My Procharger install Review

JustINcase

Established Member
A few people PMed me so I thought I would post this. Hopefully this helps others.

Are you thinking about ordering and installing a Procharger? Not sure if you can do the install yourself? Here is my review and write up of how it went.

First about my abilities. I have always liked cars and always changed my own oil and that’s about it. Then I found YouTube 2 years ago. This tool helped me change my own breaks and do minor repairs. I am by no means a mechanic and I am better behind a keyboard instead of under a hood. With that being said, here is how it went for me from shopping to post install.

1. Had to choose TVS vs Centrifugal. – This took the most time. Reading forums, research, asking around at car shows. I determined centrifugal was the way to go due to the fact I could keep the OEM art work under the hood and the install involved 0 cutting on my 2014 5.0 Premium. I just like the looks of the Ford engine covers. Again, I chose Procharger over Paxton because I did not have to modify the engine cover. For my abilities this was the solution for me.

2. Gears and head unit – Ok I was on the fence on this one. Was the standard gears too loud? Should I get the Helical Gears? I chose standard and I am glad I did. Open the hood it is loud. Still sounds great but rocks in a blender is a good description. My wife thinks something is broken inside :). But close the hood and it is just the right sound. a nice chirping sound. Cant hear the rocks in the blender noise with the hood down and its not obnoxiously loud either. I also opted for the new P1X upgrade to boot. If you are not trying to build a sleeper go with the standard gears. Just my 2 cents t here. They sound AWESOME.

3. Ordering – Was I going to go with CJ Pony parts, American Muscle, Team Beefcake? All three good companies. I chose Team Beefcake and honestly I am glad I did as everybody in the forums where saying that’s the way to go. Terry was very helpful and responsive through the entire process and he has kits that upgraded injectors and include additional add-ons like boost a pump and plugs and so forth. This is why I went with Beefcake. I didn’t have to get to the end of the install and wander why I was not getting enough fuel as he included all the parts needed. I will say, I wish they had an option on the beefcake special to include a boost gauge and catch can. Would have made it that much easier. I had to go out and buy that separately but that is just me nit picking. Excellent service.

4. Shipping = Receiving the Kit, It took about 10 - 12 business days. The wait sucks . Got everything and nothing was missing or broken.

5. Time to install the Kit – To start if you are a skilled mechanic this can be done in 6 hours tops. Then there is me. It took me two 12hr days and on the 3rd day I finished up about half way through the day. I had a delay (as you will read later) but all in all if I did it straight through that is where I would have ended up in hours.

6. The Install

The Good – Ok, I won’t lie it was a lot of fun. I am just now geting into doing things like this my self so it was a great feeling knowing that I can do this. I am now in the post install phase and missing going out to the garage and hooking up pipes and turning the ratchet and tightening bolts. I am already looking for the next mod . Its like a drug now.
The install itself was easy. Are there some tricky parts? When it comes removing the balancer bolt or plumbing the pipes, it can be a bit tricky with the bolt and tight with the plumbing but it will fit. Here is the thing. There are a lot of videos on YouTube to get you going in the right direction. I have a 2014 and I watched install videos for 2015, F150s and even older models. The procedure is pretty darn close across all ford platforms. YouTube gave me a good demonstration on how changing the fuel injectors and putting on the crank pully should go. I even found myself watching videos for every step so I could be prepared. I looked up a video on how to take the bumper cover off, how to change the spark plugs, how to gap spark plugs, how to install a BAP, how to install a boost gauge. YouTube is like a watch it then go do it type of tool. I had to reach out to the forum a few times with questions and IMEYERS and Fuelforfire87 were quick to answer. Especially IMEYERS (a very very very very big thank you for the help). In short, its not hard at all. Watch the videos read the directions and follow them step by step. If you have questions reach out to the forum (lots of great advice here) and if all else fails, call the company you bought the kit from. Dont hesitate to call procharger as well. They are very friendly and will help if you get in a jam. Honestly with YouTube and the great directions they give you, I doubt you will even need to reach out to anybody . The best advice I can give is take your time. Don’t rush as that will lead to issues. Make sure it right. Check you have tightened everything then check again. Its not a race and the extra time spent will serve you well.

