Maximum Motorsports - Sport box handling package

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
Hey All

just curious if any of you have purchased/installed this package offered by MM?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/2003-04-Cobra-hardtop-Sport-Box-P1278.aspx

i've been shopping around for putting pretty much all this stuff..and didn't know that MM sold it in a package like this.

i was considering the Bilstein Sport shocks/Struts...but maybe the HD ones will be fine. anyways..

any thoughts or feedback on this package? seems like a fairly good deal.
and i think it would be a significant improvement over my current setup (88k miles - stock springs cut and everything else stock)
also...what things should i consider adding? im running around ~480-500rwhp.
i don't track it (ever) or drag it often..but id like to enjoy the back roads with a little more confidence.

thanks for the help!

speedoflife

Established Member
Standard length subframe connectors <<< XL subframe connectors

H&R Sport springs are a notable amount lower than the Race springs (may make a street driven car low enough that it would be a pain to deal with)

K-member brace isn't worth it IMO if you're mostly using the car for street. The factory K member is quite strong and has a basic brace from the factory.

The strut tower brace from MM is great and I totally recommend it. However, if your car is just a street car and your running the factory K member without coilovers, you should seriously consider how much use you'll get out of that extra stiffness in the front.

The rest of the stuff is definitely good, but absolutely not necessary. The package is a better deal than buying everything individually, certainly, but if you plan on keeping the car for a while, I'd think long and hard before going this route. Have you done anything for the IRS? Bushings/FTBR kit/etc?

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
@speedoflife dude this is really solid advice...thanks!
your feedback has me guessing if this package deal is right for what im trying to get.

I'm really just trying to stiffen up the ride and have less body roll into the corners and more stability at higher speeds. The car feels like it wants to wonder really easily in corners and when im doing 75+

So i figured at a minimum i needed to replace factory springs and shocks/struts.

i know i need to do something with the steering to tighten it back up - get a better feel for the road.
and help minimize the "dodginess" when in a corner and you feel a bump in the road and the car acts like it wants to step out a little (not under acceleration)

How much would aftermarket front and rear sway bars help?

and no..i haven't done anything for the IRS yet...and i know i need to

Here is what i'm kinda thinking - pending some feedback
-H&R sport springs (yeah i know its low..i can toggle with the ISO if its too low)
-Bilstein HD or sport shocks/struts
-Steering rack bushing replacements
-MM camber/caster plates
-aftermarket front/rear swaybars

thoughts?

thanks for the help on this...haven't been able to find a good shop around here to bounce these ideas off of

speedoflife

Established Member
Glad I could help! Don't want you to waste your money on stuff you won't need/appreciate/use.
I'll write up some more when I get on my computer, but hear me out on this one:

Step one:
XL Full Length Subframe Connectors

Step two: see step one

Step three: springs, c/c plates, sway bars, geometry correction (ball joints, bump steer kit, offset steering rack bushings)

Step four: shocks/struts, tires, brakes, IRS improvements, further chassis reinforcement

This is my OPINION, and it assumes you're keeping the factory k-member, control arms, NOT going coilover, and keeping the IRS. I plan on not replacing my control arms (my car is a 95% street car) and keeping the k-member. That list could be adjusted, of course, but I made it based on my opinion and your apparent budget/goals.

speedoflife

Established Member
Also, sway bars will make a very big difference (after changing your springs). They help with the nose of the car wanting to "push" or "plow" through turns. This was my number one complaint when I autocrossed the car. I'll be looking into sway bars as my next suspension mod.

The choice between H&R race vs sport springs will be up to you in the end. I'd go with the race springs, but I like a stiff, responsive ride and don't want to sacrifice performance for ride quality/aesthetics. Personal choice there.

Black2010

Established Member
subframe connectors will help make the car feel more solid. not as noticeable in a coupe but it will help tie everything together better.

I would really think hard about the springs. With the race springs my car is already low to the point it can be tough to drive without scraping on things. It's harder to drive around town than my Viper is which is saying a lot. Love the look but I actually would prefer for it to be a bit higher.

For the shocks. I think the main advantage there is those are designed for lowered cars which will help.

It really depends on what you are after with the car. Me personally I would go:
- Full length subframe connectors
- H&R Race springs with Caster Camber plates, bump steer kit and rack bushings
- IRS upgrades
- shocks and struts (you can get by with the stock ones if they are good thus why I put them later in my line)

Black2010

Established Member
Here's a couple of pics showing the ride height with the race springs.

IMG_6989.jpg

IMG_6990.jpg

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
yeah i wish i knew how lowered my car is now
previous owner cut the factory springs

ideally id like the car to be the same height or a little lower than it is now.

I have a feeling that the stock ones are worn out - due to how to the car is handling right now. car has 89k miles on it
so i either want to replace them with the HD (B6) series...which i believe is the stock ones? or upgrade to the Bilstein Sport series (B8)

speedoflife

Established Member
yeah i wish i knew how lowered my car is now
previous owner cut the factory springs....
...car has 89k miles on it
so i either want to replace them with the HD (B6) series...which i believe is the stock ones? or upgrade to the Bilstein Sport series (B8)
I did not know that the car was already lowered. Another user recommended Race springs as I have, but you will be the one to make that choice in the end. I hate scraping the car and not being able to get in/out of basic parking lots/driveways. And I really like a stiff ride. But if you don't mind the decreased responsiveness/handling, you will get a lower center of gravity from lowering the car more (I.e. Sport springs) and a sweet, low look.

For subframe connectors, I'll quote someone who knows more about these cars than you and I combined together will ever know: "Anyone that thinks an SN-95 vehicle doesn't need or doesn't benefit from a FLSFC is a fool!"
sauce: https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/why-subframe-connectors-benefit-your-mustang.629163/

Subframe connectors should be mod #1, plain and simple. They are more for the car than for you, honestly, but you will feel a difference, for sure.

Most likely your dampers are worn, not the springs .
I would start there .
The dampers are definitely worn at close to 90k miles, and it can't hurt to replace them ESPECIALLY if you are getting stiffer springs. But they are not the biggest culprit in your Cobra's poor handling. As @Black2010 alluded to, you will gain advantages from upgrading struts/shocks because they are designed for stiffer/lowering springs, not because they are worn out. Not to say that yours perform like new, but relatively speaking (compared to subframe connectors, geometry correction, sway bars, etc.) you will get more bang-for-your-buck from other mods. Notice how each person that has given you a thoughtful post has recommended subframe connectors above almost all else, and they have put shocks/struts at the lower portion of the list.

Black2010 and myself gave you almost identical lists..... great minds think alike eh?

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
Absolutely agree!
I'm going to be doing these mods all at once, so subframe connectors have made the list!

you guys are awesome and thanks for your input on this.
helps a lot!

94slowbra1

Established Member
subframes should be the first suspension mod on this chassis, especially on a vert.
next some good shocks, struts and springs (bilstein hd will be a nice upgrade over your factory vert ones and personally id do the h&r race)
get some cc plates and new ball joints for the front
address the irs bushings. i did solid in the arms and poly in the diff and subframe
verts are flimsy, as much chassis stiffening you can do the better

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
what type of IRS mods do you guys recommend?

the MM IRS grip packages? i think there is a basic one? for like $500

is there other options that are effective but a little less $$?

Users who are viewing this thread