Looking for Sticky Rear Wheel/Tire Set-up to Match Boss Wheels

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Looking for a rear wheel set-up that I can occasionally use in dry weather that won’t look out of place with the front Boss wheels. Can’t find another set of rear Boss wheels or else I’d do that. Even so, the 19” & 9.5 size limits my choices (NT05r 305 sidewall is too big IMO).

Don’t want to use a bias ply due to sway. Not looking to dump the clutch so a DR will do. Just need some more traction in 2nd 3rd. Swapping out the 3.73 for 3.31 soon which will also help.

Any suggestions?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
are u looking for rears the same size as the fronts?

personally I think a set of 17x7 up front and 15x10 with a MT Radial Pro is what would work best for you.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Want to keep stock Boss wheels up front 19 x 9, but I may have to do a big/little set up due to limited 19” DR options. The radial pro isn’t street legal so I may try the ET Street R (275/60/15?). The SS have structural problems so they’re out.

What do u recommend for a Wheel manufacturer that won’t break the bank? Would like the stock lugs to work.

Thanks!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea if ur dead set on keeping the Front 19x9in wheels I would probably go with the same size in the rear then.

IMO the big front rim small rear rim/tire works with a 17 inch up front and a 15 inch out back but not so much with a 19 inch and say 17 inch but thats definitely an option. I see it all the time at the track. but to be honest it just doesn't look right but thats just my opinion.

there are quite a few 17 inch options. Billet Specialties has some nice wheels and their reasonably priced and will have bolt patterns to fit your car. the Brembos are sometimes an issue so I would call and ask cause that info isn't always listed.

I had the Forgestar 19x9 up front and 19x10 out back with the Nitto NTO5r's and they actually hooked up fairly decent with anything under 700 hp.

and the DR being "Street Legal" or not is all nonsense. NONE of them are designed to do anything but hook-up. u plan on driving ur car in the rain? doubtful so being "Street Legal" is kinda silly. so it has a few slices in it for rain lol they ALL blow in the rain and I've tried them all over the years.

so if your looking for the stickiest it will only happen with the Radial Pro in a 15 inch. I think ud be surprised how much more would would enjoy your car with a properly sticking tire and your only real mission that night is to go as fast as u can straight!

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Appreciate the feedback. DOT concern is for cops possibly busting my balls. Never would run them in the rain. MT says the Radial Pro should not be ran on the street. The ET Street R would give me the 2/3rd gear traction I’m seeking, no?

Not dead set on keeping the stock fronts. That’s more for convenience- swapping 2 wheels instead of 4 when it’s dry out. I would only go one size down at most. I’ll more than likely get a full matching set.

I’ll search some more and post what I find. Thanks again!

That pic is a Possible rear setup:

Black Bullitt DD 18x10
Off Set +42mm
Backspacing: 7.15
Weight: 27lbs
Lug Pattern: 5x114.3

Attachments

• 24E4691E-CE10-4829-83E6-888607874614.jpeg
    24E4691E-CE10-4829-83E6-888607874614.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 307

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea those are pretty good choice. I would really consider just getting a dedicated set of front and rear.

the whole DOT thing aint gonna mean anything anyway cause after a few burn-outs with em them little groves that made them "Street Legal" will be gone so at that point they would technically be "Illegal" from a Cops stand point anything shorter the 2/32 inches would be illegal pretty much anywhere.

ANY Drag Radial is not gonna meet that standard after a week of use so again pick the tire thats gonna hook up best. there is a NIGHT and DAY difference between the Radial Pro and the ET Street R. sure, the Radial Pro won't last as long but so what ur only using them sparingly.

the whole Cops checking tires thing is pretty much non-existent. been in LE for 22 years and have never once checked tire depth unless I was investigating a Fatal Accident but thats a complete inspection including brakes etc....

I have never once seen someone from our Traffic Division issue someone a ticket for a tire that wasn't "Street Legal". maybe its happened but I've never seen it or heard of it. much bigger fish to fry!

to be honest most have no clue what is legal and not legal and they really don't give a shit to be honest. Forums will often say how Cops break balls for this but honestly its just not true.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Ok. I’ll go with the Radial Pros and a dedicated set of wheels. Hopefully I can find a drag set up with a wide front that can handle an occasional pothole. I appreciate your knowledge.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Good move. trust me the first time them tires hook after properly warmed up and on a relatively warm surface u will see what I mean. ur car will feel a LOT faster and will just be more fun period!

ur cars badass bro. a Boss 302 with a Whipple and everything else u got thats no joke and definitely a car that will benefit from a 15 inch with a Radial Pro. u won't want to to put the stock wheels back on cause ull feel naked and unprepared after seeing how well u hooked up.

I didn't buy a Mustang to carve corners I bought it to go fast straight. pull up any one of the 1320 Video's on Youtube and see all the 1000+ hp cars and what their running. ALL of them have some sorta 15x10 275/60 and this is Bakery or Roll Racing so its not just for the drag strip. their plenty stable at high speeds contrary to what some jerk-offs who have never owned a pair say.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Appreciate the compliment and the great feedback. Thinking about buying six wheels actually. Two NT555r for daily, 2 Radial pros so I’m always ready.

SVE black drag wheels are a good deal if they’re up to daily duties. Use the stock lugs as well.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
thats pretty much exactly what I had done. I had an extra set as well and yea them 555r will last a long time. they won't hook as good as the 05r but their a great DD. post up some pics when ur done would love to see the 15x10's on ur car

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
GNBRETT, these are available locally BNIB. Will they work on my Boss with sway bar relo bracket?
92-510154G
92-745142G

Attachments

• 09F094F9-8C01-47F3-9408-E6A67EA23D5B.jpeg
    09F094F9-8C01-47F3-9408-E6A67EA23D5B.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 306

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I thought these were normal dark stars. Turns out they are a lighter gray finish which won’t go well with my red boss IMO.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Update...about a day after talking with GNBRETT a guy posted Boss wheels for sale. I bought the rears then reluctantly ordered the MT ET SS. As a few others experienced, one was way out of balance, 7.5 ounces. Summit sent another and refunded the mounting charge as well.

Didn’t try them until this weekend. Aired at 18lbs. 74 degrees, no burnout. 2nd gear hit at 3k, stuck like glue. Finally, traction in 2nd with the Whipple.

Tried rolling into 1st next. Hit it at 2k and to my surprise, it hooked. Hot damn! After 30 minutes tried 1st again. Wasn’t good. She spun and I stayed in it (hoping it would recover) shifting into 2nd, and the car goes into limp mode. Pulled over. Shut it off. Restart. All good.

What happened? I only turned off traction control by pushing the button once instead of holding the bottom and brake pedal for 6 seconds. Why did it spin 1st? Pressure rose to 21lbs from extended driving. Lessons learned.

Super happy with these DR’s at my current power level, and 3.31’s which help. Not sure how they will handle a custom tune and e85 even with another gear swap (3.15). Looking at a dedicated drag set up for that combo.

07FD436A-CEB7-4390-8835-BD2D4E0265CA.jpeg

1F2790BB-0104-42EC-ADBA-4DCBA32A50AC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread