Motorcraft FL-820s vs Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 Oil Filters

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Why not try to take care of your engine properly? .

While I don't disagree the ford racing filter may be better, to imply that those using the standard Fl-820s filter are not properly taking care of their engines is asinine. There will always be some "better" product, be it connecting rods, oil filters, or shifters. That said, at a point, it simply becomes overkill.

There are thousands of hard driven 4v mod motors out there that have been using the standard fl-820s filter for over 100k miles without any oil related problems. While the FRPP filter may be better, there is no evidence that I have seen that indicates that the standard motorcraft filter is not good enough. Most cars do not spend their life at the racetrack bouncing off the rev limiter, and given how frequently most owners change their oil/filter, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the standard product. If you want to use the more expensive one for piece of mind, feel free, but don't chide others for not falling prey to some desire to purchase products that are overkill.

Tarball

Established Member
I'm going to buy one of these Ford Racing filters and do an oil analysis to see if there is any measurable data suggesting it may be doing a better job than the Motorcraft 820s. I could justify spending $12.99 even it was just slightly better than the Motorcraft one. I don't change oil until 5500 - 6000.

I'll be running GC with FR oil change in about 2000 miles. I have 2 filters at home already. I'm thinking of moving from a 3k change to a 6 or 7k change.

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
While I don't disagree the ford racing filter may be better, to imply that those using the standard Fl-820s filter are not properly taking care of their engines is asinine. There will always be some "better" product, be it connecting rods, oil filters, or shifters. That said, at a point, it simply becomes overkill.

There are thousands of hard driven 4v mod motors out there that have been using the standard fl-820s filter for over 100k miles without any oil related problems. While the FRPP filter may be better, there is no evidence that I have seen that indicates that the standard motorcraft filter is not good enough. Most cars do not spend their life at the racetrack bouncing off the rev limiter, and given how frequently most owners change their oil/filter, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the standard product. If you want to use the more expensive one for piece of mind, feel free, but don't chide others for not falling prey to some desire to purchase products that are overkill.
well said, see my first post

esc

Personally speaking, If I had a hard time rationalizing the recommended maintenance requirements, I could never have rationalized the vehicle purchase! Just my .02 :shrug:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'll be running GC with FR oil change in about 2000 miles. I have 2 filters at home already. I'm thinking of moving from a 3k change to a 6 or 7k change.

If you send in a sample to blackstone, they can provide a reasoned estimate on when you should change it. Beats a wag ;)

Users who are viewing this thread