New Whipple 2.9 on 2012 : mild surging @ low RPMs

fishpick

Established Member
I just took my newly installed Whipple 2.9 Front Feed (stage 3 with the BAP, big TB, 3.75 pulley) out for the maiden voyage and a few short trips on my 2012 GT Auto and have totally NOT pushed things yet, babying the new install and working up to see what it can do.

One thing I have noticed is that from maybe 1200 - 1600 there is mild surging. Like when in tow at 30 MPH-ish, or that gentle acceleration around a "in town turn"... right in that RPM range with no real load.

Anyone have any thoughts? I was going to plug in and datalog but I have NO IDEA what things to log or what to look for...

fishpick

Established Member
I had a 2.9 whipple on my 2016 and mine did the same in 4th gear. 6 speed though. It's def tune related. Who tuned it?

Whipple via the "your kit comes with a tune" tune...

I figured it was the tune... just don't know what to datalog to prove it is the tune for my analytical mind...

And mine is a 6speed auto...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

chris1badL

Established Member
I think it's hard for these tuners with that big ass TB to get the normal driving around town down. When mine did it I'd just give it a little more gas and it would stop. Talk to Shaun at AED or Ken from Palm beach. They might be able to have a better opinion

Whipple via the "your kit comes with a tune" tune...

I figured it was the tune... just don't know what to datalog to prove it is the tune for my analytical mind...

And mine is a 6speed auto...

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I'm sure you're planning on calling Whipple tomorrow. That's where I'd start.

OT, is your kit a Stage 3? If so, why are you running the 3.75 instead of the 3.65 that it should've come with?

fishpick

Established Member
@chris1badL - I knew the risks with the big mono-blade TB... but folks said that driveability was tuned in their tune for this setup... but I'm also not too concerned because I KNOW the surge can be tuned out.

@RUgoinup? - yes - Whipple is the first call when they open: for a part, this surging question, and now - on the list, a WTF, for the pulley size...

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Post on 6 G forum. A few Whipple owners have gone smaller than 3.65 and may part with theirs. I bought a 3.75 there for $50. Bests $140.

SVTStampede

Established Member
My Magnuson supplied tune did something similar. Like chris1badL, I would fix it with more go pedal.

Then Shaun@AED tuned it, and now it drives better than stock. Obviously I don't have the black hole sized throttle body like you, so not sure if he can correct yours. I can't say enough about how satisfied I am with his tuning.

As for the pulley, is that because it was a Stage 1 that you upgraded to a 3? I didn't request any specific pulley, just Stage 1.

fishpick

Established Member
My Magnuson supplied tune did something similar. Like chris1badL, I would fix it with more go pedal.

Then Shaun@AED tuned it, and now it drives better than stock. Obviously I don't have the black hole sized throttle body like you, so not sure if he can correct yours. I can't say enough about how satisfied I am with his tuning.

As for the pulley, is that because it was a Stage 1 that you upgraded to a 3? I didn't request any specific pulley, just Stage 1.

Yeah, your stock pulley is safely sitting in its box. When I stage 3ed the kit - I guess I ordered the wrong damn size...

I'm calling Whipple first. Already have been emailing w/ Sean last week... just have logistic issues for the 3rd gear WOT pull - that's lose your license speeds ;)

Last edited:

fishpick

Established Member

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Ive posted in that thread. He classism they. One with different sizes as well. Not sure why his came with the 3.75. Give them a call so we can end the madness lol

fishpick

Established Member
Right from the mouth of the fine folks @ Whipple Superchargers at 11:20am EST on 4/10/2017 - for a 11-14 Coyote 2.9 front feed Stage 3 it's a 3.750" pulley

Secondly - I ordered the temp sensor and the pigtail to move the ITA from the MAF to the boosted side of the manifold so it's actually accurate intake temps... and Whipple recommends at that point I get a custom tune with the relocation... I did ask who they "recommend" for a custom tune for a remote dyno session and can PM anyone who is interested.

So the mild surging now falls under the "look to get it fixed in the custom tune category"...

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Not sure who they recommended but I would stick with AED or VMP since you already have experience with them.

Is Whipple unwilling to send you an updated tune for your harness and part throttle surging? I would be a little upset, you paid for a tune and you are having drive ability issues. That is unacceptable, the car should drive stock... you shouldn't have to push the gas harder or modify your driving habits. I guess if you planned on a custom tune this is no big deal but if its not I would raise hell with them. Like I said you paid for a package deal, if they are unwilling to work with you they should refund the cost of the junk tune they gave you.

I really don't know about the 11-14 Whipple tune but on the 15 and up they have those cars pretty dialed in. If you are complaining about the trans being soft id definitely go the custom route. I cant comment on VMP but I have an AED tune on my bolt on car and the auto shifts perfect. Stock the car was so boring and lazy but afterwards it was night and day. I can only imagine how it would be with 200 more whp. Best of luck and we have seen enough pics of your car, its time for some vids!!

fishpick

Established Member
I think that's the same for both kits...

1 -> 2 gets you the smaller pulley (and other things)
2 -> 3 gets you the bigger TB (and other things)

You are not increasing boost @ stage 3, you are increasing available air into the system.

Users who are viewing this thread