Macbook people in here please

mdever12

Established Member
I've had my 15" mac book pro with retina display for almost 4 years now. Some people say the retina display isn't worth it. However, when I look at other laptops now I can't tell you how happy I am with the retina. Also, when I bought this I was told that if something goes wrong with the hardrive, they would have to replace the whole laptop (only pertains to retina displays). I don't know how true this is, but it may be good to do some research about that.

Having said that, I haven't had a single problem with it and I have had some liquids spill on the keyboard (college). For all apple products, I think AppleCare is worth it.

Edit: Look into their trade-in program, I've saved a good amount of cash on a few phones by making use of it.

bglf83

Established Member
I've had my 15" mac book pro with retina display for almost 4 years now. Some people say the retina display isn't worth it. However, when I look at other laptops now I can't tell you how happy I am with the retina. Also, when I bought this I was told that if something goes wrong with the hardrive, they would have to replace the whole laptop (only pertains to retina displays). I don't know how true this is, but it may be good to do some research about that.

Having said that, I haven't had a single problem with it and I have had some liquids spill on the keyboard (college). For all apple products, I think AppleCare is worth it.

Edit: Look into their trade-in program, I've saved a good amount of cash on a few phones by making use of it.
Hard drive is changeable on the retinas and airs. Not sure about the ones with the emoji bar.

OWC sells the ones with the proprietary apple connector.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hard drive is changeable on the retinas and airs. Not sure about the ones with the emoji bar.

OWC sells the ones with the proprietary apple connector.

Uhhhhh not all of them. I have a MacBook Pro Retina edition and you can't upgrade anything because it is solid state. EVERYTHING is soldered to the motherboard. the only thing I don't like about it is that when I bought it it was only available with 1GB of video ram. I play World of Warcraft on it without any issues. and it does everything else I need it to do. 5 years now and no issues at all. so just becareful if you want to upgrade

bglf83

Established Member
Uhhhhh not all of them. I have a MacBook Pro Retina edition and you can't upgrade anything because it is solid state. EVERYTHING is soldered to the motherboard. the only thing I don't like about it is that when I bought it it was only available with 1GB of video ram. I play World of Warcraft on it without any issues. and it does everything else I need it to do. 5 years now and no issues at all. so just becareful if you want to upgrade
Hard drive is changeable in the non touch bar retinas.

marco3d

Established Member
I'm a 3D professional and use to do IT in the past as well as I built pc's. my honest opinion if she's into video editing, or anything graphic intensive go mac book with at least 256 sad and if you can afford it go MacBook Pro with a dedicated video card. I'm not bias as I have both windows and pc machines and use both at a high graphic professional level. If you want something that lasts in the mobility realm go with mac when it comes to hardware.

Found this one on eBay which I think is great and is fairly new. http://r.ebay.com/NURZLf

If you have any other questions pm or email me, anything to help out a fellow svt performance member.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Macbook pro will be better in long run. Air cool cause its light and easy to carry but pro is where its at. got mine used for $500 on CL, glad i did. newer usually has refurbed pros as well.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i was wondering if she has both laptops open and running can she wirelessly transfer files between the two. or even if she connects them with a cord. basically using the hard drive thats already on the old laptop

i see she can get 5gb a month for free on icloud. 50gb for $1 a month. 200gb for $3 a month.

should be able to airdrop files to share to both MacBooks unless you mean like every file she's ever had on it lol.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
should be able to airdrop files to share to both MacBooks unless you mean like every file she's ever had on it lol.

cool. im sure she can figure that out then. she knows how to torrent and do all sorts of stuff i cant lol.

also her "video editing" is done with imovie i think. she doesnt do anything crazy. just stuff your average teenage high schooler does.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
cool. im sure she can figure that out then. she knows how to torrent and do all sorts of stuff i cant lol.

also her "video editing" is done with imovie i think. she doesnt do anything crazy. just stuff your average teenage high schooler does.

turn on bluetooth on both devices, let them find each other, select file/pic/etc, share. i didn't know that was an option for a while lol.

Machdup1

Established Member
Here is my .02:

Ask her what she wants. Give her a rough budget and make her do the leg work. Make her work within the budget to do the give and take. Hold her to the budget. She knows her needs, she knows what she wants. It will be a good exercise in decision making.

BTW, if you pick the wrong one, she will hate you every time she uses it. If she makes the wrong choice, then you can be the concerned father.

jrandy

Established Member
turn on bluetooth on both devices, let them find each other, select file/pic/etc, share. i didn't know that was an option for a while lol.
Better check the current OS on the old laptop as AirDrop isn't supported by most of the old OS versions.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Here is my .02:

Ask her what she wants. Give her a rough budget and make her do the leg work. Make her work within the budget to do the give and take. Hold her to the budget. She knows her needs, she knows what she wants. It will be a good exercise in decision making.

BTW, if you pick the wrong one, she will hate you every time she uses it. If she makes the wrong choice, then you can be the concerned father.

actually that was kind of our new plan. we'd give her a "voucher" for X amount of dollars. grandma and grandfather will each give her some cash. then she can use the amount to buy the one she wants.

im leaning towards macbook pro and im sure she'll agree especially with the retina display. its dumb that the regular macbook only has one port and you have to buy an adapter for another $80. the Pro has multiple ports.

Better check the current OS on the old laptop as AirDrop isn't supported by most of the old OS versions.

i know she did a major update recently. ill have to check but i believe it has the current OS

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
oh i didnt know that, i have yosemite on mine. i don't like updating if i don't absolutely have to.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
is the extended warranty a waste of $$ for this? they seem to keep running fine for well past the warranty period
Steve, I've had three 13" MacBook Pro Retinas over the past 6 years. Got the extended warranty on all three. Only once needed to use the warranty for a hardware issue (screen issue). My main reason getting it was to have North American support for any questions that might come up (hardware and software). Early on I placed a lot of calls. LOL. Now, though, I'm so familiar with the Mac that I probably wouldn't get an extended warranty. These MacBook Pros are SOLID! I much prefer them over Windows machines. Including the Windows desktop that I built.

I'm going to make one recommendation. If you can afford it, get a Retina display version, especially if it is used a lot. The crispness of the text is night and day better. It's like reading text in a book. The higher quality text is easier on your eyes. I wouldn't personally buy any laptop, especially 13", without a Retina display. If you're unsure, go somewhere where you can compare them side by side. You'll quickly see what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread