MT-82 Whine

alex3610

Established Member
My car has developed a faint gear whine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. It occurs from about 2300-3000rpm, and best I can describe it as almost like the blower whine in a terminator but much quieter. You have to be listening for it, but I know it wasn't always there. Am I wasting my time taking it to the dealer? Is it even worth worrying about? Or is it a sign of impending doom for my trans? Car is stock minus mufflers with about 27k miles on it.
Thanks

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Had the same "whine". Very faint and heard with no radio. Put Amsoil synchromesh in and it shifts better and quieter. Big difference cold or hot.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
My car has developed a faint gear whine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. It occurs from about 2300-3000rpm, and best I can describe it as almost like the blower whine in a terminator but much quieter. You have to be listening for it, but I know it wasn't always there. Am I wasting my time taking it to the dealer? Is it even worth worrying about? Or is it a sign of impending doom for my trans? Car is stock minus mufflers with about 27k miles on it.
Thanks

It will get worse and sooner or later will sound like mine. It shifts better with the amsoil but still loud as piss. Iv put close to 600 ftlbs of torque and over 700 hp thru mine so I guess I can't complain too much lol.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Mine has whined from about 500 miles till now. Almost 15k miles and a lot of abuse. Shifts great. Stock fluid and clutch. If you want take it to the dealer but this transmissions are a bit noisy.

DrTriton

Established Member
My '11 started doing the same thing. As others mentioned it will get worse over time. I tried the Amsoil and it did help the grinding and shift effort but it isn't going to solve the issues the stock unit has.

My solution was also a Tremec Magnum - it's getting installed tomorrow.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So you can mix the Amsoil and the ford additive xl-18?

In most cases, I'd refrain from mixing any additive into Amsoil, however, in this case....it performs.

Other Mustang Forum members have raved about the quieting effects of XL-18, no matter what lubricant was in the transmission. Think in terms of how friction modifier reduces hypoid gear noise. This has a similar effect.

Last edited:

Krace

Established Member
I have an 2011 mt-82 in my 2012. My first one had the 4th synchro go out (I think it was my own fault it failed). Picked up the mt-82 for 1k (used 11k miles, same miles that are on my car) and swapped it out at my friends shop.

But anyway, I to have the "whine" in this one. I am running Redline MTL, and it shifts really well and no problems with it. Id be really interested to know if the "whine" goes away with this additive.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
In most cases, I'd refrain from mixing any additive into Amsoil, however, in this case....it performs.

Other Mustang Forum members have raved about the quieting effects of XL-18, no matter what lubricant was in the transmission. Think in terms of how friction modifier reduces hypoid gear noise. This has a similar effect.

Friction modifier keeps diff clutches from chattering. It is not designed for, and has no effect on gear noise.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Take it in to ford. Its the start of a failing tranny

il show you a failed tranny.... when i get back to texas with my spare mt82 :banana:

gonna bolt some sticky tires on the car and do like 7k dumps until it explodes lol. maybe not that bad but i will give it hell and see what happens.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Friction modifier keeps diff clutches from chattering. It is not designed for, and has no effect on gear noise.

There are different types of gear noises, ring and pinion whine, and hypoid gear noises in the spider gears. I wasn't referring to gear whine from ring and pinion.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
il show you a failed tranny.... when i get back to texas with my spare mt82 :banana:

gonna bolt some sticky tires on the car and do like 7k dumps until it explodes lol. maybe not that bad but i will give it hell and see what happens.

Haha. Did u ever buy that tr6060 setup?

Users who are viewing this thread