MT-82-FORD-DEALERSHIP-TRANSMISSION SHOP WOES

madscotsman

Established Member
Lost 3rd gear in my 12' about a month ago. Car has been sitting at the Ford dealership since then. Ford apparently has no 12' MT-82's or parts for them right now and no lead on when they will be available (is that even possible?!?). I have an extended warranty and believe it or not they are covering the cost of a a new trans or fix. After discussing with my service guy my choices were: Wait for Ford, Get a salvaged unit, or go with a 3rd party MT-82 (warranty wouldn't pay for a Tremec because of all the other changes required).
We went with a company called Astro Performance Warehouse (I couldn't get ahold of Ben Calimer after multiple messages left). Dealership got Astro's transmission installed and the car will not go into reverse now. I'm stuck between the dealership and a transmission company now as to who is going to pay for the removal and rebuild of the first replacement transmission by the dealership using my old transmission's reverse pieces, or who is going to pay for the removal and shipping again of the non-working replacement back to PA and another new one from PA to IN.

FML

M91196

Established Member
Urghhhh.

Doesn’t seem like you should be stuck, they picked/approved the supplier and the warranty terms that go along with that relationship.
We buy Allison transmissions from a huge rebuilder and they pay us 105 per hour for warranty work on their stuff, it’s part of the deal.

Is this a third party warranty?

Is it too late to rebuild, maybe no stock is available either but aren’t the gear clusters from 13/14 improved and interchangeable?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Would they have paid up to the amount of a transmission, then you cover the rest to put a Tremec in it?

madscotsman

Established Member
3rd party extended warranty. Service guy told me they can't get parts or a replacement from Ford right now?? Warranty initially agreed to pay the $1400 for the replacement base Astro transmission and all the labor. I agreed to pay for the additional internal polishing, heat treating as well as the core exchange shipping in order to get Astro's 1 year warranty. What else would I need besides a 1 piece drive shaft, different cross member and shifter for the Tremec conversion, if that becomes an option?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Your telling me there isn't ONE MT-82 trans in stock at ANY dealership in the USA? Don't make me do a search..
I would have had them give me a rental til the brand new in box tranny arrived. Let them bill Ford for the fiasco.

madscotsman

Established Member
That's what I was told 3 weeks ago. Service guy just called me this afternoon. Astro Performace is paying for Ford to remove the trans and send it back to them in Texas so the owner can go through it and then re-ship it back to the dealership again. Supposed to be back a week from Thursday if they get it out and palletted today.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The transmission, CR3Z-7003-A is on b/o with no date off. A few dealers and powertrain distributors show them in stock. Not sure about your warranty, but most of the third party aftermarket warranties will not pay a buyout fee to purchase from another dealer like if it was factory warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread