New Massachusetts Inspection Program

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
So I was talking with the owner of the gas station I go to about the new MA Inspection protocol to begin October 1st of this year since I was curious about what would be involved. He said that the bays will now have 5 cameras, one for facial recognition of the inspector, one handheld recorder, and 3 others in the bay itself. He said they will be taking pictures of the front plate, rear plate, VIN, and one other thing I forget. Anything missing or discrepancies out of those 4 items is an automatic R so he said. He also said the RMV will be watching I believe 2500 inspections on a computer per year and you will never know when your car is up to be watched. The same emissions rules will also apply based on what he told me (i.e. 15 year exemption although the visual will still apply). Those of you who have shops/give stickers what have you heard? This is what my guy told me I don't know what you all are hearing if any at all. Might wanna get all your cars inspected before the end of the current program September 30th. He was very brief in his description, says he's not really sure how things will play out.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm in RI and for State Inspections they have the cameras set up now too. It's just ridiculous. Pretty soon they'll have cameras in our homes, oh wait, they already do, we're carrying them around in our pockets.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Just another way for the state to exploit its people.
I don't see this working out to well for the state. What happens when, not if this new software goes down? This is going to cost the shops and us a ton of money and grief.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just another way for the state to exploit its people.
I don't see this working out to well for the state. What happens when, not if this new software goes down? This is going to cost the shops and us a ton of money and grief.
translated: Don't know how I am going to get my illegally equipped car inspected now.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
translated: Don't know how I am going to get my illegally equipped car inspected now.

Yes and no.

Shop has to pay for upgrade along with training for the inspector. Each time that the software or inspection computer is down equates to loss of earnings.

My car passes with flying colors bc I still run cats along with all the other emissions crap. Downside was that I was going to run LT's and remove all the other shit once my car hit 15 years old. If I can't do that now then I'll save myself a few g's lol.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Yes and no.

Shop has to pay for upgrade along with training for the inspector. Each time that the software or inspection computer is down equates to loss of earnings.

My car passes with flying colors bc I still run cats along with all the other emissions crap. Downside was that I was going to run LT's and remove all the other shit once my car hit 15 years old. If I can't do that now then I'll save myself a few g's lol.
Same with me bud, i pass fine too but my exhaust is crap and i became emissions exempt this year, '02, so i was looking to do long tubes and a shorty catted x, i'm going to wait to see how things play out to decide.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I wonder how strict this will be. I decided to throw nonfoulers on the downstream o2 sensors because they are slightly inefficient and give me a check engine light. I wonder if the inspectors will look for them.

Does an 03 become emissions exempt in 2018? And if so, does that mean the check engine light can be on if it is for emissions? Because then I don't really care... I'll pass this year and it wont matter next year. I do have an aftermarket X pipe, but it is catted.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
I wonder how strict this will be. I decided to throw nonfoulers on the downstream o2 sensors because they are slightly inefficient and give me a check engine light. I wonder if the inspectors will look for them.

Does an 03 become emissions exempt in 2018? And if so, does that mean the check engine light can be on if it is for emissions? Because then I don't really care... I'll pass this year and it wont matter next year. I do have an aftermarket X pipe, but it is catted.
2003 will be emissions exempt in 2018, yes. And not sure about how strict it will be but as far as I know, the exhaust becomes a visual only after the 15 year exemption is reached. They did jack up my car to visually inspect the exhaust. When I went in for my inspection this year, the result form only had safety items listed, nothing relating to OBDII or emissions for that matter (EGR, EVAP, O2's etc....). I'm good friends with the shop owner who does my inspection and the way he put it, the days of having your "guy" are over. But with everything, time will tell, things may change.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
so i was looking to do long tubes , i'm going to wait to see how things play out to decide.

This is the route I am going to take as well, I have been telling myself I would do L/T's as soon as the car became emissions exempt. I'll be waiting a while to see how things shake out.

M91196

Established Member
What a waste of money, 99.9% of the cars are unmolested and clean as hell and even the ones that are "illegal" spew almost nothing into the atmosphere. It's a grab to sell equipment supplied by a single source provider, just like the equipment they rolled out in 82(?) and the embarrassing wheel dyno fiasco.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Dont have emissions at all in some parts of Oregon.
Other parts are much like you guys describe , real butt pucker .

01SilverGt

Established Member
So are headers all together illegal now or just long tubes? It's funny I've been running SLP longtubes for 8 years now their illegal what a racket.

01SilverGt

Established Member
The longtubes have always been illegal... just if the person that inspects it cares
That's odd slp stands for street legal performance. Here's the fun fact I've been to the mac center because of my egr not being on the longtubes had it blocked off. Had to remove my p51 intake to install egr and connect it to the long tubes and have my tuner turn the monitor back on. The Mac center said I was ok?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
That's odd slp stands for street legal performance. Here's the fun fact I've been to the mac center because of my egr not being on the longtubes had it blocked off. Had to remove my p51 intake to install egr and connect it to the long tubes and have my tuner turn the monitor back on. The Mac center said I was ok?

you got lucky w your MAC center visit. Which one?

LOL @ thinking your long tubes are legal because the companies name says so

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
A guy from the state just came by my work. He said they wont be installing cameras at my dealer and they said nothing will change as far as visual inspection goes or car mods.

Users who are viewing this thread