Modern manual or automatic in 1969 Mach 1

2000gt4.6

Established Member
My father has a 1969 Mach 1, currently with a 4 speed manual. The car is getting a engine out paint job and he mentioned he would like to change the transmission to a modern 5 speed manual or a new 6 speed automatic.

I got a quote for him from a reputable online seller for about 4200 to do a TKO 600 swap. Does this sound reasonable?

I have found zero information on doing a modern auto swap, not sure if they would even fit in the tunnel? The TKO is billed as a direct fit with no cutting (just adapter plates and braces).

He wants to be able to cruise the highway at 65-70 without spinning the crap out of it, plus the 4 speed (super t10?) shifts like crap.

cj428mach

Established Member
What engine is in his 69 Mach 1?

If its a small block a t5 would almost be a direct bolt in and should handle most mild builds, it is also very cheap at about $1500 from American Muscle. The AOD is also available for autos and would more or less be a direct bolt in as well.

If you have an FE big block then the overdrive options are fewer and much more expensive. The tko swap would run close to what you were quoted for a complete swap, the auto overdrive options are 4k+ as well.

The transmission in your dad's Mach would be a toploader, the t10 was used until the mid 60's.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I'll have to look into t5s. It's a 351W.

Is there anyone who offers a kit for the T5 or AOD?

cj428mach

Established Member

You can check with modern driveline for a "kit". The nice thing about a T5 is that its almost a direct bolt in, I do believe that most of the big mustang places sell adapter plates, and crossmembers for them in a kit. When it comes time to buy the transmission look at American Muscle, their free shipping and 6% discount really helps. Thats where I bought my T5 for my street rod and it saved me about $100.00

Last edited:

cotten

Established Member
T5z is probably your best bet. I, myself, have a tko600. It shifts ok to say at best. nothing like a t5 or a t56 though.

sadbuttrue

Established Member
depends on what you're looking out of it. Mach1s more than any other mustang were about the cruising/big engine/image, if thats what you want an AOD is great.

That said, the T5 swap I did was the best thing I ever did on my 66. Everything about the car is better.. its more fun, more engaging to drive, better gas mileage (have gotten over 20 on trips!), less wear. And the $400 89 T5 (not even a good year) i bought has lasted almost 10 years with 400 hp in front of it. My cars light but thus far the concerns about my 351w(s) breaking it have been unfounded. And granted, those 400 hp are more often than not a 'hypothetical' figure because somethings wrong with the engine, and thus the T5 has gotten a lot of time off, but still. And there are so many swap parts out there its ridiculous. The whole swap can be done for $1500-2000, which is what you'll pay to replace a tired transmission no matter what.

Biggest things I'd recommend would be to think about clutch cable routing ahead of time... it can be a tricky thing in classics (though your 69 will have more room than my 66).

sadbuttrue

Established Member

tons of people. mustangs unlimited and NPD both offer everything you need.

You can also fab it from foxbody parts. I'm using a Fox AOD cross member that we welded a parkign brake perch on; my clutch cable is from a fox of some sort, etc. All the output shaft parts and other things swapped from my C4. Its a much more natural fit than you'd think, really.

sadbuttrue

Established Member
Though i would get a T5z if i were to do it over again. *tiny* bit of piece of mind. But when I did this I was just out college and broke...

Users who are viewing this thread