New to the forum and new GT 500 owner track advice needed!

FastE

Just purchased a low millage 2012 Shelby GT 500, BONE stock.
I plan to take it to the track for the first time in a couple of weeks and I need to know some watch outs. I have been drag racing since 1970. I haven't raced a stick since 77, auto since then so got to learn again.
1. I will be running the stock F1 Goodyears that need some heat to work. do not have a line lock. Question. Can i wet the rear tires, drive around the water box back up wet the rear tires and do a second gear burnout(3:73 gears)? Traction control off?
2. Do I make a pass with the traction control on or off? I know it is going to be a learning curve.
3. Any thing I need to watch out for other than getting out of the groove? Will be running a full 1/4 at The Texas Motorplex, nice wide smooth track. I know that I am prepared to lift if anything does not feel right.
Any advice and help is appreciated! Thanks FastE

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have read some owners say they get traction out of the stock tires, on days where it's 90* out.
Traction control ( on ) will limit your ability to go WOT.
Maybe someone who's gone to the track on stock tires will chime in..

FastE

Have read some owners say they get traction out of the stock tires, on days where it's 90* out.
Traction control ( on ) will limit your ability to go WOT.
Maybe someone who's gone to the track on stock tires will chime in..
Well I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of the LMR SVE Drag wheel and tire packages. Was not real comfortable using the F1's as they do not bite at all. I feel more at home on top of a slick or drag radial anyday at the track. These will not be used on the street just track time. Thanks for the replie! FastE

Users who are viewing this thread