Looking to get into 07-14 GT500 with under 10k -- Easy ways to tell if returned to stock and year?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I've finally gotten myself back into cars after a break and some health issues. I had an 03 Cobra and several 5.0's. In fact, I recently sold a 5.0 that I struggled to drive (clutch mostly) and targeting GT500 specifically a 12 SVTPP. (S197's having hydraulic clutches).

I've been searching and not finding any easy ways to tell if a car has had a pulley and put back to stock. Not that I'm opposed to a modified car, but there's not too many under 10k cars on here for sale that are stock. I can tell the obvious signs like added body parts, etc. but not sure how obvious if a pulley was swapped on. On the 03-04 cobras it wasn't too obvious if the plug was put back on and done cleanly.

Reasons for wanting a 12 for what I want is:
  • Newer front/rear covers and related updates from earlier years
  • SVTPP
  • Recaro's (Preferably)
  • Alum. block (I like the idea of the 10's for iron block but seems like the alum. is holding up ok) Hopefully this is the case?
  • Reduced price over 13-14 by around 10k as I know I will want to modify. The added features of the 13-14 aren't enough with the price difference to make me want one.
I'm also somewhat picky on the colors I'd want so it makes it pretty difficult. I'd prefer a stripe delete but I know how rare they are so will likely remove them myself. I'm leaning toward RR, but would be great to have IS, and KB in that order. I know navigation isn't that necessary but I do prefer that and the forementioned Recaros. SVTPP is mandatory and I do all my own work short of body issues.

So, with all this said, I'm looking at (ugh) dealers and inventory since they have some that are low mileage.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Are you planning on driving the car a lot or is it like a show car/garage queen?

10k miles on these cars is nothing... hell 30k miles is nothing, so if you're planning to drive it I wouldn't limit yourself to the under 10k miles.

You can have a dealer pull up the codes on the computer of the car to tell if there was a tune installed, but I've never done that myself.

As far as telling if things used to be modded and were turned back to stock, it's kind of a tough call too.

For me, I look for the overall condition of the car. It's pretty easy to tell if someone has taken care of it just by looking at the engine bay, seats, and undercarriage.

Good luck in your search, these are awesome cars.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Are you planning on driving the car a lot or is it like a show car/garage queen?

10k miles on these cars is nothing... hell 30k miles is nothing, so if you're planning to drive it I wouldn't limit yourself to the under 10k miles.

You can have a dealer pull up the codes on the computer of the car to tell if there was a tune installed, but I've never done that myself.

As far as telling if things used to be modded and were turned back to stock, it's kind of a tough call too.

For me, I look for the overall condition of the car. It's pretty easy to tell if someone has taken care of it just by looking at the engine bay, seats, and undercarriage.

Good luck in your search, these are awesome cars.

I don't typically drive my mustangs a lot so good question on the mileage. Figured I'd like to keep it low.

Thanks, good ideas and points to note. I've wanted one since 07 and back then a new one was commanding ADM so settled for a 03. Great cars too, but these are a different car!

Hard to tell on the "What did you pay..." thread, but curious how many bought their used cars from a dealer.

TigerGT500

Established Member
I bought mine from a dealer a couple months ago. 2011 SVTPP with 7400 miles and some simple/tasteful upgrades. The experience was simple. Take it out for a test drive, here's the price, sold.

moncho

Established Member
Maybe someone can chime in on being able to tell if the car had prior mods. Other then the obvious tell tail physical signs or maybe having the dealing check the PCM and see if it has any evidence of changing the stock tune. For a peace of mind I'd seriously consider taking it to an indy mechanic and having it compression tested and maybe even a leak down test. Possibly cut a deal with the dealer on paying for some of this, even if you don't buy as they can keep the info for the next person. Obviously check car fax as well. Also, check if it's been registered @ Shelby as sometimes folks list their mods. Make sure it hasn't been registered in states that have suffered water damage. Have them put it on a lift and walk from front to back looking for leaks and so on. Anyway best of luck in your journey to finding a nice GT500 cause they are out there.

Good Luck!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer to buy off this website. I have purchased all my "specialty cars" from someone on this website. I can research old thread that a previous owner may have posted on here, and stuff like that.

Would not buy from a dealer for several reasons, thats just me. But, many people do and thats fine

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ford dealer is a great place to have a prebuy inspection performed if you find one local. Ask to have an SVT technician perform it and ask them to let you see the car in the air. A Dealer SVT tech should know if its been returned to stock or not. Id recommend a dealer prebuy inspection regardless.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer to buy off this website. I have purchased all my "specialty cars" from someone on this website. I can research the "old threads" that an owner may have posted on here, and stuff like that.

Would not buy from a dealer for several reasons, thats just me. But, many people do and thats fine
Great idea buying from owners here. Owner's threads provide most of vehicles history for both mods and issues.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice. I've been looking to buy from here as I've had good luck in the past, but not finding one with the colors/options I want. Makes it really hard unless you luck out.

