New Miami, Ohio Speed Cameras Ticket

97Dustang

Established Member
I used to live in Seven Mile right by New Miami, had to go through these cameras everyday to get to work.... they take a picture if you are going 46 mph or faster in that zone which is a 35

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
A judge’s ruling Tuesday pulling the plug on New Miami’s four mobile speed cameras caught the attention of both Butler County motorists and other police agencies that use automated systems for traffic enforcement.

Butler County Common Pleas Judge Michael Sage issued a permanent injunction putting a stop to the New Miami cameras finding fault with the administrative process the village used to allow people to protest the $95 liability ticket.

The judge also gave the lawsuit class-action status, meaning all who have received tickets are included. Attorney Josh Engel said after the appeal process is completed, and if Sage orders New Miami to pay back the $1 million, then people will get a notice.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/new-miami-speed-cameras-wont-be-missed-residents-s/ndnZX/

john_anch_ak

They tried to use those things here in Alaska back in the '90's if I remember right. They didn't last very long as drivers would take a hammer to those damn things. The ones they used were mounted in vehicles and sitting at stop lights with the ones on the stop lights to be installed later. Those cameras had a hard time taking pictures after meeting with ball peen hammers!! Alaskan's do not like "big brother" watching them. Needless to say, after a few short months the whole idea was scrapped. (we do need something to nail those bastards that speed through school zones though, ain't no excuse for speeding though a school zone!)

Skud

Established Member
A few years back when I was living in Ohio I received a letter in the mail from a legal office in Toledo stating that I had an "outstanding debt" and I needed to pay it immediately or face collections. Very little information was given about what this "debt" was, but if I sent a check for $95 it would be cleared up. I phoned the law office and the paralegal told me it was for a red light camera violation. I hadn't been in the Toledo area in over three years, so I knew it was bogus and asked for a copy of the violation.

Two weeks later I received it in the mail and couldn't stop laughing. The information typed on the citation was the plate number for my 2002 Mustang GT and the vehicle type was listed as "Ford", but the picture was of a late 1990s Jeep Cherokee. There was a close-up of "my plate" which had the first three letters blurred out and the last four were the same as mine. The picture of the plate was very interesting. The image was in black and white and first three letters were quite obscured and illegible, but the last four digits, however, were very clear - almost "too clear" compared to the rest of the photo. It almost looked artificial. If they're sending me a picture of my own plate why blur it at all? No doubt they sent letters out to lots of other people with the same last four digits to see who paid.

I sent them a strongly-worded letter about how I thought their tactics were shady and probably illegal. Never heard from them again. I wanted to post the original I received and I quickly looked in my filing cabinet for that piece of paper with the picture, but it's buried somewhere...

Riley

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Thats awesome. Valencia, CA recently removed all of their red light cameras. Studies showed that while it did lower the amount of people running red lights, it also contributed to more rear end collisions from people slamming on their brakes at a yellow light. The city decided it was probably better to lower the number of rear end collisions.

DropSVT

Established Member
Awesome! Those are just revenue streams for some places. I've been on those twice and I found out that the people who are behind it are in Another state which means if u go to court on it it will be dropped due to them not having an actual officer present for the court day

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread