Mach 460

BMCGC

Established Member
My 97 has a crappy Sony HU wired through the Mach amps.

I say Crappy because the buttons are small and its not user friendly.

The sound is pretty good.

Since the HU is wired through the amps Im guessing the Mach system is still in good shape.

I want to replace the single din with a double din. I have a 01+ console, bezel and all the odds and ends for the swap.

Im debating on which HU. I could get a Mach 460 double din, thats easy and looks oem. An aftermarket HU would be nice, especially since we went hands free on Jul 1st here.

Has anyone run across a double din HU with the correct matte finish?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just because your Mach speakers are functional with the Sony radio does not mean the Mach amps are powering the speakers. It could be the Sony internal amp.
Wiring a Double DIN Mach radio into your car is not the easy way either.

98Vobra

Established Member
This is super easy if you have ever done any stereo stuff before. Just pull the sony out and see how its installed. If it has preouts hooked up it most likely is using the stock amps, if new speaker wire is hooked up, then its using the sony amps. You can swap the head unit with what wiring is already there most likely if they hooked it up with pre out harness. The hardest part is building a brace to bolt the new double din kit to the car and making everything square and level.

BMCGC

Established Member
The speakers are being powered through the factory amps. The two connectors on the right side of the stereo cavity are still connected to the factory system. Those two connectors are the ones that would be used to bypass the factory amps.

I ran new speaker wire to the rear when I swapped out the console, so it is there if I need it.

Im waffling on the double din, do I really want to hack up the dash in a Cobra?

I do need bluetooth for the phone.

We moved into our new house in Feb. Its now mid Jul and I have done nothing on the Cobra. I hope to have all the new house projects done by the end of the month and some free time to work on the car. We sold the old house last month, now that Im only taking care of one house things are moving much quicker.

Ive been wanting to post some pics with the new wheels, no rear spoiler and lowered. The problem is only the rear is lowered and the shaved truck lid is in the middle of the living room floor.

850SNCobra

Established Member
In my case, I decided a double din wouldn't be the best for me. I did however put in a decent little JVC marine deck that has some really good features including bluetooth, I have no issues seeing in the direct sunlight. If I had a coupe though, I might have tried a double din.

1. In a vert with the top down, visibility would suck in the sunlight
2. I don't want anything too enticing to thieves ha.

BMCGC

Established Member
Which JVC did you get?

Im not worried about theft, the car is garaged and I rarely let it out of sight when out and about.

I ever catch someone breaking into my stuff, they will have the opportunity to meet whatever God they pray to.

850SNCobra

Established Member
I went with the JVC KD-R97MBS.
I think they have a newer model out now. In the future my next place will have to have a double garage so I can keep my cobra and motorcycles safe lol.

Users who are viewing this thread