Microfiber towels scratching the paint

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I feel like microfibers are soft straight out of thr bag, as soon as I wash them they start to stiffen up. I have to try those Adams ones.
Mine get tired after a while, but definitely not right away. What are you using to wash yours? FWIW, I (mostly) follow this advice (i.e., pre-treat/soak dirtiest towels, dedicated microfiber detergent and/or dye free/perfume free liquid laundry soap, warm/hot water, extra rinse cycle, machine dry on low, no fabric softener).

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Cheap, synthetic microfiber towels will put a very fine set of scratches that are seen on dark colors.

I use microfiber towels, but they are normally used when washing or applying a detail spray. Lubrication is key.

As for other detail jobs, I have a variety of rags and foam pads depending on what I am doing.

I am a big fan of soft fluffy wool.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
I know you guys are going to say I'm out of my core, but I just use them once and in the trash they go. lol
It gets expensive, but I like using a new, fresh one every time.

I thought I was the only one. I’ll reuse mine but for different purposes. The look my wife gives me when I use an expensive MF as a gun rag is priceless.

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
The rag company is where I get my towels. It will take forever selecting the ones that you want. You can do a mix until you find the ones that work for you.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I thought I was the only one. I’ll reuse mine but for different purposes. The look my wife gives me when I use an expensive MF as a gun rag is priceless.
I will soak my microfibers in a bucket of hot water and Dawn Dish soap. It takes a few washing, but the was and polish eventually comes out. Then I toss them in a cool / warm dryer with a dryer sheet. They come out soft and fluffy.

Then they become rags to clean inside of the doors, trunk, and hood. Also good for detailing Bullitt / Torque Thrust wheels.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I will run a wash cycle with only hot water to make sure there is nothing left in the machine. Then I throw in the microfiber towels on warm and use All Free and Clear. Then dry on low or air dry.

all-free-Clear-laundry-detergent.jpg

Last edited:

KEVINS

Established Member
I wash mine alone in hot water, no soap of any kind to leave behind. IMO, soap is there to cut grease but after washing there is no grease so why use it. Then I toss them in the dryer.

ks

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I wash mine alone in hot water, no soap of any kind to leave behind. IMO, soap is there to cut grease but after washing there is no grease so why use it. Then I toss them in the dryer.

ks

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but soap is there to act as a lubricant for the sponge as well as loosen up the dirt. Which is why you can use soapy water to clay bar the car but I've never heard of anyone just using straight water.

jayk17

Established Member
It is recommended to use a specific MF towel for a specific application to avoid unanted scratches. I know AutoGeek has a good MF towel application chart.

08mojo

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a full paint correction on my cobra. I was removing the sealant and noticed light scratches. I'm not about to redo any stages. This is my 3rd different mf towel and they've all caused scratching. Anyone else have issues with mf's or do I just have the worlds worst luck with them?

I was not having issues with scratching on my black car, but rather the micro-fiber towels would leave behind the fine fibers on the paint. Sometimes they resembled scratches, but it was almost always the fibers. I curse myself every-time I drag a micro-fiber across the windshield or other glass.

On my black car here's the towels I used during the polishing process and these will not scratch the paint but I don't think they absorb water very well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0102GRX8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For drying I just started using a couple of these:
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pfm-drying-towel-griots-garage.html

When drying the car I lay the towel on the area then pat the towel down to absorb the water then I lift it off. I do not wipe the towel across the paint.

I think the best thing the help with drying the water off is a ceramic coating on the paint which you can do yourself for $50-$150 depending on what you want to use. With the coating 98% of the water rolls off the paint initially so there is less water to try and absorb. I haven't done the coating yet but I've been researching it for the last year and plan to do it this spring.

ks

The best thing I've ever done for drying a car is buying a simple, electric leaf blower. I think the one I bought cost $40 from home depot and has been serving me well for the past 5 years. You no longer have to drag towels across the paint, and you no longer will have water dripping from every crevice.

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
Microfiber towels are very important to maintenance.

When I'm polishing paint I want and inexpensive towel the does NOT scratch paint.
For that I use CarPro shop towel 24" x 16" they lint but do not scratch paint.

For finishing work or for quick detailing I use Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile it does not lint or scratch paint

For drying I use a Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy (25" x 17").

Always ONLY wash microfiber with ONLY other microfiber. Dry on LOW.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I use Adams towels and Cobra towels from AutoGeek. Adams microfiber revitalizer and HOT HOT water to wash.

MetroBlaster sidekick is the first pass on drying though.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I will soak my microfibers in a bucket of hot water and Dawn Dish soap. It takes a few washing, but the was and polish eventually comes out. Then I toss them in a cool / warm dryer with a dryer sheet. They come out soft and fluffy.

Then they become rags to clean inside of the doors, trunk, and hood. Also good for detailing Bullitt / Torque Thrust wheels.

You shouldn't use dryer sheets with microfibers. Your adding stuff to the towels you just got clean.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread