mt82 hard to get into first at times

krhonn

Established Member
I just started to come across the issue of my trans not wanting to go into first at times. A little background of what all that I've done and has happened. Tranny has less than 7,000 miles on it. It has a mcleod rxt in it. Clutch has been in car for 2,500 miles or less. I've taken the car to the strip 3 times.
Here is what I'm thinking. While installing a line lock I stripped the threads on one of the hydraulic ports. I found one on ebay and installed it with no problems or leaks. I'm wondering if the reservoir being empty had any affect on getting air in the clutch line?
I could be way off and this might be another issue.
If anyone has ran across this problem and found a solution or if someone knows what the cause could be then please learn me good.

StalkerStang

Established Member
The system self bleeds through use and pumping of the clutch pedal. The air should work out through regular use. Do you have a leak anywhere?

The only other thing would be if the slave to pressure plate gap is too much then it will be hard to engage gears.

Did this happen after the RXT was installed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

krhonn

Established Member
I don't know why i keep starting threads in the wrong area! sorry guys...

StalkerStang, I haven't noticed a leak or loss of fluid.
I noticed this happening a few days after the drag strip day. clutch has been installed for a bit over 2,000 miles now.
It only happened a few times so far and only going into first gear.
It reminds me of a high rpm lockout when rowing gears.

krhonn

Established Member
StalkerStang, I just got off the phone with Ben Calimer. He mentioned the dual plates in the rxt clutch can at times cause it to be tough to engage going into first. He also mentioned installing a 13-14 cobra clutch master cylinder which allows more fluid flow. I guess the 5.0 have a plastic unit compared to a cast, I believe he said on the cobra.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I have a RST in mine. I occasionally have it hard to pull out of first when I start it up (I leave it in first when I shut it off).

I recently installed the 13/14 GT500 master in mine. It will firm the pedal up a bit and the engagement zone will be higher up the pedal (closer to the top). It is metal also.

Users who are viewing this thread