Mass air conversion for '86-'88 SD cars

N A

Established Member
I'm going to order a mass air conversion kit for my car. My car only has headers and an x-pipe now, but an intake, heads and cam are in it's near future. Any tips or recommendations for this conversion? I was going to order the 55 mm meter kit, but I should probably start off with a 73 mm meter. Are there any better computers for AOD cars?

big dad

Established Member
When I did mine I used an 89 donor car with a auto, mine is a 5 speed car but the processer was an A9P so that would be my recommendation. Btw, even though it has a auto processor it runs fine but you have too swap some pins in the harness too different locations for the PCM if you're still running the TAB/TAD solenoids for the thermactor system which was the case for me.

Forgot to mention mine is an 86GT.

N A

Established Member
Thanks! I'm doing more research before I spend my money. I talked to someone at VMP yesterday and they don't have any tunes for the older cars, OBD I. There's got to be a way to run an OBD II computer and mass air system on the '86-'95 cars.

big dad

Established Member
Thanks! I'm doing more research before I spend my money. I talked to someone at VMP yesterday and they don't have any tunes for the older cars, OBD I. There's got to be a way to run an OBD II computer and mass air system on the '86-'95 cars.

OBD1 requires a 60 pin PCM, OBD2 is 104 pin PCM, you would need to change the harness which really isn't very practical or necessary unless you're going too a coyote engine.

You can still find sources that will provide a chip too install if you provide them the necessary info. When I did mine I got a chip from Motorvation through Summit.

If you plan too make some upgrades like HCI also go with larger injectors, I would recommend 30lbs. and a 75mm MAF calibrated for said injectors. Make that 5.0L breath from the intake thru the exhaust, that includes the EGR spacer body which I would retain also and a 75mm throttle body. I would also suggest a TrickFlow 170 HCI kit. And don't forget a hi-flow fuel pump, 190lph should be sufficient.

I did all of this to my 86 and the results were stunning, especially the throttle response and how quickly it revved to redline.

N A

Established Member
I'm leaning towards a coyote swap. 302 sbf stuff is drying up little by little. If a shop like VMP no longer supports the older stuff, it's time to move on. I'm going to wait for right now. I don't want to drop $600+ on a kit when that money could go towards a coyote control pack.

Users who are viewing this thread