I have two lifts at my disposal, so that would be a good idea. Biggest concern isn't so much of having a car that had a tune and back to stock, but the quality of the tune and why someone got rid of the car. I haven't heard about a glutton of motor issues with these, but still don't want to spend 30-40k and have a motor issue.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Looking at bolt heads is a quick way to tell if something has been changed/modded, same with nuts.

If a car is being sold as "never been modded", there would be no reason for blower bolts to have signs of socket/wench marks on the heads (unless Ford did something under warranty, and there is documentation at Ford for that), same with suspension, most of the suspension bolts have a coating on them for protect from rusting, that coating can seldom be duplicated. There would be no reason for wrench/socket marks on those suspension bolt heads or nuts if the car is a "virgin".

Always look at the bolt heads on the commonly modded items on these cars, if there were "bolt-on" items previously installed and then there was a "back to stock sale", the bolt heads will show that the bolts/nuts have been loosened/tightened.

R

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Great advice. I'm finding a lot of stock cars with a K&N on which isn't concerning. Not necessarily a worry, but great call on check bolt heads of parts!

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
My 09 has 14k miles and just about every mod you can imagine short of having a "built" engine, tranny, or rear. Recaro seats with electronics and even functional lumbar support. Track Pack dual setting adjustable suspension along with FRPP coils, H&R sways, Maximum Motorsport K Member, etc... etc.... 2.9L Whipple with stock pulleys, Comp Cams, 72# injectors, 20v BAP, FRPP CAI Intake, Afco Dual HE, shorty headers, Hpipe, KR axlebacks, KR rear w/ 3.73s, MGW gen 2 shifter, 13-14 split spoke 19 & 20" wheels with rears widened to 12" running 335x30x20's, Full Tilt Boogie big brakes, Carbon Fiber driveshaft, Lund Ngauge with A/FR, boost, fuel pressure and datalogging upgrades - tuned by Jon Lund Sr. Kenwood double din stereo with HD radio, bluetooth, etc. Car has never been tracked, never abused. I've had 3 back surgeries and have a 50% permanent partial disability as a result and find the clutch ok. Only considering selling because I am considering getting the next 17-18 GT500 whenever it comes out. Asking $35k or best reasonable offer. Located an hour south of Baltimore, Maryland.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ thats a steal.

OP... IMO you have to be mentally prepared for ANYTHING when buying used. I bought a a 1 owner 2007 GT500 that was pretty virgin. Hell.. the guy had the shift light set to 4k rpm. Had me feeling pretty warm and fuzzy.

That said, i had done my research and was fully prepared mentally for a $4k short block should it shit the bed on the way home.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Searching this board before I bought a 2013 GT500 vert caused me not to buy it. Previous owner had traded it in and he was very honest with me about it.

moncho

Established Member
My 09 has 14k miles and just about every mod you can imagine short of having a "built" engine, tranny, or rear. Recaro seats with electronics and even functional lumbar support. Track Pack dual setting adjustable suspension along with FRPP coils, H&R sways, Maximum Motorsport K Member, etc... etc.... 2.9L Whipple with stock pulleys, Comp Cams, 72# injectors, 20v BAP, FRPP CAI Intake, Afco Dual HE, shorty headers, Hpipe, KR axlebacks, KR rear w/ 3.73s, MGW gen 2 shifter, 13-14 split spoke 19 & 20" wheels with rears widened to 12" running 335x30x20's, Carbon Fiber driveshaft, Lund Ngauge with A/FR, boost, fuel pressure and datalogging upgrades - tuned by Jon Lund Sr. Kenwood double din stereo with HD radio, bluetooth, etc. Car has never been tracked, never abused. I've had 3 back surgeries and have a 50% permanent partial disability as a result and find the clutch ok. Only considering selling because I am considering getting the next 17-18 GT500 whenever it comes out. Asking $35k or best reasonable offer. Located an hour south of Baltimore, Maryland.

This would be the one to buy, has everything & I think I know who the original owner is. Very thorough and meticulous on all mods that were done. I would have bought this car if it wasn't for the fact I already had one.

Cheers,
Ray

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
This would be the one to buy, has everything & I think I know who the original owner is. Very thorough and meticulous on all mods that were done. I would have bought this car if it wasn't for the fact I already had one.

Cheers,
Ray

Ray, thank you. The original owner is probably who you think they are... lol and, yes, ridunkulously meticulous. I have enjoyed the car in the time that I have had it. Have gone on mostly 300+ mile cruises to spend time with other car peeps at various get togethers. Any of the work that has been done since I have had it has also been done with nothing but the best parts and by myself, or others, who know these cars inside and out. I may officially list it for sale on the board this weekend. If it doesn't sell... I may be dropping a bonkers drivetrain in her over this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread