Mixing Torco or Race Fuel with 91 octane

stanger1

Established Member
Group,
This may have been asked before, tried the search and did not get a good hit.
What would be better, as for O2 sensors, cats, etc and end results, to mix Torco with 91 Octane fuel to get around a 94 Octane, or mix in a couple of gallons of like 260Gt or equal, to end up with a 94 Octane fuel?
Mostly this would be a safety margin.
My 13 GT500 is all stock, but the fuel here is 91 max and not always the greatest.
Wanting to do some mods, but our fuel is in question.
No E85 around, so that is out.
Thanks

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Mix MS109 which is an unleaded fuel. No issues with O2 at all, or you could look into a meth system.

ClayDee

Established Member
VP MS100. I mix 5 gallons from time to time with my, "so called," 93 pump gas. Added insurance to make sure I at least have 93 Octane in my tank. Hear to many stories of what gets dumped in the holding tanks. It's an unleaded fuel and no issues with O2's at all. I also, from time to time run a 32oz can of Torco to 15 gallons of gas. Both are expensive to run in every tank, especially the MS100. Good luck.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Op if you're planning to daily drive your car or even drive it frequently I would not rely on Octane booster. Save it for the occasion, track day or weekend drive ect. when you will be leaning on it. GT500's just go through too much fuel. As a guy who ordered a 93 octane tune and relied on Octane boost to get there, I can say it got old quickly. You'd be better off to datalog your car, monitor your AFR and Knock sensors ect. to know if you're running safe and if your tune is dialed in. Just my .02$

raustin0017

Established Member
^^^Agree. Want to wake it up a little? Call Van at Revan Racing, 561-445-7702, and tell him what you want to do with your ride and he will not try and oversell you and will give solid advice. He can hook you up with any upgrades and his customer service is top shelf. Many GT500 around running 91 without fuel additives.

You mentioned you want to do some mods. The 1st thing I did was to order his 13-5 Kit and it took me about 2 hours total to install the new CAI, Throttle Body, Spark Plugs, Upper Pulley and Tune. Was amazed on how easy it was.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Any unleaded 100 octane can be mixed with unleaded 91. You will be blown away at how much 100 you really need to move up a few points *edit* octane numbers.

Try this calculator to figure out your mix:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/octane-mix-calc.php

Our tanks still have about 1.5 gallons or so in them when we are at 0 miles remaining. Capacity is 16 gallons.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
race_gas_104_002.jpg

stanger1

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.
Lexustech48, thanks for the Fuel calculator. Amazing that Torco can raise points quickly and fuel takes several gallons.
Does a mix of Race Fuel and 91 still turn the insides,( plugs, etc) an Orange color like Torco can?
My car is just for weekends and play time. Not a DD.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@stanger1 Unleaded 100 shouldnt turn em orange. I had already run a bunch of Torco on my last set of plugs in addition to 100 so it was already turnt. Unable to say from personal experience.

For the track Ive been mixing VP Octanium with 94 to make 100 as Jon Lund Jrs recommendation.... No issues!

Youve NO idea how much Id love to have 93, let alone 94!!!! Octanium seems to be a smidgen cheaper and from a more reputable source of racing fuel. Next time at the track, Octanium is coming along.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I’ve considered an octane booster too. But I just run 93 in my tank on a 91 tune. 93 is about $4/gal here. But she doesn’t even go through a tank a month.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
If the race fuel is easily obtainable and reasonable priced, that would be my first choice. After that Boostane or Torco. I'm in the same boat. Pretty much stock except for the CAI and 91 octane tune. The fuel here in Ontario is not that great and race fuel is very expensive and hard to find. I was hearing some mild pinging when going into boost in 3rd gear. I've gone colder plugs and and have been mixing 1/4 can of Boostane in a tank of 91. So far that has worked. No more pinging. I'm going colder thermosat to hedge my bet.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone ever try blending MS109 with 91? I'm currently blending 91 with 16oz of torco to get 93 octane. But I got a great deal on MS109 and thinking about blending that to get 93.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Like Razor I followed Lund's advice and used a $20 quart bottle of VP Octanium in my first tank then topped off each refill with another pint. I believe that keeps me in the mid-upper 90's in octane given we start here at 93. Considering it's a weekend car show driver if I spend $200 each season on VP Octanium it's worth it to my conscience :)->) !

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Like Razor I followed Lund's advice and used a $20 quart bottle of VP Octanium in my first tank then topped off each refill with another pint. I believe that keeps me in the mid-upper 90's in octane given we start here at 93. Considering it's a weekend car show driver if I spend $200 each season on VP Octanium it's worth it to my conscience :)->) !
You like the VP Octanium? I didn't know Lund recommend it.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I do like the VP Octanium. When Lund was reviewing my data logs he noted my regular area Sunoco fuel might not be the best 93 octane. He recommended increasing octane a bit with a race gas mix.....or VP Octanium. I switched gas stations did some data logs then added VP Octanium with another data log. Lund liked both logs.....introduced a bit more timing. Not sure any local gas stations are very consistent but now use Mobil + VPO because it was suggested.
* VP advised it was not designed for long term storage so I went through a tank before storing winter fuel with Stabil and no VPO.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I do like the VP Octanium. When Lund was reviewing my data logs he noted my regular area Sunoco fuel might not be the best 93 octane. He recommended increasing octane a bit with a race gas mix.....or VP Octanium. I switched gas stations did some data logs then added VP Octanium with another data log. Lund liked both logs.....introduced a bit more timing. Not sure any local gas stations are very consistent but now use Mobil + VPO because it was suggested.
* VP advised it was not designed for long term storage so I went through a tank before storing winter fuel with Stabil and no VPO.
Great to know, I'm guessing it turns your plugs orange like torco, but if Lund recommends it than I'll try it.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Yeah...he said they may appear a bit orange but not to worry about that, heat range , gap or anything. I know OP was talking about Torco....I didn't know that also effects plug color .
Main objective for me was keeping the knock sensors happy.

Users who are viewing this thread