Need Input from Whippled Boss 302 Owners

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Hey Guys, found a Whippled Boss I'm considering and wondering what others experiences have been with this SC on the Boss.

What supporting mods are essential?

Anyone with stock tranny and clutch still working ok?

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I like mine, don’t love it though. Mainly due to traction on the street being an issue - even with MPSS (sideways in 3rd). A centri would be a better street blower for the Boss as far as traction goes.

Just changed to 3.31 gears which help a lot! Bought an extra set of rear Boss wheels and put MT drag radials on. Haven’t had a chance to use them due to car being in the shop for clutch engagement issues with McLeod RST.

Stock clutch always had high rpm lockout so I made the switch before the blower install. Stock Tranny is fine. Short throw shifter is a no brainer.

Essential supporting mods would be: Custom Tune (Whipple Tune is too rich), Gear change, drag radials, Fosters Whipple Whine Mod (Screams).
61E6B07D-0323-40AD-A624-3E69D1B84CDC.jpeg

Zemedici

Established Member
I like mine, don’t love it though. Mainly due to traction on the street being an issue - even with MPSS (sideways in 3rd). A centri would be a better street blower for the Boss as far as traction goes.

Just changed to 3.31 gears which help a lot! Bought an extra set of rear Boss wheels and put MT drag radials on. Haven’t had a chance to use them due to car being in the shop for clutch engagement issues with McLeod RST.

Stock clutch always had high rpm lockout so I made the switch before the blower install. Stock Tranny is fine. Short throw shifter is a no brainer.

Essential supporting mods would be: Custom Tune (Whipple Tune is too rich), Gear change, drag radials, Fosters Whipple Whine Mod (Screams). View attachment 1469379

The only tire that will put 600+whp down is a radial.....

And a whine mod is far from essential...lolol

Required supporting mods would enough fuel (ie injectors / BAP / etc) and a good dyno tune. I would NOT rip on the car until you get the tune checked. When i bought my cobra it was on 23PSI for pump gas....some people think that’s ok....it’s not.

Get it checked out by a professional and enjoy! The motors are stout so you shouldn’t have anything to worry about there. The clutch, depends on the driver a lot of the time. We’ve got S550s making 800+ whp on stock clutch still

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
The only tire that will put 600+whp down is a radial.....

And a whine mod is far from essential...lolol

Required supporting mods would enough fuel (ie injectors / BAP / etc...
...can’t run a radial in the rain. A good street tire will be livable with a 3.31 gear and a supercharger that gradually builds boost, opposed to a PD/3.73.

...you’re right, not essential, mandatory!

...Boss Whipple kits come with a BAP and enough fuel to drop down 2 pulley sizes when running their tune.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Thanks Guys for the feedback! No question getting the power effectively to the ground is tough with that kind of RWHP, especially with a twin screw type blower.

One of the things I really liked with my previous Boss was the Track Key and the way it changed the idle to a more lopey one....and the snap, crackle, pop on deceleration. That's one thing I guess that will go out the door since a custom tune will be required. Oh well.....

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I still have lots of snap crackle and pop (Rice Krispies) on decel with my baffles removed from my side exhaust .

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just a point to add.... I drove a 630rwhp centrifical blown Boss, it wouldn’t hook up either. Even in 3rd gear... IMO its as much a product of the short gearing in the trans as it is pd vs centrifical... but I’m sure a pd blower would be even worse. After that drive it erased any thought of going with a blower on mine. Just wasn’t useable power imo.

Flcracker

Established Member
Just a point to add.... I drove a 630rwhp centrifical blown Boss, it wouldn’t hook up either. Even in 3rd gear... IMO its as much a product of the short gearing in the trans as it is pd vs centrifical... but I’m sure a pd blower would be even worse. After that drive it erased any thought of going with a blower on mine. Just wasn’t useable power imo.
Try some Mickey Thompson ET Steet SS tires. I guarantee you it will hook and book.

Users who are viewing this thread