My Mishimoto Radiator Install

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
So I bought my car with a Fluidyne in it. It was leaking badly. I am almost certain it was from the radiator being in a bind because it had nowhere to move.

So I went with the Mishimoto and installed their radiator stays. The unit is a great looking piece. It comes fully polished too. This unit has plenty of wiggle room and hopefully won't leak. Thanks to Lethal Performace for the goods :rockon: They don't list the Mishitmoto stays on their site but they can get them for you if you ask. Here is the link: Ford Mustang Aluminum Radiator Stay Set, 1997-2004 , by Mishimoto

Jimmy, thanks for PMing me about the tstat.

Here are the pics.

My hitech skyhook to hold the ABS block while I slot the bracket to slide it back a little. This allows for the ABS lines to not be putting pressure on the back of the fan and radiator:
IMAG0547.jpg

Bracket before slotting:
IMAG0548.jpg

Bracket after slotting & repainting. I used large fender washers to clamp this slotted bracket down:
IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

Radiator:
IMAG0551.jpg

Radiator installed. Notice the flexible Mishimito radiator stays:
IMAG0567.jpg

Clearance now with ABS block slid back. It's still close but trust me. Now I can wiggle the radiator on the passenger side. Before when I did a test fit I couldn't wiggle it at all!
IMAG0563.jpg

IMAG0562.jpg

BTW. You will have to drill new holes in your radiator support to move the intercooler reservoir back a little to accommodate the thicker radiator.

Edit. Added a better pic of the ABS block clearance after slotting:
IMAG1622.jpg

Last edited:

earico

Established Member
So my AC has been kicking off in high temp weather of 100+ degrees. It only kicks off in stop in go traffic and it only happens at idle. Once underway again with air hitting the condenser the AC works perfectly. I have traced it to the 3/4" gap between the radiator fan shroud and the radiator not sucking air thru the radiator and over the condenser like it should. This leads to tripping the high pressure switch as pressure builds in the hot condenser. Thus kicking off the compressor.

So I ordered some of this. You can find it at McMaster-Carr and they sell it by the foot. I ordered 8 feet. I wanted a little extra in case I made a mistake.
fai1360_1

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=hsejnu item# 1120A132

The weatherstrip fit perfectly and was easy to cut with tin snips. Here are the pics:

Before
IMAG1618.jpg

After
IMAG1630.jpg

Weatherstripping
IMAG1619.jpg

Installed. I did not run the weatherstripping at the top. If you look at the original install photos you can see the top of the shroud actually fits snug against the top radiator support bar.
IMAG1621.jpg

IMAG1626.jpg

IMAG1627.jpg

A view from inside the fan area
IMAG1629.jpg

Last edited:

earico

Established Member
Did that keep your compressor from cycling so much?

Exactly. Condensor wasn't getting enough air flow in stop and go traffic. This caused excessive high pressure from the heat and made the compressor cycle in and out too often.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks for the link on the weather stripping. Just ordered some. BTW that McMaster-Carr website rocks. I've used them quite a bit in recent projects for specialty items.

earico

Established Member
Thanks for the link on the weather stripping. Just ordered some. BTW that McMaster-Carr website rocks. I've used them quite a bit in recent projects for specialty items.

You're welcome! :beer:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
When you got you moto. Rad did you get moto. Brackets to go with it or will the stock Rad. Monte work I just got the moto Rad.thanks

MalcolmV8

Established Member
When you got you moto. Rad did you get moto. Brackets to go with it or will the stock Rad. Monte work I just got the moto Rad.thanks

Man some hard grammar there to read lol. No the Mishimoto radiator does not come with the new stays required to install it. The stock ones are solid steel and don't flex to allow installation of the new radiator. You need to order the Mishimoto units. They're made of a thin aluminum and will flex and get the right position.

Here you go. Free shipping even from American Muscle

Mishimoto Aluminum Mustang Upper Radiator Brackets (97-04) MMRS-MUS97 - Free Shipping!

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
How has that weather stripping been holding up??? I am curious since the McMaster website rates it up to 150'F. Either way thanks for adding something to my list of "crap to do" when I get home.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Man some hard grammar there to read lol. No the Mishimoto radiator does not come with the new stays required to install it. The stock ones are solid steel and don't flex to allow installation of the new radiator. You need to order the Mishimoto units. They're made of a thin aluminum and will flex and get the right position.

Here you go. Free shipping even from American Muscle

Mishimoto Aluminum Mustang Upper Radiator Brackets (97-04) MMRS-MUS97 - Free Shipping!
Yo Mon thanks just want I need to now.***. grammar I like to ride.
grammar gotz nothing to do in my lifetime.I wing it. Coonass here.

earico

Established Member
How has that weather stripping been holding up??? I am curious since the McMaster website rates it up to 150'F. Either way thanks for adding something to my list of "crap to do" when I get home.

I suspect that is the rating of the glue they uses to attach the 2 pieces together.

It's been 3 weeks in the desert 100+ degree heat. Mine is holding up fine so far.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I forgot to update this thread but I too have that weather style stripping shown above installed. It hasn't melted or failed yet. We'll see how it holds out long term.

mishimoto

Established Member
earico-nice job on the install write-up and glad to hear it's working good for you.

We've got a new radiator in the works for these cars with a different mounting setup (to help with movement) and better clearance for the ABS system. Also shouldn't have to drill holes in the radiator support.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
earico-nice job on the install write-up and glad to hear it's working good for you.

We've got a new radiator in the works for these cars with a different mounting setup (to help with movement) and better clearance for the ABS system. Also shouldn't have to drill holes in the radiator support.

What about the fan mounts? Have you fixed it so the fan doesn't sit so far away from the radiator and draw in air around the sides of the fan instead of through the radiator?

earico

Established Member

Thanks. Welcome to the forum and thanks for looking into the issue. :beer:

I am very happy with the unit. I expected to need to do some custom work because I believe the units were designed for the GTs and not the Cobras. It would be nice if you made a unit specifically for the Cobra that was a direct fit. These cars are getting old now and there will be more OEM radiator failures to come IMO.

What about the fan mounts? Have you fixed it so the fan doesn't sit so far away from the radiator and draw in air around the sides of the fan instead of through the radiator?

I agree. The problem is the OEM fan shroud is perfectly flat. So the top support bar on the radiator needs to line up flush with the core. The current Mishi radiator top support bar is wider than the core. If it were flush there wouldn't be the gap that you and I experienced.

SVT_Troy

Established Member

Ready to see that and would be happy to R&D it for you if needed ;)

X2 that is a must

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread