Need help degreeing cams

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have Trick Flow adjustable gears on the crank, cloyes gears on the intake cams. Found TDC, set the timing wheel to zero, installed adjustable lash adjuster with zero play in the rocker arm. Measured max lift on cylinder 1 and 6 exhaust and intake cams. Measured 0.050" before and after max lift. Added the numbers decided by 2. All good. Cam card is looking for 110, I measured 114 E, 108 I, 113 E and 116 I.

Now here is my problem, I tried adjusting the crank gears (drive exhaust cams) by setting everything back to original and moving key way 2R on both gears. Ran all the same measurements and they were way off. Not even close to 2° difference. Tried multiple times.

Can someone explain to me how to actually change the timing with these gears. I've tried so many different ways and nothing is working like I would think. I'd hate to leave these straight up after spending so much money on this build right now.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't have the trick flow stuff but the cams spin half the speed of the crank, so moving something at the crank won't have move the cams the same amount.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Never mind, I called the cam manufacturer and had them explain it to me. Nowhere on the cam card does it tell you the exhaust centerline, it is a calculated value. They only give you the intake degree. I was going the wrong direction on the exhaust cam and that is why my numbers were going all skewed.

For anyone else wanting to learn, you need to subtract the intake degree # on the cam card.... mine is 110 from the separation # on the card... mine is 114. So 114-110 is 4 degrees. 4 +114 separation is 118. Exhaust cam should be set at 118 and the intake at 110.

I was trying to set both cams at 110 and it was getting all screwed up. Haven't come across this in any of the degreeing videos or write ups. So thought I'd share my findings.

Last edited:

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Keep in mind I did this several years ago so the info may be off.

When I built my NA motor I degreed the cams based off the numbers provided to my via the designer and talking to several folks. I used the Mod-camponents ~sp? adjustable cam gears.

Once I was setup and found TDC I started the timing. I basically started with the driven gears then moved to the driven.
I would rotate the through the entire engine rotation (8 crank rotations?) then adjust and start again.
Basically I would start at zero, make sure the cam was opening the valve at the given setting then rinse and repeat.

I don't have a lot of time to type a lot but if I can help, let me know. I attached some pictures from when I did mine if it helps.

Attachments

• base.JPG
    base.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Dialmount.JPG
    Dialmount.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Dialrodposition.JPG
    Dialrodposition.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG00017.JPG
    IMG00017.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Wheelmount.JPG
    Wheelmount.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 188

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I lost 6hp and 6tq across the curve after degreeing my cams to 110 from straight up on my 2v build, only gained idle quality. I know every build is different, but hope you have better results. Just bummed me out after all the time and $ spent to do it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I won't know what degreeing them will be worth as I am doing a complete new build with higher CR ect. I hope the hours it took was worth it. I will know soon enough when I fire it up soon for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread