Need opinions on buying AUTO 2017 5.0 vs manual.

Branhammer

Established Member
I've never driven an auto that wouldn't have been more fun with a clutch, including the Ferrari F430 I got to do laps in once. Auto=boring and always will, IMO. I don't give a flying shit about being the fastest. Not one of you auto guys is the fastest. There's always someone faster. My goal is to have the most FUN possible.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I've never driven an auto that wouldn't have been more fun with a clutch, including the Ferrari F430 I got to do laps in once. Auto=boring and always will, IMO. I don't give a flying shit about being the fastest. Not one of you auto guys is the fastest. There's always someone faster. My goal is to have the most FUN possible.

If I lost a few races vs those "boring" autos Id be telling myself that as well.

Branhammer

Established Member
If I lost a few races vs those "boring" autos Id be telling myself that as well.

I've won and lost to both autos and manuals. Makes no difference. Unless you have the fastest car on the planet, you're going to lose some. I have more fun in my manual car than I would in any auto car. That's my point.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I've won and lost to both autos and manuals. Makes no difference. Unless you have the fastest car on the planet, you're going to lose some. I have more fun in my manual car than I would in any auto car. That's my point.

You likely have no goals to go fast, just wanted a car to bank some gears, glad you found what you were looking for. GL with the mt82

Branhammer

Established Member
You likely have no goals to go fast, just wanted a car to bank some gears, glad you found what you were looking for. GL with the mt82

Yeah you're not wrong there. My old car was so much slower that this 2015 in stock form is enough (for now). Just a good street car. I've had no issues at all with the MT82 and, like I said, I would be bored with an auto even if it ran 9's. That being said, even if I had a speed goal, if I had to choose a goal of running 10.00 with an auto or 10.50 with a manual, I'd still go manual.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Yeah you're not wrong there. My old car was so much slower that this 2015 in stock form is enough (for now). Just a good street car. I've had no issues at all with the MT82 and, like I said, I would be bored with an auto even if it ran 9's. That being said, even if I had a speed goal, if I had to choose a goal of running 10.00 with an auto or 10.50 with a manual, I'd still go manual.

If it was as easy as giving up a few tenths it would be no problem for me BUT it also means spending a few thousand to beef up the transmission. Also get stronger axles which isnt generally a problem on autos.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
1/4 mile car.. auto without a doubt.

weekend fun car.. manual trans. nothing beats it IMO.

DarkMach1

Established Member
1/4 mile car.. auto without a doubt.

weekend fun car.. manual trans. nothing beats it IMO.

It's only fun if you happen to get an MT82 that's forgiving. Nothing fun about being locked out of gears, clutch problems or worse.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine was fine behind 700+ whp... took it like a champ and shifted beautifully.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
yep... Chinese quality control at its finest...

although there is very little talk of failures on this forum on the s550 platform.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new mustang with this trans.

Famine

Established Member
yep... Chinese quality control at its finest...

although there is very little talk of failures on this forum on the s550 platform.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new mustang with this trans.
I wonder what the difference is here between the two where these dont have issues.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Plenty of problem threads on M6G. There just isn't that many S550 members on this page

Branhammer

Established Member
It's only fun if you happen to get an MT82 that's forgiving. Nothing fun about being locked out of gears, clutch problems or worse.

I guess I've been lucky with mine. Never locked out of a gear. I also don't plan on ever making more than 500 rwhp with this car so hopefully I'll never have any issues. I'd definitely be content with 500 hp.....I think.

Go_on_3

As an A6 owner and boosted I figured I would jump in.

1st -saw a few posted about laggy shifts. That is an easy fix. Lund has a "paddle shift tune" and there is zero lag, not even a little. Hits just like any DSG and just as hard!

2nd - I love the fact I don't have to worry about tossing my trans in the trash because it blew up...we all know the history of the MT82 and while slightly better in the s550 there is a reason why I know a few folks who have started on the 6R80 swaps in their boosted s550's

3rd - It is still fun to drive. while revving back at folks is a pain in the ass I can still bang the gears when I feel like it and have never lost a race due to a miss shift. Having only driven manual previously, I can say I do not miss it as much as I thought I would; especially in traffic!

DarkMach1

Established Member
As an A6 owner and boosted I figured I would jump in.

1st -saw a few posted about laggy shifts. That is an easy fix. Lund has a "paddle shift tune" and there is zero lag, not even a little. Hits just like any DSG and just as hard!

2nd - I love the fact I don't have to worry about tossing my trans in the trash because it blew up...we all know the history of the MT82 and while slightly better in the s550 there is a reason why I know a few folks who have started on the 6R80 swaps in their boosted s550's

3rd - It is still fun to drive. while revving back at folks is a pain in the ass I can still bang the gears when I feel like it and have never lost a race due to a miss shift. Having only driven manual previously, I can say I do not miss it as much as I thought I would; especially in traffic!

Please tell me more. PM me if you like.

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I test drove a '17 premium auto and MT82 car today. The stick would "thud" when putting it into gear and still felt "notchy". It was more fun, but I'm tempted to get the auto just so I know I probably won't have any issues to deal with. I can't believe I just said that, an auto over a stick! I also couldn't believe how many cool features these cars have now. Hell, they have more stuff than my mom's Lexus.

BradleyMac

Established Member
Sounds like you should wait for the 2018. Some quotes off the Ford Site.

The manual transmission has been upgraded for optimal torque. For the V8, the manual transmission has been totally redesigned to include a twin-disc clutch and dual-mass flywheel to increase torque capability and deliver more efficient clutch modulation.

A new 10-speed automatic transmission, available in the 5.0 V8 engine, is the best automatic Mustang has ever offered. With a wide-ratio span and optimized gear spacing, this all-new gearbox helps deliver higher average power for acceleration – improving responsiveness and performance.

Go_on_3

Please tell me more. PM me if you like.

They include it in all of their new tunes and have for a little while now. It hits hard AF and you are in gear instantly. Much more aggressive than putting it in D or S and letting it shift for you. I have found it to be faster on both up and down shift on the paddles.

Users who are viewing this thread