The Bad – Well not much was bad but if I had to classify something I will say the only issue I had that delayed the install a few days was a bolt that was in the kit was the wrong size. It was 6 inches instead of 7. I called Procharger and they sent me a bolt right away. I will be honest; it was a freak accident. When I ran into the issue I could not find anything on the internet. The support team (which they were great by the way.) have never seen this happen before and I believe them as I did an exhaustive search on the internet and found 0 complaints about this. I for sure don’t hold it against them but that was the ONLY issue I ran into and to me that was a quick and easy fix and not really an issue with the great support team from Procharger.

The Ugly – Ok I had to load the tune and start this thing up. This was the most nerve-racking part of the project. At one point, when I was done, I did not want to turn the key. I for sure thought this thing was going to blow up and I would be looking at a piston dangling from the roof of my garage. I mean, I work on computer networks so I had every reason to be nervous putting on something that will increase my horse power by 200 or so. I opted for the Lund Racing Custom email tune and they were awesome to work with. I will say I was very happy I chose Lund. They where really fast and responsive to every email I sent.
So I started the car for the first time and BAM a check engine light pops and the car sounds like its got some crazy cam installed. Man, every part of me that was nervous just went through the roof. The first thing I did was grab the Lund tuner and read the code for the check engine and low and behold it said my injector connections for cylinders 3, 5, 6 are not making a good connection. I took off the engine cover pushed on the plug and heard a click. (wow) how the heck did I miss that on those cylinders? After driving a day or so the hose to the throttle body came off just a hair and started to run very very rough. Hence the take your time and check and re-check on tightening things down. Totally worth the time as you can see from this post. Sucks to have to pull over and pop the hood and tighten stuff again. But none the less, after that, everything ran as it should. No other issues besides the few listed above that I created for myself by not rechecking my work.

Summary – I want to say if you can change your breaks you can install this kit. If you cant change your own breaks I would say watch a YouTube video on how to change your breaks and go change your breaks. After that, go buy this kit and watch more videos and install it. It is super easy. On the other end when it comes to inexpensive …. Not so much… But boy was it easy to install with the directions, videos, and help from the forums anybody can do this with some time. Worth every penny I paid. It helps A LOT to have power tools but not required.

Below are all the links to the videos I found helpful and gave me and idea of how to do it.

2015 procharger install P1X
https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/EP2016-21/making-a-mustang-monster

F150 procharger install

How to change plugs

How to upload tune

How to remove bumper cover 2013

2013 Procharger Install non video
http://www.mustangandfords.com/proj...ild-your-own-boss-part-5-procharger-stage-ii/

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Another good Beefcake review. And kudos for tackling it yourself. But where are the pics of your ride/blower?

I assume you weren't quite ready to tackle the billet gears. I guess I found your next DIY project. Enjoy!

JustINcase

Established Member
Another good Beefcake review. And kudos for tackling it yourself. But where are the pics of your ride/blower?

I assume you weren't quite ready to tackle the billet gears. I guess I found your next DIY project. Enjoy!
Yeah I had no idea of what those where until I googled it just now. That would be a fun DIY project. Wish I would have done it when it was all torn apart :)
20170621_202316.jpg

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Congrats on getting everything installed. How fast does the P1X build boost? If you could post some pics of the completed kit.

