new build power predictions

budman5023

Established Member
Update: The engine is ordered from dss and will be delivered to Pelligrini Performance Group in Mandisonville,LA for install and tuning, only difference is I am going to use the 195 trick flow heads 44cc instead of the 185s. Should make good power on stock boost and unported blower. My original prediction of 400 rwhp and 500rwtq still stands and will make an excellent street\tow\crusie\dd\maybe dragstrip\long distance truck.

budman5023

Established Member
Update. Called DSS and are the parts are in and they are about to start the build. It is taking longer then they said but at this point, I can be positive that it will be done properly.

budman5023

Established Member
Called today and they have started the build. They decided to go with a custom grind for the cam and are waiting so they can assemble the heads, but they are building the short block while waiting. I will see if i can get some pics. When will then be now? Soon.

budman5023

Established Member
Engine is done and going to quality control then being shipped. I might have an engine in a week or two. Finally!

budman5023

Established Member
Called yesterday and there was an issue with a cam bolt but they said it was sorted out and is on a pallet being prepared for shipping. Don't know what is better, bolted or pressed cam gear. Oh well. Hopefully I get this thing going before SEMA. Everyone is super busy preparing for SEMA and might slow the already delayed project.

budman5023

Established Member
Engine has been shipped!!!! I have the tracking number and will get some pictures when it arrives. I guess I will go ahead and do the turkey pan delete while it is still out the car. Anything else I should do before the motor goes in?

budman5023

Established Member
Engine is finally here!! It was delivered to the terminal in New Orleans on Friday. Unfortunately, I was not told it needed to be picked up so they delivered it on Monday. I went to see it but it is covered in protective plastic and didn't want anything foreign to get in so I left in on. They are going to start putting the other stuff on it this evening and told him to send me some pictures. They said they should have it installed this week then tuned the week after SEMA. So far so good.

budman5023

Established Member
Got a call today and was told they just started putting the covers on and said the previous shop didn't use the right timing cover bolts or valve cover bolts so I had to order em. The tuner is supposed to be there this weekend and I don't think they are going to have it finished in time. The previous shop has made this a nightmare. I guess if they don't finish in time, I will take it to Stang Hi for the dyno tune.

budman5023

Established Member
20161111_142256.jpg 20161111_142450.jpg 20161111_142552.jpg View attachment 20161111_144542.jpg

budman5023

Established Member
Some pics. The tuner is coming next week so we might make it on time. I was told this week but whatever. As long as its done in time.

budman5023

Established Member
update. Well the harmonic balancer bolt was wrong and the water pump impeller from the old motor, hit the block so had to order new ones of each. The BBK headers hit the head so the head had to be ground down a bit. To ease the pain a pit, I ordered new headlights, corner lens, stop tech SS brake lines, and the TFS power steering reservoir relocation bracket. Maybe by Christmas? Holy Hell

budman5023

Established Member
Ok, so the oil intake tube has clearance issues do to the dss main support system. The old motor had a high volume pump and tube and stock pan. I wanted a stock pump pickup and pan seeing I am not going to be abusing this thing. So modifications are being made to a stock pickup so it works with the main support system and stock pan. I was also told there was a cigarette filter stuck to the old pickup screen and there WAS an oil issue in the old motor. Wow. Hopefully the last hick up then the motor is going in.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
That sucks for you OP... wouldn't it be great if engine blocks were clear like plexiglass? So many crooked engine builders charge for high end internals while willingly installing an inferior product. They should all be arrested for fraud..

budman5023

Established Member
So I have been working on the truck for the past 2 days trying to expedite any decision making and working on the stuff they are not familiar with. I had to get the oil pickup shortened and measure oil pan and pickup clearance. When I was out getting it welded, they needed the engine hoist so that stopped my progress. While they did that, I cleaned the radiator, intercooler, and lower intake. Also did the turkey pan mod and got a new 180 t-stat. The intercooler was covered in oil. Took a lot of cleaner to get that clean. Still suspect to me. Might hop online and get a replacement. Hopefully tomorrow we can get back on finishing the the oil pick up and pan.

budman5023

Established Member
The motor is in, but at what cost. A torque converter stud was stripped by other shop and an A/C compressor damaged. Compressor is covered but I told them to try and recut the threads on the converter. It's a circle d converter and wasn't cheap. The radiator expansion tank was caked with sludge because the other shop mixed coolant so replaced it with a new one along with new upper and lower radiator hose. Might need to flush the heater core as well. One day at a time.

budman5023

Established Member
Well the damaged was worse than I thought on the converter. 2 studs were damaged. Called circle d and the turn around was to long with the holidays. I decided to buy an off the shelf, b&m holeshot 2400 stall from summit with next day shipping while I get the circle d sent for repair. Good news, the motor is just about done receiving all the other parts maybe 60% 70%.

97snakebite

Established Member
Man reading all your post and you totally have been "Vindicated".... search vindicated tuning and youll know what i mean

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

budman5023

Established Member
The torque converter came in early this morning and the cooling system is about done. Supercharger going on tomorrow and maybe might be finished by early next week. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread