Need some help on swirl marks in a black vehicle

hoamskilet

Established Member
2. Use the 3M White foam pad.

3. Place 5 spots (about the size of a nickle) of the 3M Rubbing Compound p/n 36060 in an area about 18"-24" square.

Note: The Autobody Supply shop sold me this compound last year and I don't know how it compares to other compounds but since I had a large bottle I decided to use it. I'm using this to simply clean the surface and to get the surface to a constant "texture/finish" and remove water spots and it worked great for me.

4. Initially use the buffer at 600 rpm to evenly distribute the rubbing compound on the 18-24" area that you want to polish.

5. Once the polish is evenly distributed speed the RPM's up to 1700rpm and polish that 18-24" area for 8-10 minutes. DO NOT re-apply more compound! Work those 5 dots of compound for 8-10 minutes. The foam pad will NOT scratch the paint. Just keep polishing.

Note: Moving the buffer Side to Side is really slow. I take about 4-6 seconds to move 18-24" maybe faster at times maybe slower at times but I got better results if I kept the movement slower.

6. After the 8-10 minutes is up apply 5 more dots just like above in the same area. Start at 600 RPM to evenly distribute the compound then increase the RPM to 1700 again and work the same area for another 8-10 minutes. Since the radio is on I listen to two or three songs before stopping.

Note: This process can take out minor scratches so I used this to my advantage by repeating this process; about 4-5 times on the worst panels or areas before I even looked at it in the dark.

10. Use the 3M Blue foam pad.

11. Place 5 spots about the size of a dime of the Meguairs 205 in the area you polished above.

12. Initially use the buffer at 600 rpm to evenly distribute the compound on the area that you want to polish.

13. Once the polish is evenly distributed speed the RPM's up to 1200rpm and polish the area for 8-10 minutes. DO NOT apply more compound! Work those 5 dots of compound for 8-10 minutes. The foam pad will NOT scratch the paint. Use the same slow movement as above.

14. After the 8-10 minutes are up Repeat Step 13 one more time but work it 10-15 minutes. The foam pad will NOT scratch the paint.

View attachment 93586 View attachment 93587

You go at the same 2 x 2 spot with a rotary for 8-10 minutes at a time?

KEVINS

Established Member
KEVINS, I was always proud of my 2v turbo build, but damn... Yours puts mine to shame. Not a single detail missed!

Thank you! I'm now making a new 'glass hood from scratch using my hood to make a mold. Hopefully I'll be laying glass this weekend for the mold. Gotta make molds for the top of the hood and the underside of the hood.

ks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread