My new toy. Deuce and a half

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
I checked it because it did look questionable and marshy. There was only 6-12" of water and the stick I had only went down about a foot or so in the mud. I learned even though a stick with 150lbs behind it won't go down more than a foot doesn't mean a front axle with probably 10K lbs over it won't. My instinct told me no even though it seemed to check out but I still went for it. All or nothing! lol

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Well I picked it up. What was supposed to be a cruise through the mud on the way back turned into a 5 hour recovery effort. We tried for 2 hours to pull it out with my F250 then a guy showed up in a blazer but the thing wouldn't budge. I pulled it into a hole that didn't look deep at all but there was FEET of mud and the front end went strait down. Luckly I ended up getting stuck right by the UPS parking lot so a wrecker was able to winch me out, and it took a SERIOUS freaking wrecker to do it. Here's some pics.

IMAG0364.jpg

lol. they weigh over 13 thousand pounds. so i don't think a mud pit is its natural habitat.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
lol. they weigh over 13 thousand pounds. so i don't think a mud pit is its natural habitat.

Well your quite wrong. Deuces are excellent in mud, but if you get in the nasty stuff it's going to stop anything. Weight is both a pro and a con for mudding, it brings you down to get good traction and the problem can also be that it brings you down. When I had the pitbull maddogs on my F250 I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times I pulled jeeps on the same size tires out of a mud hole and then went right through it in my truck. Weight can benefit you quite a bit, but it can also give you problems.

TheyCallMeDoc

Established Member
OP, I gotta ask, because I saw one this morning at my apartment complex (the Vantage)...were you over at the construction site at the corner of Gallows and 29 (prime offroad country haha)? Or driving through, maybe?

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
OP, I gotta ask, because I saw one this morning at my apartment complex (the Vantage)...were you over at the construction site at the corner of Gallows and 29 (prime offroad country haha)? Or driving through, maybe?

Not this morning, but I came through there last night on the way back from gainesville. I brought it through that place because the turn onto gallows is very hard to make and there's street signs like right on the road there at gallows and 29. The people in chipotle were all staring hardcore, not every day you see some nut in a deuce driving around. I live right up the street from you though right where gallows meets hummer and annandale so I'm sure you'll see me around. I'm heading down there shortly in it to the sunoco there on 29 to let my cousin and the guys there check it out.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I checked it because it did look questionable and marshy. There was only 6-12" of water and the stick I had only went down about a foot or so in the mud. I learned even though a stick with 150lbs behind it won't go down more than a foot doesn't mean a front axle with probably 10K lbs over it won't. My instinct told me no even though it seemed to check out but I still went for it. All or nothing! lol

lol. Yeah we usually bring a quad that's been lifted and sealed to check holes out for us before we try anything.

TheyCallMeDoc

Established Member
Not this morning, but I came through there last night on the way back from gainesville. I brought it through that place because the turn onto gallows is very hard to make and there's street signs like right on the road there at gallows and 29. The people in chipotle were all staring hardcore, not every day you see some nut in a deuce driving around. I live right up the street from you though right where gallows meets hummer and annandale so I'm sure you'll see me around. I'm heading down there shortly in it to the sunoco there on 29 to let my cousin and the guys there check it out.

My days haved blurred together this week, guess it was last night :shrug: Yeah, I'm sure you'll be hard to miss, see you around and sweet purchase! :thumbsup:

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
My days haved blurred together this week, guess it was last night :shrug: Yeah, I'm sure you'll be hard to miss, see you around and sweet purchase! :thumbsup:

Yeah I was right there last night, I came through around 7.

What's the situation with the winch, does it work?

The alluminum shear pin on the driveshaft broke, the alluminum pins are weak to start with and it was probably 20 years old or better. I put a bolt in it to get the cable back in, but I need to order new shear pins. The cable is also original which are known to get brittle and if that thing were to snap it could cut the cab in half. I'm looking into 1/2" and 9/16" synthetic winch rope.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
it's fine till it snags or gets cut.

You've just gotta use a little common sense and rig it correctly, rigged correctly as long as is doesn't rub on anything there should be no issues. The main issue is UV damage but they make a cover for the M35 winch I plan on getting. The main thing is a 1/2" cable is lethal no matter what your in if it snaps.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
it's fine till it snags or gets cut.

True, but a rope snapping is MUCH more safe than a cable breaking.. as the OP stated.

BTW Chronic... you got me looking at all the Deuce vids, and I even joined SteelSoldiers just to check out more trucks! Thank God my HOA would crap a brick.. cause... I'd probably have to buy one soon. HA HA!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread