motor oil 5w50

bull3441

Established Member
Unleashed in 5, 4, 3, 2, ..... Op you're about to get an AMsoil lecture

6-Speed

Established Member
I was able to find Mobil 1 5W50 at NAPA. They had it on sale for $5.79/qt through March.

03blueslobra

Established Member
Just go ahead and break down and become a amsoil preferred customer. It is worth it in the long run. I just ordered all my fluids for the car. That is oil, transmission fluid and rear end fluid. Also got the amsoil filter and pump to make it easier to put the fluids back in. Ran me about 200 bucks. And then 10 dollars in hobbie shop fees. Got to love the hobbie shop and a lift.

jcthorne

Established Member
I prefer the Rotella Synthetic 5W40 over the Amsoil, Motorcraft or M1 for various reasons. Lab results show it is holding up very well and a good real world use viscosity match.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
They have made it for a while but mostly stocked in Europe. Some places carry it in the US but not many

I'll stick with my amsoil

Olisickstang

Established Member
I prefer the Rotella Synthetic 5W40 over the Amsoil, Motorcraft or M1 for various reasons. Lab results show it is holding up very well and a good real world use viscosity match.

I recently called a known speed shop near Montreal. The employee at the service told me to put Rotella 5w-40 in my mustang. He said that Ford put 5w-50 due to the regulation on the pollution emitted... !? I don't know what to think about the 5w-40...

cjgt500

Established Member
I recently called a known speed shop near Montreal. The employee at the service told me to put Rotella 5w-40 in my mustang. He said that Ford put 5w-50 due to the regulation on the pollution emitted... !? I don't know what to think about the 5w-40...

Isn't Rotella 5W40 a diesel formulation that has magnesium in it for diesels? That is what I put in my truck last oil change while next is Amsoil.

NJSP117

Established Member
They have made it for a while but mostly stocked in Europe. Some places carry it in the US but not many

I'll stick with my amsoil

Same here...amsoil makes the most sense....a bargain with the preferred pricing...but I run 10w30 in mine....

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Rotella synthetic 5w-40 is what I run in my 6.0 PSD. I use Amsoil 10W-30 in the GT500

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
http://www-static.shell.com/static/...ts_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t6.pdfThe Rotella T6 Full synthetic carries the API SH rating for use in gasoline polution controlled vehicles. Its a very well regarded oil, very low volitility for minimal blow by, extreamly good wear resistance and very viscosity stable over its life. Its an excellent gasoline engine oil for many of the same reasons it works in high stress turbo diesels. No, the soot control will likely not help your DOHC 5.4 SC all that much, but it does not hurt either to keep the engine very clean. Why keep multiple brands and grades of oil around if you don't need to?

We use the Rotella in our entire fleet of vehicle and stationary engines with extreamly good lab results.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/...ts_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t6.pdf

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Mobil 1 makes a 5w50? That must be new..

Actually they've made it for a while, just most places don't stock it unless special ordered.

I went to my local NAPA, ordered three cases (18qts) last week when it was on sale, and they had it the very next day for me.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I currently have Red Line 5-50 in the car. I just put the Reisch thermostat in and will be changing with Amsoil 10-30 which is in my garage waiting.
The Red Line got great lab results so far, but the price is substantially more then Amsoil when you buy the preferred customer package

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Ran Mobil 1 0W-40 for my first oil change with great results and then switched to Amsoil 10W-40 and am sticking with it. You'll be happy with either one and if you run a oil analysis on each you'll see they are both great oils.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed in 5, 4, 3, 2, ..... Op you're about to get an AMsoil lecture

Is the party over yet?

oil pressure @ start up with 5w-50 is about 100psi. drop to 10w-40.

Ouch, BAD!!!

If magnesium as a detergent additive for a gasoline engine is your thing (suspect of engine deposits), why not. I won't use Rotella, but I do admit it does offer good bang for the buck for diesel engines.

Actually they've made it for a while, just most places don't stock it unless special ordered.

I went to my local NAPA, ordered three cases (18qts) last week when it was on sale, and they had it the very next day for me.

Could have saved you some money with preferred customer Amsoil pricing, and had it delivered to your door.

Ran Mobil 1 0W-40 for my first oil change with great results

It's a very good choice when grabbing a lubricant off the shelf, and one of Mobil's best formulations. I would use this over Rotella T5 or T6 any day of the week. *No Magnesium*

but the price is substantially more then Amsoil when you buy the preferred customer package

Preferred Customer pricing FTW!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread