New Motor Under Ford Warranty

jjandascog1

Established Member
Brought my car in last week with an engine knock, it has 54K on the clock. Found out today that Ford is going to replace the engine with a new one. The email from ford to my service writer specifically stated not to disassemble any rotating components. Only to remove the oil pan and valve covers to inspect for debris. The motor is bone stock.
Has anyone else had a GT500 motor replace under Ford's Power train warranty? Just wondering....

Imatk

Established Member
That's awesome that they're replacing it. I bet it's a rare occurrence which is why they don't want them to disassemble. Probably want to see how it failed at the factory.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is great news for you. Did the knock just gradually develop or did it happen out of the blue like on the freeway, driving around town, etc.?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Consider yourself lucky, my local dealership never wants a to cover anything under warranty. Last time I brought my car in they killed the battery letting it sit w/ the lights on and the shop manager almost didn't replace it, he acted as though he was doing me a favor by replacing the battery that they killed

jjandascog1

Established Member
"That is great news for you. Did the knock just gradually develop or did it happen out of the blue like on the freeway, driving around town, etc.?"

I happened sometime on the 42 mile drive from work to the house, made no noise when I cranked it up to go home, when I exited the freeway and turned under the overpass I could hear it.

"Consider yourself lucky, my local dealership never wants a to cover anything under warranty. Last time I brought my car in they killed the battery letting it sit w/ the lights on and the shop manager almost didn't replace it, he acted as though he was doing me a favor by replacing the battery that they killed"

Sorry about that, luckely the dealership I use has always done great service work, always up front, never tried to get out of fixing anything under warranty for any of the three vehicles they have worked on for me. I know there are bad dealerships out there (like the one we bought our Wrangler from) and I stay far away from them. Hell the Wrangler came with a free oil change and I did not even bring it back for that.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The beauty and potential curse of 2 man teams building these SVT engines are that humans assemble the whole way. Its good because most of these teams are top notch and excel at building high performance engines. The bad part is that they ARE human, and mistakes can happen.

I bought my 2011 from Carmax (...i know right) and on the road test, the engine misfired. Threw multiple/random misfire codes, but would clear itself up. carmax checked and didnt think anything was wrong. I loved the car, knew it was still under powertrain warranty and bought the extended warranty as insurance.

One day it random misfired so bad I had to nurse it home. Made an appointment at my local dealer and had them take a look. 2 MONTHS later, with Ford Engineering and SVT assistance, they found that a washer was missing from the balance bolt, causing the crank reluctor to send false crank movement data to the ECU. ECU saw it, freaked out and interpreted them as hard misfires.

A missing $10 part is probably why my car had 2 previous owners. Ford didnt even point any fingers, or accuse me of having installed and removed an overdrive lower pulley. They instantly fixed it under warranty and even offered a buyback due to the length of time it was down. I of course declined because I love my GT500! That and I could only find 2 2014 GT500s left in California, and the options that i would have had to pay pushed my monthly payment beyond what I was comfortable with. Neither was Race Red either :(

I wouldnt worry about numbers matching at this point either. Keep your documentation and your car's collectible value over the years should be intact.

jjandascog1

Established Member
Motor is being plucked today, should have some pics to share soon. Be interesting to see what went wrong, if that can be determined by dropping the pan and removing the covers. I suspect some metal in the oil and a loose rod.

PS how does one go about posting a video, I have a video of the knocking noise.

jjandascog1

Established Member
"Under warranty? Im assuming you bought the extended?"

I did purchase an extended warranty, 7yrs/100,000 miles but this is being covered under the factory 5yr/60,000 miles powertrain.

jjandascog1

Established Member
*UPDATE*

Dealership got the motor out and, as per Fords instructions, they took they R&R's the rod caps one at a time. Found that #1 cylinder had spun the bearing and #5 cylinder had badly worn bearings and lots of metal in the engine (as expected). The dealership has sent the pictures of the bearings to Ford so the new engine can be ordered.
I attached a picture of the bearing from cylinder 1 for your viewing pleasure....

Attachments

• bad bearing.jpg
    bad bearing.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 211

WVTrakPak

Established Member
THis is why I am using Blackstone Labs. I think I would have early warning if something like this were coming.

jjandascog1

Established Member
"THis is why I am using Blackstone Labs. I think I would have early warning if something like this were coming."

That is a good idea to use something like that but I don't know that Ford would pull an engine (at their cost or even if you agreed to pay) based on a report from a third party lab. Now if there is visible metal in the oil then they will take action, In my case, the in oil change prior to the knock there was no visible metal in the oil

Last edited:

WVTrakPak

Established Member
"THis is why I am using Blackstone Labs. I think I would have early warning if something like this were coming."

That is a good idea to use something like that but I don't know that Ford would pull an engine (at their cost or even if you agreed to pay) based on a report from a third party lab. Now if there is visible metal in the oil then they will take action, In my case, the in oil change prior to the knock there was no visible metal in the oil

Yeah you are probably correct on this. I am unsure if it would help with Ford or not, but I want to know for sure. So far all of mine have been completely normal and that is after 2 days at Barber Motorsports Park. I am very pleased.

moncho

Established Member
THis is why I am using Blackstone Labs. I think I would have early warning if something like this were coming.

I do this on all my vehicles, granted not all the time. Depends if it's high usage (which I do more often) or highly modded vehicle which will eventually be the GT500.

Here are comments I just got back from a recent test on my high mileage Jeep:

Your Jeep is batting 1,000 on perfect reports. A perfect report means no values are sitting outside the expected range, and it's how healthy engines should look in testing. A slightly shorter run than last time yielded a little less iron, which is always ideal. It doesn't look like any mechanical problems are on the horizon for this 3.7L. The
viscosity is appropriate for the grade. Nothing unusual like coolant showed up. Oil filtration handled the latest run like clockwork, as shown by the low amount of insolubles (oxidized solids) in the oil. Try ~8,500 miles next time.

Glad it's working out for the OP.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also use Blackstone (FTW).

Cheers,
Ray

jjandascog1

Established Member
I know there is a lot of talk on whether or not to use a "catch-can" so I have attached a pic of my intercooler after 54K of daily driving. I drive it like it is meant to be driven (I do not pussy foot around) and I do not have a catch can, the motor is 100% stock.

Attachments

• intercooler.jpg
    intercooler.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I know there is a lot of talk on whether or not to use a "catch-can" so I have attached a pic of my intercooler after 54K of daily driving. I drive it like it is meant to be driven (I do not pussy foot around) and I do not have a catch can, the motor is 100% stock.

How bou dat...

Users who are viewing this thread