New Spy Shots—’20 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Snoopy49

Established Member
Speaking of the Tremec DCT, I was just reading about the upcoming 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette. According the May 2018 Car & Driver, the 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette will only come with one transmission choice, a paddle shifted Tremec 8 speed DCT.
That may explain the expansion at Tremec.
It is a good thing that Ford does not compete with the Corvette, because this car, if it lives up to the article, will be one bad mother.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
WHAT??? The GT500 won't have a crankshaft??????? Saves weight I guess.

Read the entire quote before going full nom nom. Cookies await.

Speaking of the Tremec DCT, I was just reading about the upcoming 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette. According the May 2018 Car & Driver, the 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette will only come with one transmission choice, a paddle shifted Tremec 8 speed DCT.
That may explain the expansion at Tremec.
It is a good thing that Ford does not compete with the Corvette, because this car, if it lives up to the article, will be one bad mother.

It does explain the expansion at Tremec. What spooks me most is that if you peruse the job openings at Tremec you see they are still looking to fill critical positions in Belgium (where design work on the DCT has been taking place) as well as in Wixom, MI (where the DCT is to be manufactured).

http://www.tremec.com/careers.php

When I scroll down on the above page and read through the job descriptions I don't get the warmest, fuzziest feeling. The sense I want to have is that Tremec already has key people in place with years of experience behind them that have already conquered this effort and are merely looking to grow.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
WHAT??? The GT500 won't have a crankshaft??????? Saves weight I guess.
Read the entire quote before going full nom nom. Cookies await.-
It will have a super lightweight hexadecagon crank with eight throws on sixteen different angles. The cylinders will all fire at once every two revolutions.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
After all this wait, I hope it's faster than the new ZR1 at the drag strip.
If not, well,.......:confused: o_O :confused:

I know you are only half serious, but with around equal power and probably 500lbs more weight.... there is no way the GT500 can be faster than the ZR1

Breitling

Established Member
They will also likely release some sort of track performance pack to compete with the ZL1 1LE. It will be interesting to see how this plays out without stepping on the GT350's toes

If the new GT500 doesn't step all over the GT350's toes, it will be a failure.

A little more details from Ford would be nice, and appreciated. Trying to decide if I should sell my '14 now so as to be in position to purchase a '19/'20 GT500.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how the 10 speed auto will hold up in the new GT500, if Ford decides to go that way. It is not available as an option in the ZL1 ILE.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If the new GT500 doesn't step all over the GT350's toes, it will be a failure.

A little more details from Ford would be nice, and appreciated. Trying to decide if I should sell my '14 now so as to be in position to purchase a '19/'20 GT500.
Hell no enjoy it this year. Driving season just started up here!
-J

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I know you are only half serious, but with around equal power and probably 500lbs more weight.... there is no way the GT500 can be faster than the ZR1
(In my best Trump voice) Wrong!! lol
I'm actually fully serious. "Maybe" it'll be faster than the Z06?? lol

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
For those who think it's bland, do you believe the current GT-350 is bland?

We know it's missing the rear spoiler. I say wait until the GT-500 is at the showroom and in its final form and then judge it. For sure not everyone is going to like it. Not everyone likes the S550.
Yes,......................under the hood !!!
Compared to the 650, 707, & 840 hp cars running around.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@1 Alibi 2, crazy that in this automotive world of ours that anything less than 550hp is often considered bland. But I hear you on your point. We're just really spoiled. 15 years ago we'd be chomping at the bit for a factory Mustang making 526hp....from the factory. LOL.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What is odd is that while Ford tried to distance itself from the Camaro with the GT350 it would appear is if the ZL1/1LE Camaro has reeled it back in. Ford has to be equal or greater than GM's pony car effort. But at what cost? Do they go balls out with a ride even worse than the DSSV equipped monster or can they provide a mag damped car that offers similar performance with a quick comfort selection? Or is Ford's focus a narrow one with an emphasis on going fast in a straight line only with mediocre handling/braking (which I highly doubt)?

I keep trying to tell y'all. The days of straight-line-only Mustangs are over. The Mustang is now a global car. Being such, it now has to meet the desires of global customers. And by "global", what they really mean is European. Europeans aren't nearly as into straight-line cars as Americans. Europeans like nimble cars that can handle curves and high speed with aplomb. The next GT500 has no choice but to exceed the capabilities of the GT350 at a minimum. And with how long it's taking them to release it, it has no choice but to exceed the Camaros or risk being a complete laughing stock right out of the gate.

@1 Alibi 2, crazy that in this automotive world of ours that anything less than 550hp is often considered bland. But I hear you on your point. We're just really spoiled. 15 years ago we'd be chomping at the bit for a factory Mustang making 526hp....from the factory. LOL.

You forgot to say 526 naturally aspirated HP. It's funny how people will praise the C6 Z06 all day long with its 7K RPM, 505HP engine as though it's the best performance car ever made. Yet, when the GT350 comes along with its 8250 RPM, 526 naturally aspirated HP, it's trash. It's also been shown that you can make insane power with the engine, but then they turn around and try to say the reliability is unknown when boosted. People clearly just like to complain, especially about the GT350. On a Mustang forum, no less...

Users who are viewing this thread