My '70 Mach 1

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Cleveland, and Top Loader, are out.....
a1sozl.jpg

Keith Craft 408w, and TKO 600 are in!

2jcivkj.jpg

More work to do still, but getting close to hearing this beast roar......

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
So, buying a business in the middle of a car build doesn't help get the job done. But, I am back on task!!

The original 9" rear end was pulled, and a custom Currie 9" went in. The Currie unit features a Nodular center section, 3.70 gears, and Currie axles.

13z8nih.jpg

6sv2bn.jpg

Next up.... custom drive shaft.... and then hauled down to Spintech for a custom exhaust.

I should be smoking the tires in about a month, if all goes smoothly.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
And, after a long wait..... it's alive....

[video=youtube;Sf26fVzuXO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf26fVzuXO4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Sounds sweet. What's left on the to do list?

To retain the Shaker, the base is being modified to work with the taller intake manifold. And, the car will soon be heading to Spintech for a custom exhaust system.

Here you can see the original air cleaner base was cut, and dropped about 1", to lower the overall height of the assembly. It is still having fabrication done to it. Once completed, and painted, it will look factory. We also removed the snorkel from the base, and opened up two sections for more air to enter the assembly. These openings will have mesh welded in place.

2ly3b85.jpg

The Shaker now fits just like it did originally....
24exf8i.jpg

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
She just got hauled home from Spintech tonight. While there they installed sub frame connectors, and built a custom side exit exhaust, with race mufflers. The system I requested made turned out so nice, Spintech is making it a catalog item system.

Here is a quick cell phone video. After cleaning up the car, and finishing up more little stuff, I'll post better quality video.

[video]https://youtu.be/DBh4-3hBJF0[/video]

Raul-7

S-code 1967
Established Member
Beautiful! Although I'm partial to 65-67 Mustangs - a well-done Mach 1 or Boss 302 [or even a Boss 429] is a delight to see.

The first generation Mustangs have to be the best Mustangs Ford ever produced; shame so many are left to rot or cut up and turned into 'protouring cars' which IMO ruins the spirit of driving a Classic.

Glad to see you kept it mostly original. :)

Last edited:

Raul-7

S-code 1967
Established Member
I don't use it as a DD, but I certainly could. The thought of leaving it in parking lots everyday, subjecting it to door dings, and absent minded drivers, just makes the car too valuable to use for everyday use. I drive it a lot though, several times a week. And, once the 4 speed is out, and the 5 speed is in, the range in which I drive the car will be extended QUITE a lot.

Agreed. My initial plan was to make my 1967 a DD with some creature comforts; but after realizing how careless other people are on the roads coupled with the poor safety of these cars - it would be sacrilegious to DD them.

The first generations are gorgeous - even better than the current generation, but alas the limitations they have in terms of safety will always resign them to being weekend warriors.

Users who are viewing this thread