Microfiber towels scratching the paint

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a full paint correction on my cobra. I was removing the sealant and noticed light scratches. I'm not about to redo any stages. This is my 3rd different mf towel and they've all caused scratching. Anyone else have issues with mf's or do I just have the worlds worst luck with them?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I am curious what some of our detailers will reply with. I'm pretty sure any time you make contact with the car you're running the risk of putting light swirls in the paint and you'll see that for sure on black. Primary reason why I bought a oxford white S550, everything is hidden unless you really get up close with really bright lights.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I am curious what some of our detailers will reply with. I'm pretty sure any time you make contact with the car you're running the risk of putting light swirls in the paint and you'll see that for sure on black. Primary reason why I bought a oxford white S550, everything is hidden unless you really get up close with really bright lights.
I agree 100%. Black is a pita but looks great when it's clean. It just sucks to do all that work and that happen. Probably wont be very noticeable to others but I'm OCD and notice every little thing on my car.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

KEVINS

Established Member
On my black car here's the towels I used during the polishing process and these will not scratch the paint but I don't think they absorb water very well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0102GRX8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For drying I just started using a couple of these:
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pfm-drying-towel-griots-garage.html

When drying the car I lay the towel on the area then pat the towel down to absorb the water then I lift it off. I do not wipe the towel across the paint.

I think the best thing the help with drying the water off is a ceramic coating on the paint which you can do yourself for $50-$150 depending on what you want to use. With the coating 98% of the water rolls off the paint initially so there is less water to try and absorb. I haven't done the coating yet but I've been researching it for the last year and plan to do it this spring.

ks

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

KEVINS

Established Member
What kind of microfiber towels are you using?? The best ones I've found so far are the Adam's. They have a killer microfiber towel.
I use both of these.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-double-soft-microfiber-towel.html
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-single-soft-microfiber-towel.html

Those look really nice. I'm curious, how absorbent those towels are for soaking up water? I like the cut pile vs the looped pile versions but the polishing towels I use that are cut pile don't absorb water. The looped pile towels I use do absorb water but they don't feel as soft.

ks

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Those look really nice. I'm curious, how absorbent those towels are for soaking up water? I like the cut pile vs the looped pile versions but the polishing towels I use that are cut pile don't absorb water. The looped pile towels I use do absorb water but they don't feel as soft.

ks
Not sure about soaking up water as I use these on the Roush when doing a waterless wash. And after polishing.
I use them on the truck after I wash it, applying the Reload.
I think there is a video where they use these when doing a wash and they seem to work pretty well.

KEVINS

Established Member
Thnx. I have a feeling that I will be experimenting with a lot of towels/methods this year. When I pat my towel onto the wet panel to absorb the water there's always a little water left behind and it's easy to "wipe" the towel across the paint to remove the water but it's this wiping motion that I am concerned about that could scratch the paint. I hope to find a towel that is absorbent that I can also wipe across the paint to pick up the residual water film.

ks

josephcostello

Established Member
I use a water blade to get the big sections of water off, then I bought a pack of three 12x12 green cotton ultra plush borderless micro fibers from chemicals guys (like $12) and have those specifically for my car (so they stay clean and nice). One for drying after the water blade, one to wipe down car with after shine, and one in the packaging when i was it. It's a great all around towel

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Air is the safest thing with which to remove water from your car's painted surfaces, followed by high-quality microfiber. Like tones_RS3, I rely on Adam's for most of my detailing needs, including microfiber. The towels he listed are designed more for use when polishing than drying. Adam's drying options include their Great White and Ultra Plush towels.

Beyond choosing high-quality towels, proper care of them is also important.

holiks03cobra

Established Member

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've used zwipes, best and indigo.
Zaino makes great products, but in all honesty, the Adam's microfiber towels are the bomb. (I actually love the Zaino polishes and I use the Z8 on the Roush all the time.)
I bet if you tried them, you won't go back. I used to use Sonus microfiber towels before I tired the Adam's and they are pretty awesome. The Adam's are so much more softer and more plush.

Users who are viewing this thread