• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Mustang Week 2017 Dates & New Car Show Location

Discussion in 'Mustang Week @ Myrtle Beach' started by EditorTurner, Aug 29, 2016.

1. EditorTurner

EditorTurner New Member Established Member

[​IMG]

Big Moves
    Start planning your 2017 vacation because Mustang Week has new dates
    By Steve Turner

Since its inception Mustang Week has been held at the apex of the summer in the July heat, but coming in 2017 there are some big changes on the horizon for one of the premier Mustang events in the country. Not only will it be held later in the year next year, but the main events will also move to a larger facility.

“Upon returning from this year’s event, the Mustang Week Staff began working with the Myrtle Beach Convention Center to move our two largest events, Friday’s Car Show and Saturday’s Cruise-In, to that location,” Mustang Week’s Rodney Melton said in a letter to sponsors. “And, after some time and careful consideration, we have reached an agreement and our two main events will move there in 2017.”

Next year Mustang Week will start on Labor Day, September 4, and run through September 10. So, it will still be a summertime event, but later in the year when the temperatures and the crowds start to wane in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

“For many years participants have constantly asked us to move Mustang Week to a time of year that would provide relief from the July heat. The move to early September will not only provide cooler temperatures, but will also allow participants to enjoy lower motel rates,” he said “Also, there will be much less traffic and crowding, allowing participants and sponsors to move about Myrtle Beach with less congestion. Ocean water temperatures will still be perfect for swimming, allowing participants the perfect beach vacation, while being a bit more comfortable to all.”

Not only will it be less congested and cooler, but the new location will also open the door to more car show and cruise-in participants.

“In the past we have had to limit the number of Friday’s Car Show participants and in 2016 registration for the show sold out online in less than 24 hours,” Rodney added. “In 2017, the added parking space will allow us to open the registration to a couple hundred more judged Car Show spots and accommodate a lot more cars during the Cruise-In.”

One other exciting addition offered by the convention center locale is that some sponsor displays will be inside the convention center, so look for Mustang Week event to grow into even more of a mini SEMA Show for Mustang fans.

[​IMG]
    Mustang Week 2017 will be held later in the year in 2017, from September 4-10 2017, and the cruise-in and car show will be held at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, which hosted this year’s Meet ’N Greet.

2. StacyStangz

StacyStangz "Supercharged Stacy" - PR Premium Member

Mustang Week has definitely out grown the mall which isnt a bad thing. I'm excited for the new 2017 dates due to July's heat and the crazy traffic here.

Bottom line... " YAY for more PARKING Spots at the House of Blues Party! " Haha.

3. cobra_4

cobra_4 SEFB Established Member

Well damn there goes my summer vacation. Right on top of Pigeon Forge Rod Run & Shades Of The Past here locally, looks like I'll miss my first one in a long time! :(

The temps will definitely be a little cooler though! Love the new location! Should be a good move overall for the show!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. 5spd07gt

5spd07gt BaggedCobra Established Member

Sept? really? I may not make it either.

5. getTwisted

getTwisted I Remember My First Beer. Established Member

I think this will actually make Mustang Week smaller now. Think of all the parents with kids that will just be starting school. That pretty much will count all of them out. Will count me out also in about 3 years when my kids start school. I like the idea of it, rates will be cheaper and the weather will be cooler but they probably could have stayed at the mall, crowds are definitely going to be affected by the time table.

6. GearGambler

GearGambler New Member Established Member

The Convention center is going to be a great venue for the vendors. More room for additional cars to be judged is certainly a good idea. I just hope that they can do a better job than the meet and greet, which took almost an HOUR to get into the parking lot. I think the timeframe is going to impact a lot of people, negatively - getTwisted hit the nail on the head with school just starting back up. It's also holiday weekend - one that signals the un-official end of summer and families will likely have plans - same plans that happen every year. I can see it conflicting with a lot of local events, the big one for us is the Yellow Bullet Nationals, which is always on Labor Day weekend.

7. 5spd07gt

5spd07gt BaggedCobra Established Member

Yeah my thoughts too. Most kids that's their first or second week of school. Then you also have all the college age kids missing a week of classes. Not to mention most people will still take a summer vacation and may not be able to swing a second one.

I was not a fan of the convention center. Had no idea it cost to just enter. Whole thing was chaotic.

8. motorcycle4

motorcycle4 New Member Established Member

great new location i could not beleive it but my wife instructor at college and no way is she is getting off then so after 10years i will not make it .the event is great and just wish we could come

9. silver03svt

silver03svt Heavy Handed Guidance Counselor Staff Member Super Moderator

The only drawback for that week for a lot of families is that is the FIRST week of the school year, at least around here, where schools start AFTER Labor Day.

10. SILV03MustangGT

SILV03MustangGT Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance Established Member

I think it's gonna hurt more than help. I know I plan my summer vacation around my kids gymnastics and being out of school. I know I may only one out of many but I'm willing to bet there are more like me. Especially those of us that travel further distances.

11. DaBigBone

DaBigBone Premium Member Premium Member

Personally I love the new dates. I can see it hurting attendance overall though.

12. alan0614

alan0614 Member Established Member

Same here. Will be interesting to see if they stay with the new dates.

13. Amhhall

Amhhall New Member

I think the people behind mustang week is making a huge mistake. There are going to be a lot of people who are not going to be able to make the new dates for 2017. The vendors that attend MW are not going to have the sales that they are accustom to and the hotels, restaurants, and resorts are going to suffer as well. I really hope whoever desided to make this change will rethink this.

14. Low 11s

Low 11s New Member Established Member

I LOVE the idea of moving it to September. This will thin out the MiniVan crowd and the crying kids who finger print the 2016 GT 350's. Gives the mall their parking back so people can patronize the businesses. If you LOVE Mustang Week you will make a way!

15. qualls22

qualls22 Member Established Member

Sounds like this is going to hurt them more then anything. I'll still be able to go but what's the fun in that if everyone else can't go?

16. JW03

JW03 Member Established Member

Looks like I will be in the minority on this one, but the new dates may actually mean I go to Mustang Week next year. Maybe it will hurt the attendance, which may make it more enjoyable overall.

17. 96gt02

96gt02 Active Member Established Member

I love these new dates also and thinning out the minivan crowd lol. This just may get me back into going

18. 2001Bullitt

2001Bullitt Active Member Established Member

I am totally ok with the new dates, and less crowding is a huge plus.

19. R.D.P.

R.D.P. Extra Sprinkles Established Member

This also increases the likelihood of me going but I think a move to something like the first or second week in June would have been the best move all around.

20. chuckstang

chuckstang Active Member Established Member

Okay, I'll say, COLLEGE GIRLS

hahahahha