JustINcase

Established Member

Wow, now I have been doing some reading on oil pump gears. Got me a bit worried now. I might need help to tackle this one.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Glad to hear your install went well, i installed my kit myself too. The only issues i ran into were because i didnt follow the instructions exactly. I would recommend getting your OPG's done too, but if you're not making more than 8-9 lbs of boost you should be fine. Just dont bounce off the rev limiter, thats the number one cause of OPG failures. I had mine replaced after the fact and was lucky to find a shop to install them for a reasonable price. You can do it yourself though. I just didnt want to mess with the timing chains anf stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Thanks, looks great. Can't wait to hear your review of how the car feels.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

JustINcase

Established Member
Glad to hear your install went well, i installed my kit myself too. The only issues i ran into were because i didnt follow the instructions exactly. I would recommend getting your OPG's done too, but if you're not making more than 8-9 lbs of boost you should be fine. Just dont bounce off the rev limiter, thats the number one cause of OPG failures. I had mine replaced after the fact and was lucky to find a shop to install them for a reasonable price. You can do it yourself though. I just didnt want to mess with the timing chains anf stuff.

Yeah the Timing chains has me a bit worried. The rest of it seems straight forward. Do you remember what a reasonable price was 1k? 600? I hit the rev limiter today. I can tell you this. I will not be hitting that thing again. I am going to be extra careful from now on.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
The shop in my area, d mark performance, installed OPG's, crank sprocket gear and a riesche thermostat for 1200. If I didnt already have the blower installed it would have been 900. They have to remove the blower and reinstall it which was why it was more.

7Lemons

Established Member
Sorry to resurrect an 8 month old thread, but I'm currently installing my Procharger P1SC stage II kit on my 13 GT premium, which I purchased from a member on here (used) and I had an install issue/question. First - thanks to the OP for your nice write up to help others (like myself)! The kit instructions for one step say that "you may have to slightly bend" the coolant tube to get the top SC bracket bolt in (and the old bolt out). However, there is no "slight" bending - the tube is downright blocking the bolt and it's a metal tube with no flex at all. I'm afraid if I bend it... it will crack off the head or whatever it's going into. Here is a pic and I circled the area of concern. Did you have this issue... I can't imagine not? I did try to use slight force with a big screwdriver and it did bend 60% out of the way. Do other kits require to bend this short metal coolant tube?

Attachments

• 20180413_231142[1].jpg
    20180413_231142[1].jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 469

7Lemons

Established Member
I see well at least I know it should bend...not break (hopefully)! Funny the wording that Procharger used there. It should say "you will need to very slowly and carefully bend the coolant tube out of the way, to access the top bolt". Thanks for the reply. I have sent an online support request to Procharger to ask...and to also ask for a pulley size/boost table, but they have never responded once. Not impressed at all with them so far.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

imeyers302

Established Member
I see well at least I know it should bend...not break (hopefully)! Funny the wording that Procharger used there. It should say "you will need to very slowly and carefully bend the coolant tube out of the way, to access the top bolt". Thanks for the reply. I have sent an online support request to Procharger to ask...and to also ask for a pulley size/boost table, but they have never responded once. Not impressed at all with them so far.

Try calling. The few times i called i got someone fairly quick. I called when i had to bend the tube. Was nevous also. They assured me thats the way its done and it will bend enough. I imagine they word it that way so that people are extra careful and notnbend the tube to much. What size pulley did your kit come with?

7Lemons

Established Member
Try calling. The few times i called i got someone fairly quick. I called when i had to bend the tube. Was nevous also. They assured me thats the way its done and it will bend enough. I imagine they word it that way so that people are extra careful and notnbend the tube to much. What size pulley did your kit come with?
I should call I guess...but I would prefer email as it's easier for some things since I have a record to recall and search against for reference. It came with 4 pulleys. The 4.00 is on there now. Are they easy to change? I think the 4.00 pulley is going to be around 10-11psi ? I have a boost gauge so I can monitor ...
20180417_203845.jpg

7Lemons

Established Member
Do you have any more pics of the install process?
I do have several I'll have to post some... there not the best or overly meticulous, just good enough so I can remember where things came from/going to, and the process, etc.

I was really uncertain about my deatschwerks 95# injectors. They have extenders or what they call "top hats", and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use one or two retaining clips per injector. But the support guy at deatschwerks cleared it up and he said that I did it correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread