Motorcraft 5W50 VOA

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
DAM! I gotta work tonight and tomorrow night. I was thinking about trying to make it down there on Tuesday, but I haven't checked their schedule to make sure they're still doing test & tunes on Tuesday nights.
I'm off next weekend so maybe Sunday I can slip down there for a few runs.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is an excellent spec sheet comparison of the different 5W-50 engine oils. Credit goes to JimC @ Team Shelby.

5x50oiljpeg.jpg

and here is the comment I posted about it at TS forums.

Excellent spread sheet, and it backs up what I have been telling members at SVTP. If you insist on a 5W-50, go with Red Line, it's the best 5W-50 on the market.

Take a look at Red Line's HT/HS and NOACK Volatility, they are both far beyond the other oils. You will NOT experience the shearing with this oil like we have seen with FoMoCo and Mobil 5W-50. It will shear some, but nothing close to the horror I see with FoMoCo. Red Line's oil ranks #1 on your chart for good reason, it's the only oil that is formulated as a true group IV/V blend synthetic.

High volatilty combined with low HT/HS numbers are a dead give away that the manufacturer used a group III base stock.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Great info here, and Thanx for the analysis Troy, appreciate it. So for the 5W/50 it looks like Redline is clearly # 1, just have to think ahead to order. What is interesting to me is the Pennzoil which is # 2 and should be easily available. Haven't heard anything about it. The Castrol was really bad, and in fact even the Motorcraft tested better. A LOT of Gt500 and Ford Gt owners have been using the Castrol 5W/50....Now someone needs to do this for the Term. owners and test the 5/20 and 5/30 full synthetics and include Royal Purple and Amsoil....

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Great info here, and Thanx for the analysis Troy, appreciate it. So for the 5W/50 it looks like Redline is clearly # 1, just have to think ahead to order. What is interesting to me is the Pennzoil which is # 2 and should be easily available. Haven't heard anything about it. The Castrol was really bad, and in fact even the Motorcraft tested better. A LOT of Gt500 and Ford Gt owners have been using the Castrol 5W/50....Now someone needs to do this for the Term. owners and test the 5/20 and 5/30 full synthetics and include Royal Purple and Amsoil....

+1 castrol was super bad

vankuen

Established Member
When the UOA results on all oils discussed in the GT500 section the past month come to light, you will not WANT to discuss anything about 5W-50 any longer.

:nono:

What's the difference between 5w50 and 20w50?

...winter temp and warranty retention.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What's the difference between 5w50 and 20w50?

...winter temp and warranty retention.

The 20W-50 will not flow as well in freezing temperatures (less than 0*F) as a top tier 5W-50 will.

Now, the 20W-50 (only if it's a group IV synthetic) will not void your warranty. The oil analysis will show the cSt @ 40* and 100* to be the same ballpark as the 5W-50.

Never pour a conventional 20W-50 in your GT500. That WOULD be madness.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
Beast - do you think the low ZDDP additives in the virgin MC sample could be due to settling out of suspension over time ... and ending up at the bottom of the bottle? I did not shake the bottle before taking the sample.

Regardless, I am changing out my MC oil today for Red Line 5W50 and will send in a sample for a UOA. That should tell me if the oil had unusually low Zn and P.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast - do you think the low ZDDP additives in the virgin MC sample could be due to settling out of suspension over time ... and ending up at the bottom of the bottle? I did not shake the bottle before taking the sample.

Regardless, I am changing out my MC oil today for Red Line 5W50 and will send in a sample for a UOA. That should tell me if the oil had unusually low Zn and P.

Very possible, glad you brought that up. This is why anyone who takes a sample from an oil change always gets the oil hot before the drain, or extraction pump method.

I can't wait to see a VOA and UOA from Red Line 5W-50

6-Speed

Established Member
Very possible, glad you brought that up. This is why anyone who takes a sample from an oil change always gets the oil hot before the drain, or extraction pump method.

I can't wait to see a VOA and UOA from Red Line 5W-50
Yes, I plan to drive the car for at least 20 minutes before draining and then take a sample about mid-way through the drain.

I'm looking forward to the oil analysis too for the Red Line oil.

vankuen

Established Member
The 20W-50 will not flow as well in freezing temperatures (less than 0*F) as a top tier 5W-50 will.

Now, the 20W-50 (only if it's a group IV synthetic) will not void your warranty. The oil analysis will show the cSt @ 40* and 100* to be the same ballpark as the 5W-50.

Never pour a conventional 20W-50 in your GT500. That WOULD be madness.

Well the unfortunate reality is that a dealer CAN and WILL void the warranty if there is engine failure and they say it's because you didn't use 5w50 b-spec oil. Doesn't matter really what anyone's opinion is on a forum.

Sure you can try to fight it, but the one with the biggest pockets generally wins that one...and more often than not that's going to be the dealer. I'd say safer to use Redline 5w50 if it's b-spec and just add the additives where desired and call it a day.

Most folks won't keep their vehicles long enough to realize any detriments from using "factory oil" anyway.

But thanks for bringing up info like this. I'll continue to follow your posts on this subject because I'm always ready to learn something new...especially when it comes to cars.

GT50008

Established Member
The oil does matter to me. I plan to keep the car for 100,000 miles plus. I am sure there are a few more of us who don't plan to let their car go and will see the effects of improper oil.

I am very interested in the oil test results submitted in this thread.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
They would have to prove the oil was the cause of the failure. The oil analysis would prove that it was not. No engineer is going to review a UOA for an engine lubricant that is superior to the -B spec, and in turn void a warranty.

Red Line 5W-50 isn't on Ford's approved list due to higher amounts of ZDDP.

-B is the "minimum" spec required for warranty reasons.

vankuen

Established Member
Ah! So then they'll void the cat failure warranty because of the engine oil? Of rather them do that as a byproduct of using non-motorcraft oil.

Users who are viewing this thread