Need opinions - looking hard at a 2014 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 4x4 S Crew

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
with 35k on the clock. Looks like it was sold 3-16-15 according to carfax so I am guessing it has 2 months and 1000 miles of factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Seems like I've read here the best newer 5.0s are 2015-2017. Did I read that wrong? Any concerns I should be aware of on a 2014 5.0?

Thanks in advance.

luker669

Established Member
I have a 14 f150 5.0 and love it, just hit 100,000 miles and have done nothing but brakes and tires since new

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Also trying to figure out what rear gear it has. I have the VIN. The online VIN decoders are showing the three possibilities but not which one.

floodstang

Established Member
I have an 11 F150 4x4 Super Crew with the 5.0 and I love it. I bought it with around 70k miles on it and now it has 125k miles. Other than oil changes, brakes, a set of tires and a radiator hose, it's been great. They get pretty decent mileage for a full size truck. I work at a Ford dealer and we don't see many major issues with them. Send me the VIN and I'll tell you what rear gear it has.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I have an 11 F150 4x4 Super Crew with the 5.0 and I love it. I bought it with around 70k miles on it and now it has 125k miles. Other than oil changes, brakes, a set of tires and a radiator hose, it's been great. They get pretty decent mileage for a full size truck. I work at a Ford dealer and we don't see many major issues with them. Send me the VIN and I'll tell you what rear gear it has.
PM sent. Thanks!

EDIT: Found it, based on code 19 on the door jamb tag it should be a 3.55 rear gear.

Last edited:

01stallion

ford guy
Established Member
I have a 2011 4x4 crew with 288k miles, bought with 80k, became a company truck at 100k. Rear end was replaced about 50-60k miles ago because it was whining. The body is rusting out in both rear quarters and under all the doors. That could be from me not cleaning it enough but I believe it rusted from inside out and I think water is getting in somehow. Guy at work has the same year and color with similar mileage and he doesn't have rust. Drive wise it still runs great and I run it hard and tow trailers frequently with it. It does have a rear main seal leak that started around 250k miles. Only complaint right now is the wiper switch is screwed and the wipers come on at random every minute or so. Sounds like alot but it's been a very reliable truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
with 35k on the clock. Looks like it was sold 3-16-15 according to carfax so I am guessing it has 2 months and 1000 miles of factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Seems like I've read here the best newer 5.0s are 2015-2017. Did I read that wrong? Any concerns I should be aware of on a 2014 5.0?

Thanks in advance.
14 was a fine year. Most the bugs were worked out. As a daily driver the 5.0 is fine. With the 3.55 gears youll be fine with towing light loads.

nate

Established Member
Our travel trailer has a dry weight of 5900 lbs and my truck pulls it just fine loaded up with the family. Only thing I wish is that it had the 3.55 gears. My 2011 did and it made a big difference at cruising speeds.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't worry about the 5.0.
The rocker panels I would check to make sure there are no signs of early rust/bubbling.
Read about it on the Raptor forums, assume it's the same setup on the regular F-150s?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Looks exactly like this, except it's an FX4

2017_ford_f_150_xlt_ingot_silver_in_cincinnati_ohio_9000003485476435991.jpg

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Love the silver. When the GMC hits the bricks Im leaning toward a white sport
I used to hate silver till I ended up with a used car 15 years ago that was silver. They don't show dirt, lol.
My Cobra is silver (because my wife likes silver now), and her Escape is Silver, and her last car was silver.

We used to have a bunch of white cars. Looked like the Sears service fleet in my driveway.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I used to hate silver till I ended up with a used car 15 years ago that was silver. They don't show dirt, lol.
My Cobra is silver (because my wife likes silver now), and her Escape is Silver, and her last car was silver.

We used to have a bunch of white cars. Looked like the Sears service fleet in my driveway.

LOl. I had a silver CBR600 when i was younger and loved the color. Wife hates silver though. Left up to her i would be back in black

Users who are viewing this thread