Lower Radiator Hose Coolant Leak

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I just pulled into work with a trail of coolant dripping. I see a coolant leak at the bottom radiator hose clamp.

Question: The Reservoir tank is a bit low, I don't have the tools to add coolant into the crossover plug, will it be OK to fill the reservoir tank up to the top and drive home 45 min hoping it won't overheat.

Or would this overheat the engine immediately?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
imo you really shouldn't risk it. if there was a leak at the bottom, that means that the coolant level is low on both "sides" of the crossover tube plug, so adding only at the reservoir will not help it. try to get that plug loose.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Ok, I will allocate a 1/4 adapter from Building Maintenance and add from the crossover plug. And of course, bleed the system. Hold up, If I bleed the system, it will leak, shall I just fill at the plug when car is cold and then take off?

Sorry for the noobie question.

Last edited:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
imo you really shouldn't risk it. if there was a leak at the bottom, that means that the coolant level is low on both "sides" of the crossover tube plug, so adding only at the reservoir will not help it. try to get that plug loose.

Thanks for your help. I made quick run to AZ, got a clamp, installed it, now I'll burp the system.

Users who are viewing this thread