MGW T56 short throw: shift stop screws?

Live Wire

Established Member
I'm installing the MGW short throw and got it all in, but noticed they shipped shift stop screws... I was under the impression that their shifters for the T56 trans didn't need stop screws. And honestly, I can't remember if there were holes on the base of the shifter for them; I didn't even think to look. I only noticed the screws when I was rooting through the rest of the hardware looking for the allen wrench to month the handle. I haven't installed the leather boot yet so it wouldnt be too much to take out the dust boot out again if you're supposed to install the stops.

They're closed today or else I'd give them a call. Thanks for any input.

K

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Your fine without, those are to keep you from pushing it farther then the actual guide below. I used them on the tri ax and reverse went so far forward they were basically not being used for other gears

Live Wire

Established Member
No instructions really. They have a video on their website showing a mustang installation, but they specifically state that the T56 doesnt need the stop screws. I ordered the shifter for our tranny but they shipped the stop screws anyhow. Struggling to remember if there were even screw holes in the base to even install.

But yea, gonna give them a call on Monday. was hoping to test it out this weekend, but playin it safe.

Live Wire

Established Member
Yep, George replied and said they're only included because people complained when they weren't :)

For those that used the included gasket, how much squeezed out after hand tightening? I've got about 1/8 - 1/4". Seemed excessive, but nothing to compare to.

mgwgasket.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No instructions really. They have a video on their website showing a mustang installation, but they specifically state that the T56 doesnt need the stop screws. I ordered the shifter for our tranny but they shipped the stop screws anyhow. Struggling to remember if there were even screw holes in the base to even install.

But yea, gonna give them a call on Monday. was hoping to test it out this weekend, but playin it safe.
I was just surprised no instructions were included, or at least a mention of why the set screws were included. Their inclusion obviously raised a question in your own mind.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
....For those that used the included gasket, how much squeezed out after hand tightening? I've got about 1/8 - 1/4". Seemed excessive, but nothing to compare to.
View attachment 1437584
If you torqued the 4 bolts to factory specs, you'll get some stretching of the gasket. It's gonna happen. Based on your photo, you're fine. I include blue threadlocker with my gasket kits so that you don't have to torque the bolts to factory specs while ensuring they don't loosen over time.

Enjoy that rock solid shifter!

Live Wire

Established Member
If you torqued the 4 bolts to factory specs, you'll get some stretching of the gasket...

Yea that was another thing. The video was all I had to go by so they specifically stated to "wrist tighten" the bolts and let the lock washers do their job. They include a new set of mounting bolts, washers, and lock washers since their base is thicker than OEM.

Live Wire

Established Member
OK looks like I didn't pay close enough attention to the piece of paper included with the gasket. It clearly states it's recommended that loctite be used if using the gasket.

KBR

Established Member
Not to hijack this, but I just bought a used MGW shifter and it did not come with the sound/insulation mat. Any idea if I can get one or what I should use to make my own?
It came with the comfort handle, gasket, and looks like everything else is there.

PS what shifter know do you guys like OEM or ???

KBR

Established Member
Not to hijack this, but I just bought a used MGW shifter and it did not come with the sound/insulation mat. Any idea if I can get one or what I should use to make my own?
It came with the comfort handle, gasket, and looks like everything else is there.

PS what shifter know do you guys like OEM or ???
sorry started a new thread

Users who are viewing this thread