Nitto NT05 Street VS Nitto NT555 Gen 2?

builttodrive

Established Member
Anyone have experience with either or both of these tires? I am wondering what would be my best option. Looking to use them on another one of my project cars. The car makes about 500 HP at the crank so not real worried about grip as I'm sure both will be good. The car won't see a lot of miles and wet weather only by accident. I'm more concerned about picking the tire that causes the least body damage (rock chips). The Gen2 has lots of tread and siping to hold small rocks where the Nt05 looks better but if the compound is really sticky they tend to pick up a lot of little rocks too. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Gt500 and love them but they are sticky and do pick up a lot of little rocks.

Sizes will be 255/35-20 front and 305/30-20 rear.

barspen

Established Member
I'm running 555G2's (320 treadwear) for the street. I swap to NT01 for the track.

So far, I like the 555G2s for a DD. They take corners well, look good, are quiet, the price was reasonable and treadwear seem good so far. No issue with being too soft on the street.

The NT01 (100 treadware) is a whole different ballgame. They are listed as competition tires and are mean for the road course. Some people like them for a DD, but the would wear out quick. They are very soft, so they pick up lots of debris.

As for the NT05 (200/140 treadware), it would be right between the others (I have not personally run these). It has a softer compound than the 555G2, so it will wear faster, but you get better traction. I've heard good things from intermediate road course guys who want to step up from a street tire, but don't want a competition tire (NT01, 888R, Hoosier, etc). The NT05 seems like a perfect fit for HPDE and street, but trading off the lifespan of the tires.

If you are worried about picking up a debris, want a longer lasting tire and are doing no or limited HPDE, I'd say the 555G2 is a good choice.

builttodrive

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Barspen,
I think I will be going with the 555G2. I have thought of possibly doing the G2 for the front and 05 for the rear but not sure if that makes the most sense or not. I think the 05 looks nice out back and makes a tire look even wider but I also like my tread to match if possible. Having the same brand helps this though. It would look a bit like a street tire front with a drag radial rear.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't run the Nitto 05...I had the choice to but after seeing that tread design I find it VERY hard to believe it repels even the slightest amount of rain.

SirShaun

Established Member
The NT555 GEN IIs have impressed the crap out of me so far. I doubt I even have 1000 miles on them yet though. Someone else mentioned being amazed by the grip initially when new, but claimed the grip lessened rather quick after some miles. I'm happy so far though. They are handling more power than I ever imagined I could on a street tire.

builttodrive

Established Member
I got a set of Nt555 G2's for the front mounted today and have the rears ordered. The local shop said they were on back order in my size but I found someone online that had them. My initial thoughts for the front is that they look good. Feel like the tread has some decent flex and would be sticky. They also look more filled out then the tire I took off the wheel in the same size which I like! I'm looking forward to seeing the rears on and how they perform.

Last edited:

CruisinCT

Trying to revive this thread - currently looking to upgrade tires and g2 seeming to be the top contender. Nt05 seems like a close 2nd, and I have briefly reviewed MT street comps. Any updated opinions on the g2 now that some years /miles have passed? Or Other suggestions? I have an 00 GT with some basic mods ~400hp, not daily driver, only sees rain by accident. Rear size is 315 and 275 up front. Not a track car.. I want something sticky enough where I can get some better traction in 1st and 2nd, but still be able to throw back end out. Currently have sumi htr on there. Thx

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Given your set up and application and power level, I would probably go with the G2s. Ps4s are another option that I do not think would have trouble hooking up with 315s at 400 hp.

Users who are viewing this thread