Looks like the Venom GT F-5 has some competition

ANGREY

Established Member
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...ng-mile/ar-AAu66gD?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

While Bugatti is busy developing tire and aero updates for the Chiron in hopes for going beyond the hypercar's 261 mph top speed limit, a 2006 Ford GT just clocked 292.9 mph. Johnny Bohmer just completed the high-speed run in his street-legal BADDGT, eclipsing his previous record of 283.232 mph.

This is the same car that Bohmer hit the 250 mph mark, then the 275 mph, and eventually claiming the Guinness World Record for Fastest Standing Mile at 283.232 mph. The speed run took place at the Kennedy Space Center down in Florida, where Bohmer set the previous Guinness World Record. As the driver of a Genovation Cars GXE, he also claimed the record back in February for Fastest Standing Mile for an electric car, at 190.480 mph.

Unfortunately, the old record still stands, as Guinness record officials weren't on-hand for this attempt. Still, this is an incredible feat, considering the BADDGT is registered for street use in Florida, and retains a fully-functioning air-conditioning system and "high-end" audio system, both requirements for street-legal designation from Guinness.

292.9 mph is mighty fast, but Bohmer has 300 mph set as his next speed goal. According to Bohmer, this should happen sometime later this year during straight-line aerodynamic testing.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
How does a severely modified Ford GT relate to a production car's top speed? This is like saying that the Dodge Demon is shit because "The Crow" would drag it's ass on the street.

ANGREY

Established Member
still impressive but definitely not apples to apples
Agreed, it's interesting that it's street legal. That's my only point. I realize it's not a "production" version. Haven't seen virtually any competition for this record, even from "modded" supercars.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Id have to imagine thats a pretty big stretch on "street legal", getting something registered in Florida isnt exactly an accomplishment with no inspections

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Very very impressive. I would challenge the claim that it's street legal though. Being able to physically drive it on the street doesn't necessarily make it street legal. Huge difference there. State inspections or not, they are components and systems on cars that you cannot modify in any way.

ANGREY

Established Member
The only inspection FL has is when you first get the car registered for tax/tag, a deputy at the tax collector's office is SUPPOSED to go out and verify the VIN on the vehicle. Outside of that, there is no "inspection" to pass.

Having said that, there are laws that would make it "illegal" and I'm sure there's a dozen that we all know about and even more that most of us don't know about. FL as great as it is, isn't immune to big government bullshit.

Just taking the cats off the car make it "illegal" or if it's too loud or technically, if the wheels stick out from the wheel well more than a certain dimension it's illegal (for rock chucking).

I guess what I'm saying is a good portion of the mildly to wildly modified cars we all drive are technically "illegal" for street use. I'd venture that once you flash the OEM computer or mess with it in any way, somehow there's a law on the books that gives big brother an avenue to claim you've broken the law and/or driving an illegal or "improper" vehicle.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
And I think that's why there should be a huge distinction between what an OEM has to do and what a tuner has to do. Not taking anything away, because these are amazing accomplishments either way. It's just a whole other ballgame for a manufacturer to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread