Need opinions on buying AUTO 2017 5.0 vs manual.

nicksender

Established Member
This guy nailed it. If the mustang came with anything but the crappy mt82 id be driving a manual. I chose the auto because it is the better trans.

I concur with this. I have a friend with a M6 2015 GT and he has had several problems with the trans. even after adding a MGW and new clutch. That was enough testimonial to make me look at an A6.

I just bought an A6 2015 GT but if any other manual trans. was an option I would have got one even as I plan to boost the car in the next year or two.

Plus I don't have to buy heavy duty halfshafts, an aftermarket shifter, and clutch for when I want to drag the car.

Slow Five-O

Established Member
i have an auto ,and the primary reason i didnt buy a manual was the mt-82, if a magnum came stock i would have bought a manual. Manuals are more fun to drive but autos are faster track cars. and a circle d 5c converter really makes autos alot of fun over a stock auto.

Yup I did the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piasared

Established Member
Used to be manuals would give you a hp boost but with the new autos being so dam good I'm thinking of swapping to auto just because there isn't really a reason to stay with a 6 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Yes I asked the question about autos, but I have LOTS of experience with the MT82 in the 5.0. I have owned 3 manual 5.0s. 2-2011s and a 2014. I never, ever had one issue with any of them. And I would be fine driving a new 2016/17 with the manual MT82. However, this is not about issues with the manual. Its about not wanting to row gears anymore. And furthermore its about getting the current 6 speed auto, or waiting for the new auto thats most likely coming. As for the manual problems, there is something to be said about being able to drive it correctly, but I wont get into that. Some say its a bad trans, and others never have problems with it. But I would have no issue getting another. I just dont want a manual nothing.

So with all that being said, should I wait for the 18 or get a 17 auto now?

Coyote Crusader

Established Member
I enjoy rowing through gears. My 2015 isn't too bad in traffic even with the RXT clutch. Plus the wife likes driving a manual. My mom has a 2015 GT auto and I wasn't impressed at all with it. There's a bit of a delay in the shifting. My friends Scat Pack Challenger is the only thing I have to compare it to though and that thing shifts pretty quick. That may be a biased assessment though because I get bored driving an auto, but that's just my opinion.

Shaun@AED

Loved my 2012 MT82.
Hybrid 2/3/4 synchros made for insanely fast shifts.
It's not the trans that's been the problem, it's the slave system. A few modifications to address this area and the MT82 really shines.

We've also had 1000RWHP thru stock MT82's. Holding power is all about the clutch and not shocking the transmission on gear changes.

calebdnehus

Established Member
If you havent bought yet and can wait until the 3rd quarter next year, I talked with a Ford rep and managed to squeze the availability of the 2018 mustang from them. Its supposed to be purchasable in October 2017. I've been keeping close tabs on the rumored options and if they are true, it will be well worth the wait for the 2018. Now for my personal opinion on manual vs auto. I had a 6 speed 2013 that I traded for an auto 16 and I didn't like it one bit. I missed the 6 speed and I am now in a 2017 6 speed track pack that I bought a week ago. I daily'ed my 2013 and it had a heavy and unforgiving clutch and I had rush hour traffic to deal with but I got used to it because the fun factor outside of traffic was amazing and I didnt realize it until I didnt have it. Now that being said, the clutch in theses S550 is MUCH lighter than the S197 coyote. Granted I prefer the heavier S197 clutch, I am slowly getting used to this new one. The lightness of the pedal feel makes it a big hard to pinpoint the engagement point but it doesnt take long to retrain your muscle memory. The only complaint I have is the fact that the S550 tries to rev match your upshifts for you. Like going 1-2-3-4-5-6 is what I'm talking about. You clutch in for the shift and the rpms will drop but will stall at X rpm for the next gear essentially trying to help you shift smoothly. It takes getting used to but I love my mustang again. I would never buy another muscle/sports car with an auto transmission. Its sacrilege.

Last edited:

2k1cobra

Established Member
I opted for a 6 speed even after reading bad reviews on the mt82. I daily drive mine 48 miles back and forth from work and i have no regrets. I plan to stay NA so thats one of the main reasons i got the 6 speed. Its too much damn fun rowing thru the gears. Especially with a couple bolt ons and tune.

DarkMach1

Established Member
If you have no real goals of going fast you made the right decision on going MT82. If you plant to rev it high and make track passes then auto is for you.

calebdnehus

Established Member
If you have no real goals of going fast you made the right decision on going MT82. If you plant to rev it high and make track passes then auto is for you.

That's not necessarily true. While the auto is going to be faster down the track, the MT82 can be ran "fast" as well. The 1-4 scynro's are actually rather stout and the S550 upgrades made to the tranny make it feel even more positive during spirted drivering than the S197 version, I've had both and shifting into 5th while reving high was an issue but in this S550 I have yet to encounter that. Granted you wont need 5th on the 1/4 so that doesnt really matter much. Main point being that a McCleod clutch and steel clutch line on the MT82 with and MGW shifter will make that car shit and get if you want to run it hard. Driving the MT82 is really an art, its not like any other manual I've driven. There's certain way to you have to do it if you want it smooth and quite and once you figure that out, its silky smooth to me

DarkMach1

Established Member
Ok if you say so. Start launching hard and shifting hard and high and check back after a bit.

69b302

Established Member
I DD my 2015 and hit lots of traffic, so opted for the A6. I have had, and still have manuals cars, and they are more fun, but not for daily traffic issues. I have been very happy the the A6, but have a premium with the driving mode option. You need to use sport or track mode to wake up the shifts. A tune will also help an auto be more aggressive. Normal drive mode, with stock tune, was weak. I always changed driving mode to sport or track, until I got the car tuned.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Ok if you say so. Start launching hard and shifting hard and high and check back after a bit.

This could very well be why the MT82 has treated me good. I dont abuse my car on a regular basis or beat on it at the drag strip(closet track is over 2 hours away). That being said, it does get put through its paces whenever someones tries to pull me on the highway. I dont take it to redline generally but shift around 6500-6800. But as I said, thats not an everyday thing so that could be why I dont have much issue with my car. But if you look back at what Shaun over at AED posted, he had an MT82 car that he beat the shit out of and it took like a champ. It all depends on how you drive it and what upgrades you make to better prepare the transmission for what youre going to be doing to it. I completely understand that a stock MT82 cant the shit that can be dished out from some hardcore drivers, but if you toss a little money at it and its a great tranny. We all mod these cars so whats putting a little extra into the manual after you get to upgrade it? Considering the auto is a 1200 or 1500 dollar option from the factory. Personally for me, the fun factory and money saved from going M6 outweighs what I will invest in parts for the transmission. But by all means, that will not be the same for everyone

muscleammo

Established Member
please just wait for the 10spd auto or redesigned 6 speed manual on the 18, ford will release more details next month but its all confirmed, cars will ship june, pointless to buy a 17, old technology

ROCKSLIDE

I love the auto and for city driving it's a must. At 435 hp auto or manual makes little difference to me. But, for the city.....auto all the way.

bunk22

Established Member
So my 2015 A6 was my first auto in my mustang and corvette history. I dont race anymore, at least for now, but I felt the shifts were a bit slow. My local tuner is excellent and shifts, be it auto or paddle, are very aggressive and quick. Now my auto makes 430rwhp SAE with full exhaust, cai, GT 350IM and tune so it is even more fun but a manual is missed for sure. Always fun banging gears.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Old thread but I'll play. And btw if you tune an automatic it's a beast! I'll agree it's not as fun but I can bang out 12.3-12.5 quarter miles almost every single time over and over. Barks the tires at 80mph on the street at WOT

images123_zps21a3x21y.gif

Users who are viewing this thread