Need advice on preventing swirl marks

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
In the course of the 8 months I've owned my GT, I've only ever hand washed it twice for fear of causing more swirl marks. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong on this car because I never had the issue on my old Cobra. But that car was black versus this car being bright red.

The first time I hand washed it months ago, I used a foam car wash sponge making sure it was clean each pass and then later used a chamois to dry the car and prevent water spots. After doing that, I noticed more swirl marks in the light than before.

Fast forward to more recently, I read about the two bucket method and using a microfiber towel to dry the car instead of a chamois. So I bought a new synthetic wool wash mit along with a microfiber drying towel to dry the car. Even after doing these things and making sure the mit and towel were clean before each pass, I can still see more light scratches/swirl marks in the paint. Not to mention more water spots because after a few panels, the microfiber towel gets soaked and doesn't do much of drying for the rest of the car even if I wring it out. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong here unless you guys are just using 10 different dry towels to dry the entire car lol

So any advice on preventing that or links to better quality products I could order online would be great. I would like to tackle removing these swirl marks myself but I'm not sure what compound would be the safest to use in my situation. I really just want to learn how to detail my car myself and make it look great like you guys do and learn how to further prevent these issues.

Last edited:

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I'm sure some of the better pro's will chime in but here's my $.02. Preventing swirl marks starts with your mitt, your product and your towel. I'm sure you were given some DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option) off the lot. You're going to want to use a good car wash that has good lubrication. Chemical Guys, Optimum etc are all good brands at good prices. These car washes lubricate the between the mitt and the paint and allow the mitt/sponge etc to remove the loose surface particles without scratching. Sounds like you have a decent mitt. I like cobra guzzlers for drying but I'm not sure they are THE best. Beyond the wash you need to correct the existing swirl marks with the right compounds/pads and then protect the paint as best you can with sealants or ceramic coatings etc. Autogeek and Autopia are amazing sites with more knowledge than you can imagine. I'd say venture over there and try not to get too overwhelmed with all the products. Oh and don't forget to clay after washing!!!

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
There is no way to prevent swirl marks when washing the car. It just wont happen. ANY time something touches the car it will get swirled. You can minimize swirls by using the 2 bucket method and a quality wool / microfiber mitt. I dry with air (via leafblower or compressed air) to reduce the amount of swirls.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Not sure if you've seen this product, but it caught my attention and seems to do exactly what you're trying to avoid.
I believe Adamspolishes has something similar

blue 07

Established Member
04 term door handel before.jpg
04 term dor handel after.jpg
Charlie G 2007 Jag 032.jpg
Eli's Challenger 014.jpg
Eli's Challenger 023.jpg
Kennys Boss 302 027.jpg
Kennys Boss 302 047.jpg
Kennys Boss 302 055.jpg
Marks Audi 010.jpg
Marks Audi 013.jpg
04 term door handel before.jpg
Charlie G 2007 Jag 032.jpg
Eli's Challenger 014.jpg
Eli's Challenger 023.jpg
Kennys Boss 302 027.jpg
Kennys Boss 302 047.jpg
Kennys Boss 302 055.jpg
Marks Audi 010.jpg
Marks Audi 013.jpg
Take it from a detailer like myself, since the swirls are already there they are not coming out unless you use a machine on it. So with that in mind, from here you can cover them up or fix them. Fixing them requires a machine, pads, compounds, towels, etc. You can "fill in" those scratches with products like Brilliant Glaze from Adams Premium Car Care, or there are "cleaner waxes" like Revive from Adams as well. Also look on the "Rag Company" website, great towels with awesome prices, I purchase most of my detailing towels there. A great looking car starts with the mitt your washing with, no towels, socks, t shirts or anything of this type should be used . A good mitt with wool or synthetic wool is the best, but in reality, anything you drag on your paint has the ability to scratch it. So 2 things, car wash soap that is ph balanced is the best to use, NO dish washing soap, no crap from the box stores !! Second, try to keep anything from touching your paint !! A foam gun or a foam cannon is the best to use because it puts a layer of lubricity between the mitt and your paint, therefore reducing the amount of swirls and light scratches your mitt causes. Is your car a daily driver ? If so let me know , if not remember this, Keep your hands off your paint as much as possible !! When I wash either one of my stangs I hose off the car as much as possible to remove light dust and dirt you will get from just driving on the road, I then use my foam cannon to foam up my car which pulls out any bit of light dirt that gets caught in the little nooks and crannies,then hose it off, NOT wash it (with a mitt) just hose off all the foam and soap with clean water from your hose, dry it off with my Master Blaster (heated, filtered air) and there is nothing left to do except enjoy the swirl free shine, and I never touched the paint with anything !! Here's a couple pics of what I was talking about. I will be glad to pack my detailing supplies and head to Kentucky if needed !!

Steve1578

Established Member
Stay away from ammo. Not that the products are bad, but they're extremely expensive and better products can be had for cheaper. Best way to prevent scratches and swirls is to use proper technique when washing, and having a good sealing on the vehicle goes a long way too. I have a side business detailing and you should either a chenille wash mitt or a nice wool mitt. You will get scratches and swirls no matter eventually. Using proper soap as mentioned above also goes a long way. Do not use excessive force when washing, just enough to keep the mitt on the car. And go in straight lines one section at a time. Start too from bottom and save the rocker labels and front bumper for last. Think about where most of your dirt is on the car and do those last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve1578

Established Member
I personally use ONR. Minimal scratches and swirls are instilled with proper technique. Bottom line unless you're going touch-less as mentioned above, you're gonna inflict some "damage"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imatk

Established Member
I find most of the swirling is induced by drying not washing.

I use ONR and microfiber towels and my car is a daily driver with very minimal marring... but I use the blot method to dry the car with a CLEAN drying towel.

I usually do a small paint correction once a year (coming up soon) but rarely have to even break out the heavier compound and generally use a polish to correct.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I did read on an other forums that most swirls come from drying. Do you recommend any drying aides when drying?

Imatk

Established Member
Some people use leaf blowers and things like that. I just use a good drying microfiber towel "the guzzler" is really good.

And I blot the water instead of wipe.

Users who are viewing this thread