Macbook people in here please

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my daughter's 16th birthday is quickly approaching and i was thinking of getting her a new laptop. she currently has a macbook that is probably 5 years or older. she prefers mac over pc. she's had both. she would go bananas over a new mac laptop. that i know for a fact. pc isnt even an option.

im a pc guy, i dont know macs much. but i know they make super high quality stuff as i have a few apple products that perform flawlessly (phones/airport/her macbook).

*she uses it for school using MS Office and Photoshop as well.
*she also does some light video editing. this will easily last her through high school. likely will still be rocking into college as these tend to last.
*she never connects it to a tv or uses cd/dvd. so the lack of optical drive or hdmi is not a big deal. she does like to watch her tv shows on it.
*for now, it never leaves the house. so portability isnt that big of a deal. 13" screen is better than 12" screen imo.

im trying to decide between the mac air, macbook and macbook pro. the budget is about $1k for the machine itself. ill probably be adding extra warranty and then there's sales tax on top of that.

the mac air. i see that $800 gets you 128 GB flash storage and the $1k version gets you 256GB. is the extra 128GB necessary for her uses? using Photoshop and light video editing? or is 128GB sufficient? is 256GB more "future proof"?

i see you can get a macbook for $1k and a macbook pro for $1100. i see the $1100 pro has retina display but only 128GB (sufficient)?

these seem quite similar, hence the confusion and ask for help lol

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
How much storage does her Photoshop and video editing currently take up?

Does she have external hard drives she backs up her stuff to, or does she store everything local on the computer?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
How much storage does her Photoshop and video editing currently take up?

Does she have external hard drives she backs up her stuff to, or does she store everything local on the computer?

hmmm... i dont know. and i cant really ask her as i dont want to hint at her getting this lol. she does do a lot online and i know she uses google docs so i assume she uses google drive. when she does video editing its for short 5 minute videos for school or just for fun.

cwlanders

Established Member
Here is what I did. I purchased the 2013 version of the macbook pro in July of 2014. It was $899 from apple (includes $100 off for college students). It has 500GB of storage which is much more than they offer now. I then partitioned the hard drive so that 300GB of the storage ran IOS and the remaining 200GB runs Windows 10. When I was getting my MBA I specialized in data analytics, which required programs that only ran on Windows (SAS was the big one). This ended up working best for me since I could have the macbook I wanted but not having difficulties with assignments that required Windows. It is pretty much the best of both worlds.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Just food for thought, I bought a refurb from apple that was like a year old and saved myself a few hundred.

I thought the 128g was going to be fine, but we bought my GF a nice camera and she installed PS on the Mac (I had already installed Windows 10). After putting a few thousand high resolution photos on it, the storage went fast.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
is the extended warranty a waste of $$ for this? they seem to keep running fine for well past the warranty period

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
just grabbed her current macbook. its a 6.1 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz
4GB memory
looking at her hdd it says approx 256GB
says its from 2009

specs look almost as good as a new one lol. looking on ebay theyre going for about $150.

is it possible for her to use the old one as a hard drive and transfer files back and forth?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
They do make solid state hard drives that you can replace inside the computer.

I was originally going to do that, and considered it again, but I have Windows 10 on that computer now and don't want to go through the work.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i was wondering if she has both laptops open and running can she wirelessly transfer files between the two. or even if she connects them with a cord. basically using the hard drive thats already on the old laptop

i see she can get 5gb a month for free on icloud. 50gb for $1 a month. 200gb for $3 a month.

05Sonicblue

Established Member
Buy a apple refurb MacBook Pro with good processor upgrade the hard drive and memory on your own, you can find the latest greatest hard drives and memory at pricewatch.com

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Buy a apple refurb MacBook Pro with good processor upgrade the hard drive and memory on your own, you can find the latest greatest hard drives and memory at pricewatch.com

Don't they come with the memory soldered to the board now?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
thanks for the tips. ill keep an eye on the apple refurb site. right now they only have 15" macbook pro. we bought here ipad there and its been working flawlessly for a few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread