MMR Releases the new Carbon Fiber Trunk lids - saves 25lbs!!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MMR is pleased to release the new Carbon fiber trunk lids for:

2010-2014 Mustang models
2015-2017 Mustang Models.

These new items weigh 25 lbs less than stock and is made from 100% carbon fiber, finally they are gel coated for easy pre paint prep. This design does NOT use the factory hinge to help reduce weight, zeus type fasteners suggested for installation. Retail is $499 and dealer inquiries are invited.

In stock now! - order here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64

For the racers out there be sure to check out our carbon fiber bumpers, dashboards and transmission tunnels for 2010+ Vehicles.

Modular Mustang Racing

427236_.jpg

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Fitment is perfect, it was molded using a factory trunk lid so dimensions are identical, Install does required dzus fasteners however as part of the goal of this part was to remove the factory heavy hinges to reduce some of the weight. We will post more pics asap.

Last edited:

5.0GT

Established Member
Would it hold the CS wing at 120+ mph without cracking? Any compromises?

5.0GT

Established Member
I think they are referring to their 2013 5.0 at which has done 7.02 @ 202 so far.

I know 202 is a lot, but it's not getting any direct pressure, or not a lot to fair. I know CS/Laguna Seca wing doesn't have that hardcore racer down force, but I think it has enough down force to be concerned about.

Does it come in a carbon fiber look?

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I know 202 is a lot, but it's not getting any direct pressure, or not a lot to fair. I know CS/Laguna Seca wing doesn't have that hardcore racer down force, but I think it has enough down force to be concerned about.

a wind tunnel study would really tell the truth, but I would imagine that a cantilevered race wing like they have on their 2013 GT experiences a good bit of moment induced by downforce at 200 mph.

george.arnold

Established Member

Go make a pass in that car with the wing at 202 mph. Then go make a pass in that car without the wing. I bet you feel differently about how much downforce that wing gives. A wing like that is effectively used to extend the rear of the car and add sill plates to keep the car stable at 200+.

Bud

Established Member
This is good stuff, does the 25lbs weight savings include tossing the hinges (and the weight of the struts), or is the 25lbs strictly the difference between sheet metal and CF?

That would make up for almost half of the weight gained with a big trunk mounted IC reservoir.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is good stuff, does the 25lbs weight savings include tossing the hinges (and the weight of the struts), or is the 25lbs strictly the difference between sheet metal and CF?

That would make up for almost half of the weight gained with a big trunk mounted IC reservoir.

This includes the hinges, but the hinges/struts only make up for 4 lbs, the rest is all the trunk lid savings

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
a wind tunnel study would really tell the truth, but I would imagine that a cantilevered race wing like they have on their 2013 GT experiences a good bit of moment induced by downforce at 200 mph.

In an interesting test the MMR Pro Mod car that uses a flat style wing had some strange rear shock readings from 1/2 track on (about 190mph+), the shocks were completely bottomed out according to our racepak data which we initially thought was wrong, We lowered the wing setting and gained back over 1 inch of travel (also picked up about 4mph). It turns out the down force had placed over 1.1 inches of preload on the springs/shocks, this preload when duplicated on the weight scales was over 450lbs !! So yes, this type of wing is very functional and places tremendous load on the the rear of the vehicle/components.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
In an interesting test the MMR Pro Mod car that uses a flat style wing had some strange rear shock readings from 1/2 track on (about 190mph+), the shocks were completely bottomed out according to our racepak data which we initially thought was wrong, We lowered the wing setting and gained back over 1 inch of travel (also picked up about 4mph). It turns out the down force had placed over 1.1 inches of preload on the springs/shocks, this preload when duplicated on the weight scales was over 450lbs !! So yes, this type of wing is very functional and places tremendous load on the the rear of the vehicle/components.
Yeah, if it works like I think it does, it extends the rear surface area of the vehicle which allows for the wind pressure coming off the roof of the car to apply more downward force on the rear of the car.

when y'all were maxing out the shocks, did your driver experience any front lift or steering problems?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, if it works like I think it does, it extends the rear surface area of the vehicle which allows for the wind pressure coming off the roof of the car to apply more downward force on the rear of the car.

when y'all were maxing out the shocks, did your driver experience any front lift or steering problems?

He did not, but he did not know any different because we had run it like that from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread