MPSS on stock wheels?

tw0scoops

Established Member
Does anyone have pics of how the MPSS 295rear/275front look on the PP wheels? Seems to be a popular choice, but with only a 9.5" wheel, I would think there would be some bulging. Been searching for a while, can't seem to find any. Thanks!

Husky44

Established Member
Definite bulge on the rears; not so much on the fronts. Here's crappy cell phone pics, which is all I have for you:

Fronts:
temporary_zpse397c058.gif

Rear
temporary_zps834ca1f0.gif

Another view looking straight down on rears:
temporary_zps9ffab4fa.gif

Still infinitely happier with them over the GYs

Last edited:

tw0scoops

Established Member
Looks a lot better than I thought. Are there any negatives to going that wide in the back on a smaller wheel? Or is it still within tolerance of the 9.5? Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm always a little lost when it comes to mating tire sizes to wheels.

Also what's the full size description? 275/40ZR19 (105Y) , 295/35ZR20 (105Y) ?

Thanks for the pics though!

Last edited:

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Do the mpss tires pick up a lot of loose pebbles off the ground when driving? My stock gy's do. Sounds horrible, like I shouldn't have any paint left horrible.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Do the mpss tires pick up a lot of loose pebbles off the ground when driving? My stock gy's do. Sounds horrible, like I shouldn't have any paint left horrible.

Mine still pick-up a bit of the loose dirt/pebbles, but I don't think they're as bad as the stock GYs. What I can say definitively is that the car should have come off the Flat Rock line with MPSS. I was amazed at how they quieted and smoothed the ride while providing FAR better traction. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!

tw0scoops

Established Member
How come everyone seems to be getting the 105Ys over the 101Ys? The load index of the 101Ys would still work on our cars, correct?

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
How are these on lower temperature hold? My car is effectively off the road already here in MD as I leave at 530am for work and it's generally high 30's to mid 40's now. This is my favorite time of year and can barely enjoy the car because of temps and the GYs.

turbo

Established Member
How come everyone seems to be getting the 105Ys over the 101Ys? The load index of the 101Ys would still work on our cars, correct?

can anybody answer this? also, with the slight bulge of the 295 in the rear, does that effect contact patch of the tire?

tw0scoops

Established Member
can anybody answer this? also, with the slight bulge of the 295 in the rear, does that effect contact patch of the tire?

Only thing I can come up with is that a higher load index is going to have stiffer sidewalls, so maybe since the tire is wider and bulges a littler, a stiffer sidewall will help counter the effects of the bulging?

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

Because the 105's have a wider section width; aka- more meat on the ground... I was amazed that they're 12 inches wide as that's close to what my 315's R888 had. I believe the 888 are 12.4 wide

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
How are these on lower temperature hold? My car is effectively off the road already here in MD as I leave at 530am for work and it's generally high 30's to mid 40's now. This is my favorite time of year and can barely enjoy the car because of temps and the GYs.

MPSS are rated as "summer" tires so, if you want real stability at low temps, you should probably look at Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S 3.

That said, I put MPSS on mine a couple of weeks ago and could not be happier with them. They are, in every respect, superior to the stock GYs - quieter, smoother, and lots more grip. I've driven on them down to about 40 degrees (+/-). Extra care is, of course, called for but I found the car very stable when I punched it from a slow roll in first. The tires chirped and I was planted in my seat. Same thing happened when I hit second. FWIW, I'm comfortable with them for the limited, fair weather, warm day driving I'll do through the winter.

Husky44

Established Member
Resurrecting this thread to add some info for those who might use the search function in the future:

I just discovered a disadvantage to the 295s on stock width rims: The bulge makes it impossible to mount most alignment heads on the rear wheels, using standard procedures. Fortunately for me, the guy who was doing my alignment was determined, and figured out a creative workaround:

Once the car is on the rack, ready to mount the rear heads, let the air out of the rear tire, to create enough slack between the sidewall bulge and the rim. Fit the head, then re-inflate the tire. Removal doesn't require letting the air out again. Thought I'd pass this on.

tw0scoops

Established Member
Resurrecting this thread to add some info for those who might use the search function in the future:

I just discovered a disadvantage to the 295s on stock width rims: The bulge makes it impossible to mount most alignment heads on the rear wheels, using standard procedures. Fortunately for me, the guy who was doing my alignment was determined, and figured out a creative workaround:

Once the car is on the rack, ready to mount the rear heads, let the air out of the rear tire, to create enough slack between the sidewall bulge and the rim. Fit the head, then re-inflate the tire. Removal doesn't require letting the air out again. Thought I'd pass this on.

Wonder if you plan on doing an alignment would it be good to dump my winter tires on, get the alignment, then swap them back, or would the difference in wheel widths/tires change the alignment?

Users who are viewing this thread