New Ford Ranger Raptor!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
speaking of baja...Was shameful to market the OG Raptor as a desert runner when actually doing so would **** a factory stock truck up.

ford-svt-raptor-frame-bent-opt.jpg

18n43yw96nrj3jpg.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
From what I remember of those trucks with bent frames, a lot of them were using aftermarket suspension systems with removed/revised bump stops. I even recall one truck being tuned and running like 17 mph faster than it's governed top speed when it hit a ditch and bent the frame.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I think most owners probably had realistic expectations and realize it wasn't a real trophy truck, still Ford shouldn't advertise it as Baja Desert runner with a warranty. All their marketing collateral certainly painted that picture...

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-truth-about-the-ford-raptor-1506180244

The Raptor is not a race vehicle. It is the first only factory built truck designed to go off road at high speeds, and as with all firsts it was met with some misunderstanding. The Raptor is a sports truck, not a race truck. It was built to go off road racing like a Porsche Cayman is built to go to Le Mans from the factory- it wasn't. It is extremely fun to go driving off road in a sporty manner, but if you push it too hard it will break. It is advertised to jump and take rough roads at speed, like Porsches are advertised as being able to corner at high speed. If you drive a Porsche around a unfamiliar track with your foot to the floor you don't blame Porsche when you end up in the tire barrier.

The perception problem people have is that compared to everything else on the road, the Raptor is a pretty extreme prerunner. It has nice suspension components, and it is so easy to drive at speed in the desert it makes you want to go faster and faster. It never feels like it is being abused, and that is part of the problem. You never know when you're approaching the limit until you've already passed it. Another problem is when owners that are new to off road driving try to push their trucks.
Two years later, the bent frame scandal began. A company that specializes in Raptor aftermarket parts organized a "Raptor Run" that owners bought into and the course went from Barstow to Las Vegas on a power line access road. The Raptor is more than capable of driving this road, as is any 4x4 truck. It is long and remote, but easy to do. It is a good road to let the Raptor stretch its legs. The organizing company, pre ran the course the week before the run at high speed and bent the frame on their truck. They also had Lawrance off road GPS in their truck and were marking the course. They did not inform the Raptor owners they damaged their truck and did not give course maps out. They ran all the trucks at racing speed and advertised running at over 100 mph. The Raptor is electronically limited to 100 mph from the factory, so these trucks had modified ECUs that allowed them to go faster. None of the owners had been on the course before and they were being led down it at high speed with no course notes, no maps, and no communication between trucks.
Done right, the Raptor will happily fly all day long and then take you home in comfort, like a Porsche after a track day. If you land the jumps properly, that is. Jumping the trucks isn't how the famous Raptor Frame Scandal began. Hitting dirt kickers at speed is what bent those trucks, and it is far harsher on the truck than jumping it where the suspension is at full droop and all the available travel is there to slow the fall. Kickers on dirt roads are sharp rises, like curbs or speed bumps, that cause your suspension to compress very quickly when taken at speed. The one on the road to Las Vegas that caused the scandal was about 8-12 inches according to people that went on the run. Best case scenario, it will demand the tire move up 8" in a fraction of a second since they were going so fast.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok?

The truck is capable of being jumped. Inexperienced drivers driving to fast for conditions/not knowing the proper approach to the road can cause issues. Not that hard to comprehend.

Or since it says "Born in Baja" you can launch the sumbitch at any speed cause it says Baja and clearly it's a 500k race truck that Ford discounted to 50k!

blk02edge

Established Member
In the Baja? Since that's what the 'real' Raptor was designed for.
Was never actually designed as a baja race truck, if you see the history its actually done quite terrible, regardless it was designed to play around in dirt lol, which is does perfectly fine at depending on whos driving, Ford totally screwed up the original marketing becuase all these flat billed hat wearing cali d-bags thought they were buying a trophy truck haha.

You can jump a stock subaru if you do it right, I still remember the people saying "it was warrantied to jump 10 feet" hahaha what does that even mean

And yes, the ranger raptor would beat the "real raptor" in a stock class at whatever offroad race it entered. It would also simply be more fun on the windy/tighter offroad trails. Ask me how I know. Not trying to be a dink about the fullsize raptor, just shedding some light on those who think the lil guy is stupid, in reality the raptor should have been a ranger to begin with, ford just knew that there are more uniformed people who would buy it cuz its big and shiny

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Watch the FORD sponsored video I posted. It say otherwise.
Ohhh ive seen all the videos including the videos of it in action that ford didnt want people to see... Everything I said stands. Ford did make a Raptor R that was designed for stock class racing but nobody wants to race in a stock class hence why the Raptor is usually the only one involved except last year when it lost to a hummer and a toyota

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Those complaining about the Raptor name on the Ranger that was clearly designed to mimic the F150 Raptor on a smaller scale, wtf? I would not be surprised if the new Bronco also uses the Raptor name if they outfit it similar.

If you want to complain about a name being used different from it's origin, prepare yourselves for the upcoming "Mach 1" electric powered sport SUV...

Users who are viewing this thread