'm upgrading because I've had a tube pop on 3 occasions when smacking the the limiter that I'm troubleshooting. If I pick up some extra boost at the time, great. There is a surging issue that I'm also curious to see if the new one affects it, but thanks for speaking on my behalf.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The pro-flo butterfly valve is pretty damm tiny, you'll be able to vent a lot more pressurized air with your new one.

I believe its 1.5", vs 2.0" for the turbosmart one, I hope it helps, being towed off the track only to find a hose popped off sucked, I'd hate for it to happen again. When it did it again on the dyno during a dyno day TWICE it was pretty embarrassing. Funny thing is it has never done it on the street but then again I'm not exactly running around trying to bang against the rev limiter. Either way I'll be happy to report my results once its on and I get some test pulls.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I do wonder how long these clamps will hold these rubber charge lines. Lol. I try to limit revs (and therefore boost) whenever possible.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I typically do 6 or so 3000-7000 pulls per day just either screwing around with the tune or testing things like maf hz lol. I bought the car to have fun, not to limp around, I could do that in my minivan :)

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah I never spin it over 7k on the street, my tune is set to shift at basically the factory points and most of my pulls are in manual mode :)

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
wB1NlcI5muCJgNEl1

XGm5An8LR4ZTPf3m2

Got the new BOV installed, working fine, waiting for it to cool down a bit to get to similar testing temp as the last time I made some pulls to try and get a 1:1 comparison. Initial impressions:doesn't feel any different.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGm5An8LR4ZTPf3m2

Last edited:

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ok, so testing completed and unfortunately unlike darkmach1 no extra boosts for me lol.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fc860CcDQv5yUynX2

The pic on the left is todays run
The pic on the right was from 2 nights again, pre BOV

As you can see @ 6800 rpms the maf lb/hr is 80.85 vs 79.79 which is a negligible difference

Maf hz 8798 vs 8736

ambient air today was 72 whereas it was 75 pre bov so within 3* and actually slightly better today.

"inferred" map was 175.8 vs 174.4 which is about a .2 psi difference.

Air load today was actually slightly lower than it was pre bov.

so in conclusion you probably had a dud of a BOV but I definitely think your situation was probably an isolated case and that whatever boost is seeping out is really negligible.

Hope this helps clear some things up for you and anyone else following your thread.
XGm5An8LR4ZTPf3m2

DarkMach1

Established Member
Sucks it didn’t work out for you. Still believe that blower has way more in it than 9psi at 7000.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Bill you said the main reason for the change was the surging, did that improve?
Also is the WOOSH sound a lot louder with the new valve?

DarkMach1

Established Member
I think I can improve on that +3mph though. Im going this coming friday, though weather is getting progressively shittier I think I can do a little better with the new shift points.

And I must say, the whooosh is way nicer now. More noticeable, just not overwhelming.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
XGm5An8LR4ZTPf3m2

Bill you said the main reason for the change was the surging, did that improve?
Also is the WOOSH sound a lot louder with the new valve?

unfortunately it doesn't appear to have been the cause of the surge. I had the filter off my pro flow and to be honest its not a TON louder but it is somewhat louder. It definitely moves a ton of air.

bunits19714

Established Member
Does PBIR really enforce the diaper rule or is that just stated in their rules? Also I arrive in s florida Monday for 4 days how is the tnt on Wed evenings @ PBIR? May have to run the rental car - lol.

Users who are viewing this thread